Coconut pancakes

breakfast

(Nathanael Schulte) #21

Alright, I just decided to try these to see for myself. I’ve done ketogenic pancakes with almond butter and almond flour and they always turn out too heavy. These were the first that actually came out fluffy. I made a couple minor adjustments - added more egg and cream because it was way too dry otherwise, added some Truvia to get a little more sweetness, and added a little baking powder per Carl’s suggestion from the March 11 podcast.
Pretty awesome, and they just passed my picky 9-year-old son’s taste test. We’ll see what my wife thinks next.
Great job!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #22

Great that you tweaked the recipe! Personally I think it highly depends on the pork rinds you are able to use. So many brands are different!

Glad you enjoy them. All I know is, I don’t miss pancakes anymore!

(carl) #23

First attempt! I added 1 tsp of baking powder for a little lift. Wow! These are awesome!

@brenda made them in Breckenridge when we met up in February at the LC conf, but this was the first time I made them. Clara, my 15-yr old, likes them too!

(Dustin Cade) #24

@Brenda & @carl these are great!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #25

Thanks. I’ve been making the pancakes three years now. The dudes asked me to make them when we were all in Colorado together. That morning @richard found a waffle maker in the kitchen and we thought, why not give it a try? I was surprised it worked so well.
Next time I make waffles I’m making extra to use as hamburger buns and BLT bread!!

The pictures convinced me…I’m giving these a try this weekend!

(Richard Morris) #27

They were so good that I am now on the look out for a cheap waffle iron.

(James storie) #28

Yep, definitely making these this weekend!

(Dustin Cade) #29

when you make them do you get a lot of oil leaking from the waffle iron? i made a huge batch and loads of oil draining. we just cleaned it up, not an issue really, just wondering.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #30

When I made them, I oiled the waffle iron before putting the batter in at first, then realized it was not necessary. That batter is greasy enough! Plus most waffle irons are non-stick.

Otherwise not sure why the oil is leaking out. Pork rinds can vary brand to brand. Maybe adapt the recipe? (use less added oil?)

(Dustin Cade) #31

yeah, that is what i’m thinking… i would like to make my own, have more control on the flavor…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #32

Let me know if you figure out how to get them light enough. I know many who have tried but no one seems happy with the texture of homemade pork rinds.
I found two brands I like.
Clancey’s at ALDI and Turkey Creek brand.

(Cheryl Meyers) #33

I am happily consuming these for dinner tonight. I used milk plus 2 tbsp of cream cheese as I had no hwc, and added 2 tbsp of flax meal. My rinds were thicker, more like crackling, so needed the flax I think. Yummy!

(Jessica) #34

Wow… The kind of pork rinds I get here (like… only available from an online shop) really smell porky. Now I know why I haven’t come across them before.

BUT, the waffles turned out very yummy! I even licked the bowl.

Thank you for this recipe!

(James storie) #35

Well, I made these this morning and they were a hit! The whole family loved them, I had to make two batches!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #36

This makes me happy so many have tried these and enjoy them. Back on facebook all I mostly got was “are you crazy?” and “ewwww”. I used to tell the haters to quit being wusses and give them a try.

Glad so many brave souls hang out on this forum. I was growing weary of pancake trolls. Lol

I made them as waffles the other day and just didn’t take a picture, but they were awesome! Planning on having them again tomorrow. :wink:

(James storie) #38

When I go to aldi, I buy as many bags as I can find! Everyone looks at me funny! I just smile, they can think I’m weird if they want.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #39

Y’all are making me hungry. I’ll be making waffles for dinner now. I haven’t tried my dusty old Belgium waffle maker. I’ll have to dig it out. It’s been years. Surprised I still have it.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #40

Definately taking photos!!!