Post Surgery on my Gallbladder + Keto Newbie Query

(Damian Joel) #1

Hi All,

I have tried Keto previously briefly, and it worked well for me to a point. However in the last 6 months I had my gallbladder removed. From what I have read (although i could be mistaken) my body will no longer process fats as it used to. With Keto begin relatively high in fats for my body type (endomorph) will i be OK to do it? For reference i don’t have any day to day issues with fats currently to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The gall bladder does not produce bile, it merely stores it. Many people on these forums have had their gall bladder removed. Many of them report no problems whatsoever, while others find that spacing their fat intake throughout the day is helpful. If you use the forum search function to look for “gall bladder” you are sure to find several helpful threads.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

The gallbladder is a storage organ for bile. You can train your liver over time to up the amount of bile released on demand without the bladder as a middleman. Many people without a gallbladder do KETO, it just takes some time for your digestive processes to adjust. @Momof5 and others have done this. When she started out fat made her feel ill, but she has adjusted over several months and eats fat like a champ now. Good luck with your adaptation to KETO life without the gallbladder. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Damian Joel) #4

Thanks Paul, I did do a search for gallbladder (without the space) …probably why i didn’t find as much. But thanks for the swift response

(Damian Joel) #5

Thanks David, Glad to hear it, need to lose a good 30kg (66lb) to be ‘Healthy’ again. Here i goooo…

I had mine removed some 20 years ago, and good riddance. I have no issue with processing fat. I have no issues with anything since my stone producing, digestion clogging gallbladder is gone.

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

I had mine removed in '16, after being keto for just over a year and then more like LCHF before that. I find I can eat anything.

A year ago, after a couple months of NOT fasting, I found I had problems when I tried to fast. That is, I didn’t have problems from eating fat, I had problems from not eating fat (or anything). About 42 hours into a fast I had raging diarrhea. I discovered this around a year ago.

Someone here suggested it could be due to that bile not being absorbed. There are prescription drugs for that which are really cholesterol lowering drugs, but not statins. After some reading, I found that those were a lot like dietary fiber and decided to try a bottle of Metamucil fiber supplement. I can’t say I understand all this, but I know that since around the start of last May, when I started the Metamucil, I can fast at will and I have no problems eating or not eating.

(Marianne) #8

Very encouraging.

Welcome Wonky
I had my gall bladder removed in July. I am doing fine on keto!

Psyllium husk, as found in Metamucil, is the best thing for ingesting bulk fiber. Plain psyllium husk in water is the most efficient, but some people can’t drink it fast enough to avoid it bulking up in the glass. Taking two smaller portions instead of one full one helps that. Also, there are capsules with plain psyllium husk. It’s got 1.3 grams of carbs and 1.1 grams of fiber.

(Doug) #11

:+1: :sunglasses: I hope so, David! Never heard that, but such adaptability would be sweet.

Word. :slightly_smiling_face:

:smile: Same here. Had a really good doctor who removed my gallbladder, and he told me it was “really infected and full of stones.” He showed me the hospital’s “Gallstone Book” - hundreds of pictures, wildly differing and colorful. Mine made it in - they were black with gold-flake swirls in them; really pretty… :relaxed::neutral_face:

Right on - it was July 2015 for me. Haven’t looked back or been one bit sorry.

(Susan) #12

I had my gallbladder out in December 2003, and I have been on Keto since February 2019 and I have lost 57 pounds so far. I am living proof that you can definitely do Keto with no gallbladder =).

(Damian Joel) #13

Thanks Susan, Very informative :slight_smile:

(Flo Rock) #14

I did keto before my gallbladder was removed and it was awesome. I got extremely lean and i felt great. The only thing I find with keto now is I do get bloated and I take ox bile supplements to help with the bile concentration. The weight loss is slower. (But can be because I cheat occasionally) My digestion is tricky. However, I tend to only eat one
to two meals a day. I’m still trying to maneuver and figure it out. However, yes I think we are ok. :wink:

(Susan) #15

Welcome to the forum @Flo_Rock

feel free to introduce yourself on your own thread as a newcomer so everyone sees that you are new here and can welcome you.

I am sure that you will love it here like we all do =).