Possible Keto Refried Beans

(Teb Tengri) #1

Working on getting boiled flax seed, sour cream and lard into a tasty refried bean like paste.

Anyone have any experience in flax and their bodies reactions to it and in what quantities?

(Bunny) #2

I eat real (pinto) beans when I want them, nothing wrong with beans on keto but may want to limit to a cup (cooked) if you are just starting keto.

(Teb Tengri) #3

My “working” on it actually involves mixing a varying amount of pintos in too to get a better texture.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Flax seeds are very high in phytoestrogens and I don’t eat them ever. I don’t think they’re good for men at all and actually quite harmful. They are endocrine disrupters and have bad affects on hormonal balance. They will lower your testosterone levels. They fit keto profiles but to me there’s other things to consider than carbs. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Teb Tengri) #5

I’m in Mexico. I can get testosterone injectable in Walmart :rofl:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

That’s not the same thing at all, you’re still flooding you body with estrogen compounds that block your hormonal receptors, it’s more complex than injecting testosterone. Producing your own is what your body needs and that only happens with hormonal balance. You can easily read up on it, tons of information out there.
Lots of it is conflicting so make your own choice.

I also stick with the real deal beans, however I use organic black soybeans, which are super duper low carb. I learned about them from the Drs. Eades (LCHF/keto cornerstone physicians who wrote the classic Protein Power) - they have a fab recipe for black soybean bread in their low carb cookbook.

I use the black soybeans also for indian bean curries, but mix them half n’ half with kidney beans for the more traditional flavor. And last week I did a eat limited amount of refried pinto beans when out a historic Mexican restaurant (accompanied by fresh fried tortilla chips and making my carb day total around 75g, which I aspire to a few days a week).

I didn’t start incorporating the higher carb beans n’ stuff till well established in fat adaptation so that I wouldn’t return to my previously inclinations towards gigantic plates of meatless rice/beans/yogurt (I’ve pretty effortlessly avoided such type of carb-bingeing, thankfully, without deprivation - probably due in large part to proper amounts of fatty animal protein!).

(Teb Tengri) #8

I don’t think 30g of beans once in a blue moon are gonna do any worse than all the environmental pollutants that affect test and the HPT axis. I’ve got raloxifene and tamoxifen at home if I’m really worried about it

(Bunny) #9

Men don’t have as many estrogen receptors as women and phytoestrogens compared to xenoestrogens (e.g. endocrine disrupters; obesogens; like from insecticides = bad estrogens) are like night and day; phytoestrogens are not going to hang around long enough to do any damage in a male or female and are 200x weaker than real endogenous sex gland, adrenal, pituitary estrogens or testosterone synthesized from pregnenolone. Xeno-estrogens or the chemical type are around 30,000x stronger than Phytoestrogens.

Personal Note: Calcium D - glucarate enhances the body’s natural defenses against environmental toxins and excess steroid hormones. During glucuronidation, the enzyme glucuronosyltransferase catalyzes the conjugation of free carcinogens and steroid hormones to glucuronic acid which is high in artichoke at the ends of the pointy sticker like leafs and its core center. …see also The Healing Power of Jerusalem Artichoke Powder & High Beta-Glucuronidase and How it Affects Estrogen and Detoxification

References:

[1] Evidence for up-regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor mRNA by soy phytoestrogens in the frontal cortex of retired breeder female rats.

[2] Phytoestrogens and Gynecomastia: “…A change in hormone levels, including androgen and estrogen levels, is a common cause of gynecomastia. Some foods, including soy foods such as tofu and soy milk, contain a plant form of estrogen called phytoestrogen. You may worry that these natural sources of estrogen have an impact on your estrogen levels and may be responsible for your enlarged breasts. However, according to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, the estrogen in the foods does not increase your estrogen levels and likely has nothing to do with your gynecomastia. In fact, phytoestrogens in your diet may help reduce your risk of prostate cancer. …” …More

[3] “…And specifically in relation to estrogen, there is an enzyme called beta glucuronidase in our gut, which can break down estrogen. When this enzyme is active it causes the release of estrogen, making it freely available to re-circulate in our bodies and be active once again. When we have higher amounts of beta glucuronidase we can cause an increase in circulating estrogen, and vice versa with too little beta glucuronidase causing too little estrogen .

[4] “…In this review, we discuss how the intestinal bacterial microbiome and in particular how an ‘estrobolome,’ the aggregate of enteric bacterial genes capable of metabolizing estrogens, might affect women’s risk of developing postmenopausal estrogen receptor–positive breast cancer. Estrobolome composition is impacted by factors that modulate its functional activity. Exploring variations in the composition and activities of the estrobolome in healthy individuals and in women with estrogen-driven breast cancer may lead to development of microbiome-based biomarkers and future targeted interventions to attenuate cancer risk. …” …More

[5] “…As approximately 10% to 15% of injected radiolabeled estradiol, estrone, and estriol are found in conjugated form in feces (35,36), a biologically significant proportion of estrogens are reabsorbed in the circulation . Hepatically conjugated estrogens excreted in the bile can be deconjugated by bacterial species with ß-glucuronidase activity in the gut, *leading to their reabsorption into the circulation. Especially relevant are gut bacteria possessing ß-glucuronidases and ß-glucosidases , hydrolytic enzymes involved in the deconjugation of estrogens (Figure 1) (37–41). …” …More

Fig. 1 The estrobolome and enterohepatic circulation of estrogens. Estrogens are primarily produced in the ovaries, adrenal glands, and adipose tissue and circulate in the bloodstream in free or protein-bound form and first undergo metabolism in the liver, where estrogens and their metabolites are conjugated. Conjugated estrogens are eliminated from the body by metabolic conversion to water-soluble molecules, which are excreted in urine or in bile into the feces. The conjugated estrogens excreted in the bile can be deconjugated by bacterial species in the gut with beta-glucuronidase activity (constituents of the ‘estrobolome’), subsequently leading to estrogen reabsorption into the circulation**. Circulating estrogens exert effects on target tissues including breast, which stimulate cellular growth and proliferation. By modulating the enterohepatic circulation of estrogens, the estrobolome affects both the excretion and circulation of estrogens. In turn, the composition of the estrobolome can be shaped by factors such as antibiotics, other drugs, and diet that modulate its functional activity. Adapted from Plottel SC, Blaser MJ. Microbiome and malignancy. Cell Host Microbe. 2011;10(4):324-335.

[6] The Microbiome–Estrogen Connection and Breast Cancer Risk: “…Gut bacteria possessing β-glucuronidase activity can deconjugate the conjugated estrogens leading to reabsorption into the circulation. In addition, enteric microbes synthesize estrogen-like compounds or estrogen mimics from dietary sources. …More

[7] Rachel’s Hormone Story

Insulin and effects when practicing ketosis
(Teb Tengri) #10

@atomicspacebunny one thing I wish I knew and had access to when I was a teen are aromatase inhibitors. Their reduction of estrogen levels delays the sealing of growth plates in bone and increases final adult height. It would have given me the extra 2" I need to break 6’ even. Way cheaper than growth hormone too.

Ah well, when my son hits 15 or so I’ll bring it up with him and show him the research and see what he wants to do.

(Bunny) #11

[1] “…5-alpha reductase deficiency is a condition that affects male sexual development before birth and during puberty. People with this condition are genetically male, with one X and one Y chromosome in each cell, and they have male gonads (testes). Their bodies, however, do not produce enough of a hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT has a critical role in male sexual development, and a shortage of this hormone disrupts the formation of the external sex organs before birth. …” …More

(Teb Tengri) #12

I’m in Mexico though. I don’t need to suck up to a medical professional to get government permission to buy pretty much whatever I want.

If the US had Mexico’s access to most pharmaceuticals and the access to firearms we have as Americans it would be the ultimate liberty! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

I friggen LOVE Mexico for that! You know how much money I spend on that crap!