Coconut pancakes

breakfast

(Cheryl Meyers) #41

They reminded me of the Keto Crunch cereal recipe–rinds covered in cinnamon and stevia, then add milk or yogurt. Also yummy!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #42

Oh yes! Been there done that. Also add drizzled melted butter. Nom.

(Jennifer) #43

Got out my antique Griswold New American No. 9 waffle iron (I did mention that I have a cast iron addiction?) and made waffles this morning. One of the cheap $2 bags of pork rings gave me a bit over 2 cups. I doubled the batter and it needed a touch more cream and water to thin it out.

They were pretty tasty - I used about a tbsp of this syrup and it tasted exactly like the real thing… The boys used real syrup and while they thought the waffles were a little different, they liked them and said to make again.

https://www.amazon.com/Lakanto-Maple-Flavored-Sugar-Free-Syrup/dp/B01G4I8WCE/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492355842&sr=8-1&keywords=lakanto+syrup

(Dustin Cade) #44

Warming up left over waffles in a pan with lots of melted butter… you’ll thank me! :wink:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #45

Wow! Pork rinds pancakes for Easter breakfast. I went heavier on the cinnamon and then dusted them with Splenda, added a knob of butter and fried a couple of eggs to go with them. Thank you for the recipe. They were awesome!

(Tina) #46

Awesome. I think DH and I came up with something similar to this but just trial and error. Nice to have a recipe to baseline with.

(Tiffany Hill) #47

Hi Brenda, do you have any swap recommendations for those of us intolerant to eggs, dairy, and flax? Thanks!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #48

Milk swap is easy. Use coconut cream. Eggs? IDK. They are an integral part of what makes these work. I’m willing to bet someone else figured it out somewhere though. If it were me I’d Google “egg substitutions” and try a few methods…

Delicious!

I replaced the heavy cream with Califia Farms Coconut/Almond creamer, the cinnamon with cocoa powder, added stevia and 1/2 tsp baking powder. I used melted Kerrygold Butter for the oil.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #50

It begins…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #51

These have the texture and taste of waffles made with wheat flour, but these have 3 grams carbohydrate, and a wheat flour Belgium waffle has 47. 47 GRAMS of carbohydrate!!!
/* Boom

(Sharon A Peters) #52

Many have trouble with egg yolks rather than whites. You might want to try them with whites only … but they’re likely to come out crispy.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #53

I have actually read the exact opposite!

(Tiffany Hill) #54

Sadly I can’t do yolks or whites, but I found a great article on egg substitutes: http://www.organicauthority.com/health/egg-substitutes-vegan-baking.html.

I can’t tell in this recipe though whether the egg is being used as a leavener or binder to then know which substitute to try from the article. Binder you think?

(Tiffany Hill) #55

Lindt is my favorite chocolate! I eat 1-2 bars of their 99% cacao chocolate most days :yum:Can u say habit? :grimacing:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #56

Oh man. IDK. Both maybe, but I know it helps them fluff up. Try adding baking powder to the recipe with your egg substitute.

(Newimprovedme ) #57

These are awesome waffles!!! I made a spiced version with tons of cinnamon and nutmeg and some stevia… yum!

(chris) #58

Just made some pancakes myself and damn they are good. The batter thickens up real quick I had to add more liquid to make it pourable. I also tried to add a strip of bacon to one of the pancakes its good but makes more of a mess… picture is not mine it just looked similar.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #59

Yes! @NewImprovedMe! Last night I added pumpkin pie extract. SO GOOD.

I usually spread my batter out, I’ve never made it so it’s pourable. Sounds much easier @tekgeek I may try that

(chris) #60

made pancakes again. it amazes me how these can be so fluffy and taste soo good.