Prednisone is evil! Help!?!

(Buffy) #21

I ended up offroading through a carbtastophy. For a good long while. Am on steroids for at least 11 days more. I couldn’t fight it. Call me weak, if it makes you feel better. My bipolar has been so severely wrecked havoc upon, I almost landed in the hospital. The only reason I made it through the last week intact: medical marijuana. It helps keep my cancer pain in check & my crazy under control. I’ve been able to cut my use of opiate based pain meds in half. That is no joke & not as typo. In half. Back to cabtastrophy: I ended up regaining 20lbs.
Today marks my return to the keto way of life. I’m really excited! :laughing:
Here we go back to what was in nothing but a BIG POSITIVE! :smiley::laughing::slight_smile::smile::grin::grinning:

(Buffy) #22

It looks like there is trouble in paradise!
Today, my migraines have returned. For that reason, it is believed my original issue, that my pituitary gland is swollen and pressing on my brsin, had returned. My doctor felt there was no recourse but to increase my prednisone for a week back up to 10mg. Guess who face splatted into and through a box of cookies & cream :icecream: ice cream sandwivhes.? Feeling like a weak idiot. I had slept all day due to the headache. Had a decent supper. Then late tonight: BAM! POW! ICE :icecream: CREAM! SANDWICH! TIME! I hate this drug! It makes me into somebody I don’t recognize! Sorry, all of you wonderful people. I feel like an ass. Feel like I have failed you.

(Karen) #23

Prednisone makes you into a drug seeking monster, only your drug of choice is carbs. Hope your home is carb free. No food purchases in the carb lanes. Binge on bacon, and savory fat bombs. Also you go girl, you have some courage in you to get through.

K

(Andy Hunter) #24

Yep, i had a reletively recent stay in hospital due to Crones desease, which they tried to fix with a high-ish dose of Prednisone, which screwed my bloods and the next thing i knew i was being schooled on type 2 diabetes and told i needed to start injecting insulin!
I think i was pretty far down the road of Type 2 Diabetes anyway and the Prednisone just got me there faster but on the positive side i found out about low carb and Keto! i have no advise on how to prevent the crazy hunger (i would worrying about what to eat next whilst i was still eating a meal) - all i can say is hang in there and (for me at least) once i stopped taking the Prednisone the food cravings also stopped (and so did the insulin injections!).

(Mary) #25

This is a late post, but you inspire me!..
Seems like we are all unique, id be interested to know how you are today!

Ive a friend with sarcoidosis, hoping this diet could help. …

(Rhonda ) #26

Was in ketosis for over a month when a small dose of Prednisone kicked me out. A week later I still show that I am not in Ketosis. How long can it last? Got thru the munches with no carb or no sugar so I should still be ok but its not.

(Pamela Lyon Wirtanen) #27

I’m right there with you! On prednisone for a groin muscle pull. Don’t take it and I have pain through the roof. Take it, and I’m craving sugar, like mad, and even though I’m not giving in, my blood sugar is way high and I’m out of ketosis. :rage:. So hard to know what to do!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #28

Weird. I did a short course, lost weight. I did buy a case of Rebel Ice Cream, which I’m kind of puzzled by, but have lost weight in the week since, as well. Very odd.

(New Keto Friend) #29

@Keto6468 yes it does. I used it a lot the last 8 years in high doses. Terrible. And when the prednisone stops you’re addicted to foods for weeks (and sometimes months) and that food HAS to be carbs. You keep seeking till you’ve got sugary foods. You know, sometimes I even
get nightmares about those sugar addictive prednisone periods… OK… End of rant. Keto on. Pfew :slight_smile:

(Cheryl Hunter) #30

OMGosh I am so glad I found this forum!

I’ve been on my 3rd round of steroids since November 2018 for sinus and cough and I hate life right now! I am on the taper off and have been doing Keto for 3 weeks. 5 more days!!!

I feel like a total hater b@#$%^t! I know it’s the steroids and I know it’ll get better so I soldier on.

I’m sure this is covered in another thread so I’ll hunt for it but I overdid MCT oil this morning and have been paying for it since! So, evil steroids and gastro ails combined, I am NOT having a good day.

(Janelle) #31

I’m sorry you’re having bad day!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #32

I was on higher doses of prednisone before even becoming Keto, Keto helped me control my hunger with prednisone. I was also able to lose while on prednisone.

I had been on it for a year, before Keto and since I have been improving they have begun tapering me off.

I just wanted to post so that you know that it is possible to do Keto while on prednisone. I believe the first two weeks are considerably harder for those of us on prednisone but if you can get through those then it will be easier.

Always take prednisone in the morning it helps considerably, once when I forgot and took it later the cravings were way worse.

(Chris McRoberts) #33

I have Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. I don’t make cortisone, so I have to take 40 mg /day forever. Would cortisone also be causing those problems for me?

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #34

TBH I am not sure as I don’t know the difference between the two. I would go to doctor google and check out some reliable sources. I have done a lot of research about prednisone and my autoimmune disorder, so I know some about that.
@atomicspacebunny might have a better idea, she does a lot of science research.