Post-workout meal, oats and blueberries

(jr bob dobbs) #1

I realize this might get me flogged on a keto forum.

I did a strict carnivore diet for approaching seven months, and recently began adding carbs, with a very positive effect on my overall life.

I eat this immediately (within minutes) of finishing a training session in the gym, or a long ruck. Its not a huge amount of nutrients, but I eat < 50g carbs/day, and this gets glycogen restoration processes moving quickly so glucose can be removed from the blood.

I follow this up with a large steak, or steak and eggs, usually about an hour later.

Forced to define it with a gun to my head, I would call my diet “cyclic keto,” as per trendy internet definitions. :grinning:

I have found benefit in this, because on days that I have lower activity, I don’t eat this at all, and my carb intake on those days is below 10g. I have found it very easy, now, to cycle in and out of ketosis with essentially no side effects at all.

(Allie) #2

I’ve played around with similar ideas but am now back to strict keto as it wasn’t suiting me well, I hope you continue to do well with it.

Isn’t it best advised to use the carbs pre workout rather than post?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

The whole idea strikes me as off, somehow. I guess it’s rooted in the notion that insulin is a growth hormone, so eating some carbs to stimulate insulin secretion is the key.

I think the talk about glycogen is a red herring, because in a ketogenic milieu, the liver is making glucose and storing it as glycogen, ready for distribution when the skeletal muscles need explosive power. The liver can share its glycogen, unlike skeletal muscles, which, when they form glycogen, cannot get rid of it, except by metabolising it.

(Robin) #4

Well, it’s all n=1, and you may have found a sweet spot that works for you. You may still be flogged, though. Sorry. :wink:

Whatever works for you. My body surely doesn’t want carbs after my workouts and as I am one person with a super slow muscle gain, I can’t possibly know if carbs would help with that but I don’t care, I eat whatever I want.
But even this forum has members who found carbs somewhere around their workouts beneficial so we shouldn’t bat an eye.

It’s more like targeted keto, cyclic keto has those insanely high-carb (and what’s worse, super low-fat) days, isn’t it? I probably never will need even the former so barely read about them here and there.

Pre for Energy, Post for glycogen replenishment. That’s why I wound up doing both.

Yup, you would. But in case you’re racing to down it, you don’t need to. The whole “anabolic window” mindset it completely debunked at this point. With depleted glycogen, it doesn’t matter when you eat it, either way it’ll start reloading your liver, then muscles. I pretty much eat the same thing pre-workout, with a scoop of protein in there.

Nope, CKD isn’t about super high carb, it’s about enough to replenish muscle glycogen, how much is different for everybody. Carb refeeds don’t equal eating like an idiot, or eating garbage ones, people do it, but that’s more of an equivalent of Dirty CKD if that were a thing, they’re the minority.

I looked it up and it had low-fat high-carb refeed days…

I can look up things that say Keto is frying foods in Canola oil all day long, doesn’t mean it’s the correct way, healthy way, or the way that most that know better are doing it. CKD is pretty much athletic and lifters doing it. There is no “official” way, it’s general guidelines, just like standard keto. The “real” Ketogenic diet is a medical intervention that’s mostly shakes and wouldn’t be enjoyable at all, but that’s not what people do in practice.

What’s “high” carb is completely subjective. Most “average” dude are in the 160-180lb weight range, I’m 225lbs and 181lbs of it is lean mass. I literally have more muscle on me than many guys have total body weight, so what I eat may be “high” for them, but just enough and realistically a little low for me as far as feeding muscle glycogen is concerned. You can’t assume a cookie cutter approach for everybody. On the low fat, of course on a high carb day you’d dial the fat down, the two don’t get along, that doesn’t change, and the point of CKD isn’t to get fat doing it, it’s to have the advantage carbs bring while also having the advantage that low carbs give you, so you clearly wouldn’t mix the two any more than necessary. Even on my standard keto days I don’t eat 1/3 of fat may people here do, I can’t. It’ll stall me out 100%. Learned that about myself long before the CKD/TKD thing.

I ONLY saw the high-carb low-fat CKD, all my life. I looked it up a few times. So I can’t base my opinion about something different. At least I did use it as a question as I am not familiar with it.

Okay, let’s be more specific. Last time I looked it up, I saw 10% fat. That’s super low. Maybe 60% carbs? It’s high, no matter how I look at it, for a normal, athletic person with a proper energy need.

I am the LAST person who use cookie cutter approach for anything, I always say people are different, one needs <5-10g carbs and the other 1000g. I have no problem with that.

Each to their own, I always say. I never could eat low-fat even if I tried. 80g is low-fat to me. 45% fat is low-fat to me. No. Way. I just expressed my very personal opinion about it, regarding me :slight_smile:

This if fine. This is you.

but remember one thing, watch the add backs cause when it works against ya you must be aware but there is never anything wrong ever in off carinvore and back into a "Keto Plan’ that suits you so well.
More power to you find you thru your food intake!

I agree with Robin in that 7 mos carnivore and who knows the path to come here, a back track a bit could suit this person so extremely well one can’t fault it…unless they do this for a few months and find they are ‘lacking, or craving, or finding less vital life’ they had ya know.

@VirginiaEdie found her perfect back also and it was her best interest after ‘elimination’ as she did it to make it work for her so yea, it can happen for many of us to ;go back’ and do so well. Beauty of Carnivore, can we go back after a good amt of times on plan? If one can and learns thru it sure, darn, go there to suit you best!

do you and for the right reasons and find you point blank.

Carnivore, if FULL on for 7 mos. will SHOW so much of what you CAN do going into some planted based limit carb count menu…walk it as it works for you at all times!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Not only that, but it has recently been discovered, apparently, that a much higher-protein ketogenic diet still works to keep seizures under control. The older version was something like 90% fat, which wasn’t enough protein to feed the growth of many of the children put on that diet.

Good point! Fix the Epilepsy… give them Osteoporosis!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Or stunt their growth.

90? Wow, I knew it was quite high but 90?!
It surely didn’t help with making the kids actually eat the overly fatty food either, most of us find that level too much… And as I remember, the kids hadn’t many options like we often have…