Pork rinds vs pork cracklings

(Jacqueline Magana ) #1

I love pork rinds for crushing into dust to use as breading or using them to dip or scoop up stuff. But for snacking I loooooove pork cracklings. While pork rinds are fluffy, cracklings have a layer of delicious fat attached to the fluffy skin…omg so delicious. The only thing more delicious is the chicharrones you get at Mexican stores that have a deli. You get a huge thick piece of meat attached to a crunchy skin also called pork belly. Amazing

(Jay Morris) #2

For those who live in the Southern states the term Cracklings is used, If your in the South West region, the name is Chicharrones Con Carne (with meat).

(Jaime) #3

And if you’re in New England, most people have no idea what a pork rind is, lol. I exaggerate, but not by much. They are hard to find out here, rinds or cracklings.

(Arlene) #4

If you can find someone that sells pastured pork in your area, you might be able to buy bags of pork skin from them. That’s what I did, then I looked up on line how to soak, slice, and dry (I use my smoker for drying and flavor). At this point they’re ready to cut up and fry into cracklings or pork rinds. I store my pieces in the freezer and take them out and fry up a few or a lot as a fun treat sometimes.

(Kathy Swinkels) #5

tell me more…
I have a smoker but don’t use it as much as I should. But I buy pork bellies and pork skins often to cook up in the oven.

(Arlene) #6

Kathy, I don’t use my smoker a lot, but it’s vital when I need it. At hog butchering time every year, I smoke my bacon slabs. Sometimes I make jerky from a sliced up beef roast. This also goes in the smoker. Regarding pork skins, these require simmering for a little while in some salted water till you can slice them into strips easily, and then into small pieces. The salt water can also have other spices for flavor, if you like. My pork skins were very fatty, so I had to also trim some of the fat at this time, which I rendered into lard. I hate wasting stuff. I put the pieces in the smoker for a while, usually around 4 hours. Smoker temp was probably around 160, but I can’t remember because it’s been a while. I didn’t dry them crispy, more like jerky texture. Once dry, they go into a freezer bag till I want to fry some up. I hope that helps you.

(KFdriscoll%) #7

In Eastern Ma you can get Pork Rinds At Wal*Mart, Big Lots, and Market Basket.

(Jaime) #8

Yeah I’ve found them at Shaws and Hannafords too but only the cracklins at Walmart. Of course Stop and Shop is my closest grocery and they don’t seem to carry them

(Katha) #9

Does anyone know where to buy pork rinds in Australia? Thanks in advance!

(VLC.MD) #10

How to make Pork Rinds:

(1) you take your pork skin chunks.
(2) put them in hot oil.

Done.

(Zoe ) #11

I have found some in Australia just recently. I have found them in coles in the chips section, near the jerky and nuts. They were on the bottom shelf and called pork krackles. I also found another brand in a bottle shop- I think coles version of bottle shop - liquorland?? They were a brand by Nobby’s . Nobby’s also do nuts. I am going to try some asian stores in Victoria St, Richmond sometime and see if I can find some other versions.

Pork rinds and cream cheese-OMG
(Katha) #12

I have also found them at Dan Murphy’s bottle shop now, they have Nobby’s and another brand. And my local butcher now actually sells them as well! They all taste slightly different. But still cannot find them in Coles or Woolies.

(Chris Ward) #13

Louisiana is the best place to get hot fresh pork Cracklin’ . You can even look them up on google and mail order them fresher then the store. But they aren’t hard to make in a fryer. The traditional way takes a few hours to make.
You do have to be careful some will use dextrose in their seasoning.

(Deb Erber) #14

I really want to like pork rinds! It would be so nice to have an easy cheap snack and dipper. My husband eats them every night for a snack and I can’t stand the smell. I’ve tried a couple different flavored kinds but they still taste like rancid grease to me and when you get a rock hard chunk it gags me. Does anyone know of a brand that has a very mild flavor and no hard chunks?

Mac’s are good, Better Made are good. Both are in yellow bags.

I tried Cracklins and they grossed me out a little bit but regular pork rinds are fine.

(Troy) #16

To add…
Just ran out of Utz brand :sweat:

I was surprised, just bought Mission Brand today at Winco…did so about a month ago as well
For me @Ketoif, not too many hard cracklings and light tasting
PERFECT for egg yolk sopping😍

Ymmv
2 for 2 good Luck so far
Not bad at all😁

In the UK, the fatty ones are called scratchings, and the lighter ones are crunch. There are others described as crackles which can be either in my experience.

Anyone know where I can find pork crunch UNSEASONED (no salt), in the UK please?

BTW, I meant to say, I live on these things mmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for explaining the difference, i thought they were the same thing- will give it a try!

(Rita) #20

As far as taste goes, I try to get the hot, spicy ones. They don’t smell as pungent. I also dip them in sour cream. Tastes like a real decadent crunchy treat. The brands vary by availability. The grocer has a whole aisle of chips but only a few bags of pork rinds.