Possibly worth its own subcategory: Alcohol and keto?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #21

No shit! Mine were SO bad, I never overindulge anymore!!!

(Jannik Mortensen) #22

Thatā€™s odd.

Need to drink some more thenā€¦ just for the science :slight_smile:

(ianrobo) #23

yep @brenda get over NYE and back to zero intake again

(Vesa McD) #24

Something interesting happens to me with my own older breathalyzer. When Iā€™ve been breathing shallow and breath into it in my normal state of ketosis I max it out at 4.0. A few tries later and deep heavier breathing and I can get it down to 0.2 (0.5 is the legal limit here in Finland.

So my normal ketogenic state produces a result of 0.2, EXCEPT when Iā€™ve had some wine the night before morning testing. Then the morning result is 0.0 (zero, nothing). I think that the alcohol in the wine stops my body from making ketones, I burn through all of the ketones I have during the night, as well as burn off the alcohol with my liver, producing a zero result (effectively producing a very light glucose burning state).

By late afternoon the breathalyzer has the same 0.2 result. So, oddly enough, if I want to get completely zero result on all breathalyzers, I need to drink wine (or have carbs) about 12 hours before testing.

(I like to post memes!) #25

I heart r/retodrunk!

(Casey Brown) #26

Came to the forum this morning to search ā€œhangover.ā€ I am Day 6 on keto and last night I had some vodka and diet sprite and this morning is the WORST. Vomited 5 times. If itā€™s too much information, sorry!! But I should have heeded these warnings before drinking. I hardly got drunk but I feel like Iā€™m dying. Donā€™t do it, people! Donā€™t!

(Jannik Mortensen) #27

just stay with the vodka and ditch the soda.

(Dave) #28

Yeah I have had some brutal hangovers on Keto but they get a bit better once your full adapted. Still a lot worse than before though. I have a bucks party coming up and I know that I will enter enter a world of pain after it but somehow I still feel the need to get loose occasionally.

Any go-to Keto Cocktail recipes??

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #29

Guize.
I have had such HORRENDOUS hangovers since being ketogenic it has put me off drinking!!
ā€¦beyond the occasional small (4ounce!) glass of dry red or one or two shots of (my favorite, anejo) tequila.

That is IT! Anything more and I feel like DEATH

(ketohealthclub) #30

Ive never been much of a drinker, but over Christmas I enjoyed a weekendā€™s worth of vanilla vodka mixed with coffee and cream. Man, it was so good! I had 3 oz of vodka and I could feel it, but I wasnā€™t drunk. I wouldnā€™t have wanted to drive, though. Being vodka, it did not affect my ketosis, however, there is no fat burning while alcohol is being metabolized. Still, I did quite well with my weight loss after that weekend, since I fast for 36- 44 hrs three days a week.

(ketohealthclub) #31

Funny- I wrote my comment before seeing yours. Yes, alcohol (hard liquor) is known to halt fat-burning even though it doesnā€™t take you out of ketosis. Your body metabolizes the alcohol first. I guess thatā€™s why they say alcohol should be considered the fourth macro.

(KB) #32

So I just got a blood meter. Iā€™ve been keto for 8 mo. N=1:
Took a baseline got 2.7. Tested 2 hrs later after food:2.5. Tested 2 hrs after dirty martini, no vermouth: 2.1. Very interesting! Shocked that there are any ketones. I tested a few hours later after a second and ketones were down to .8. This morning I tested at 1.2.

(paddy0761) #33

I certainly canā€™t drink as much now, but that probably has a lot to do with a 25% weight reduction.

If I crack a bottle of wine in the evening, Iā€™ll usually fast (coffee & cream only) until about 5pm the next day. Iā€™m always solidly back in ketosis by 10am anyway. I imagine beer or mixers might be different due to the carb load.

(ketohealthclub) #34

I guess your N=1 shows suppression of lipolysis/fat burning. And you were still in ketosis. I love experiments.

(Georgette) #35

I donā€™t get hungover when I drink now. My problem is hellacious muscle cramps that will not go away. I had one shot of anejo tequila Saturday night. Woke up 6 different times with muscle cramps and could it walk them off. I make sure Iā€™m well hydrated and that I have my electrolytes in check. By my recent blood work, Iā€™m not deficient in either magnesium or potassium. I also have plenty of salt. I have to rub biofreeze on my joints and muscles shen this happens. Anyone else go through this?

(KB) #36

Have you tried magnesium glycinate before bed? Mg does help with cramping.

(Georgette) #37

Iā€™ve tried all forms of magnesium before bed when I drink and nothing works. I mean nothing.

(Jamie Hayes) #39

After 40 years of enjoying a couple of glasses of red each night I discovered that it started causing chest congestion. Iā€™ve switched to white alcohol (mainly gin) and Pelegrino on ice. Tonic is just as sugared as lemonade, and I avoid artificially sweetened drinks.

It took me a few weeks to stop really missing the wine.

But regardless of ethanolā€™s effect on ketosis, the cough has gone and I sleep better, and hardly snore. This means my wife sleeps better too. Poor sleep is a hormonal disrupter that affects insulin and all its pathways.

(anonymous294) #40

@erdoke, @richard, @Marty_Kendall, or anyone else with supporting scientic info:

If one wishes to maintain ketosis as much as possible, as well as to minimize insulin spikes & blood glucose responseā€¦ Is it advisable to consume fatty snacks with alcoholic beverages (low carb, of course) &/or to drink fatty cocktails vs consuming the alcohol solely by itself without fat? Just trying to figure out which best practices are most consistent with maintaining a ketogenic lifestyle if one is insulin resistant. Thank You!

(Gabor Erdosi) #41

I donā€™t think alcohol is essential for staying in ketosis. Moderate consumption wonā€™t kick you out of ketosis, either.