Pork fat PUFA content (and Fire in a Bottle's pork)

(Bob M) #1

Brad from Fire in a Bottle had testing done on his pork and on Smithfield pork. Here are some results:

That’s quite a difference in Linoleic acid content. His pork mainly differs in PUFA content, as it’s only slightly higher in palmitic acid (that EVIL saturated fat) and MUFA too.

I can say that pork fat to me is – how shall I characterize it? – nasty. It’s really “mushy” to me, and consequently, I don’t eat much fatty pork. That’s for “normal” pork, however.

I’ve had Brad’s pork a few times, and the fat has a much better consistency to me. Not “mushy” at all.

I find bacon fat particularly tough to handle now, as when I cook “normal” bacon, the fat is still soft from the fridge.

If I could afford it, I’d eat nothing but Brad’s pork. (And I wish it was local and I could buy cuts like shoulder/butt, which isn’t possible now.)

Anyway, this goes to show you that pigs really are what they eat (though Brad is also using some animal husbandry, meaning he’s selecting certain pigs for this).

Great to see some actual numbers. Thanks Bob.

I was trying to cut down my pork and chicken intake, if I couldn’t see the provenance of the meat. But tonight I was ‘on the road’ and the best low carb option was rotisserie chicken. It was most likely industrial raised, meaning a diet aimed at growth. I’m guessing a grain based feed mixed with cheep! industrial seed oils.

I probably ate it the wrong way round. I find chicken breast white meat very bland, so fed most of it to the dog. I like the darker meat areas of legs and thighs and the skin. I think I heard Brad say in a podcast that it might be better to eat the low fat breast meat and add good fats to it, like pasture fed dairy butter, and avoid the higher PUFA body fat dark meat and skin.

(Bob M) #3

Traveling is difficult. I relax things when traveling. I know a lot of what I’m going to eat will have PUFAs (or be seared/fried in PUFAs), but it’s hard to get enough food without going broke.

Like you, I’m not fond of chicken breast. That’s because I was on low fat for years and ate nothing but chicken breast without the skin, egg white omelettes, etc. So, I still gravitate towards the fattier chicken.

The chickens from the local farm are way better in this regard, though. I actually like them, but I think they’re a different breed of chicken (smaller breasts) and also raised longer. Supposedly, the industrial chickens can barely walk due to their large breast size, and the meat suffers because they grow so quickly.

It can help to brine and/or sous vide the chicken/breast too. I can actually like that.

And even I can’t avoid chicken and pork. My wife makes a lot of dinners, and she has a bacon-wrapped boneless chicken thigh recipe that’s easy to make. I know it’s PUFA added to PUFA, but I eat it anyway. Sous vide pork chops or loin is also on the menu, as it’s easy to make. Pop in the sous vide, cook for a while, sear, you’re done.

And we had people over this past weekend, and I made pulled pork. More PUFAs, I’m sure, and I even had sugared rub, too.

But if you get a chance to taste Brad’s pork, his fat (to me) just seems more “substantial” and better.

I just wish there was a more “deli-like” ordering, where I could get a shoulder or chops. Unfortunately, Brad has to work within the constraints he has.

(Edith) #4

There is a farm not far from where I live that raises grass fed beef, pastured pork, and pastured chicken. It is very expensive. I know I’m giving the money straight to the farmer, but the cost is about 3 times what I pay for meat at the grocery store.

But, when I’m feeling flush or they are having a sale, I will buy the pork and chicken. The pastured pork is way tastier than conventional pork and much leaner. The pastured chicken is also more flavorful, but I really notice the difference with the pork.

If you are in the US, you can check out eatwild.com. It will direct you to farmers in your state that produce pastured meats. This way you may be able to buy local instead of shipping.