Potassium, clarity on how much?

I’m seeing a range of between 1g-5g (just under) of K.

What is the correct amount per day and what is the source for this info?

Conventional nutrition tends toward the latter number, which seems almost impossible to consume. You’d need at least 10 avocados a day.

February Zorn Fast 2018
(Bacon, Not Stirred) #2

Everything I’ve seen supports approximately 4500 mg per day. However, there are some blood pressure meds that boost potassium levels. I would check with your physician to see what the optimum level is for you.

Here is a list of my potassium rich keto-friendly foods;
•Spinach (1 cup) – 840mg
•Kale (1 cup) – 330mg
•Avocado (1/2 medium) - 500mg
•Mushrooms (1 cup) - 420mg

I don’t think there’s any way he could know. It’s not something that could be determined. Last I had my elecotrlytes checked was before i started keto and was told they were fine. I doubt my diet then, in terms of K, was radically different.

I don’t know how much a cup is in terms of grams or oz.

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #4

To clarify, 8 oz is one cup.

I meant that if you were concerned about your levels, that your doctor could perform blood tests to tell you whether or not yours are within the normal range. For example, my potassium levels are good, however, my mom has to take a supplement.

I don’t eat 8oz of veg per meal. Is that normal?

I probably eat about that in total a day

(Sonia A.) #6

From what I understand, if you eat enough salt, you don’t need as much potassium as we think. Because salt allows the body to keep the levels of electrolytes high and it prevents them from being excreted. It has a protective effect.

i am not familiar with that claim

(Sonia A.) #8

I think I’ve heard it from Dr Adam Nally on Keto Talk.

So do we know how much potassium to take?

I already add 10g regular salt to my diet, a further 10g of losalt is asking a lot - and drinking it is not pleasant as it tastes horrific. It also comes with a bunch of additives.

(Edith) #10

Wow! 10g! That may be too much. There is a talk on youtube by Dr. Stephen Phinney. At one point he discusses salt and shows a graph of optimal salt intake. If i recall, 10g was outside optimal. Someone may correct me, though.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

All the warning I have seen is about supplementing potassium. If you eat lots of green leafy veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. throughout the day, you probably have plenty.

Most o.t.c. supplemental pills are 99mg. You could try taking those for a week and see if you notice a change. If you are not eating from food sources to provide enough potassium. Good luck.

Sure, but lots in this context seems way more than is practical.

I eat spinach, broccoli, kale and a bit of cucumber, and avocado - about 7oz in total.

Is that enough? I never know exactly how much veg, aside from 20g carb limit, to eat. Some people don’t eat any.

So can we get some clarity on this?

It’s no good saying eat ‘lots’ of greens that doesn’t really answer the question, especially as you’d have to eat a huige amount daily to get 4g from food alone.

Yes, folks - please be careful with supplementing potassium! We all respond differently - and there are many considerations (the state of our kidneys, our sodium levels) but too much is really dangerous.

(m) #15

I personally add 1000mg of potassium a day. (Actually more like 900-something, cause my half salt is 300ish per 1/4 tsp)
I prep the 3 big bottles I drink (minimum) a day with my sodium and potassium supply every morning.

But you aren’t going to eat that much veg a day.

(Zu) #17

Let your body tell you. Everyone’s body and levels are different - eat balanced food and minerals and without any illness you should be ok…

on really long fasts you just know… you get sooky, sad, so itchy you want to hit someone, you get nerve pain and twitches and chest pain - which can be heart or just nerves…

but balance your electrolytes dont just slam up on one… soak your feet in epsom salts and potassium chloride (from produce shop - or potash)

Drink bi carb, and a pinch or himalayan salt, pinch calcium powder, and magnesium - and you can also use a pinch epsom salts and potash too…

(Carpe salata!) #18

Be careful with the potassium supplements and keep them out of reach of the kids. Using 50/50 (Na/K) salt on food should be plenty.

that stuff isn’t 50 50 at all, and is made with a ton of added chemicals

isn’t bi carb damaging to the gut bacteria?