Pork Cracklins?

OK, I have never tried pork cracklins (a real shame I know being from Louisiana) but I bought some at the farmer’s market today. She said they are partially cooked and I should finish them in a cast iron skillet. Now my question is, how do I count this nutrition wise? I’m not having much luck finding anything certain that looks/sounds like what I bought.

(Andrew Anderson) #2

I think they count as delicious fat too eat to satiety. I’m jealous, looks like Keto popcorn.

I had got out of the habit of going to the farmer’s market, but I’m going to have to start going every week now!

Cracklins including the skin will have protein too. Maybe look up a commercial product of cracklins and/or pork rinds to get a rough estimate of nutrition value.

Here’s a database estimate:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5362/2

The problem with that is that cracklins normally have some meat on them too, although I don’t see it on these. I may have to almost dissect one to see if it is just skin and fat or something more. I’m really counting protein now too and don’t want to under estimate the protein by too much.

Yeah, even the puffy commercial pork rinds with no visible skin have protein. It is an incomplete protein (no tryptophan) but the body will still use it.

Yep, been eating the heck out of them too! 9 grams of protein for .5 ounce and I’m trying to keep my protein around 55-65 a day! I was just trying to keep protein somewhere between 70 and 100, but I don’t think that was optimal for me. Testing for now to see! So far it’s looking good keeping it lower.

But I really want those crackins! LOL

I feel your pain. I eat the crappy store bought ones, but I don’t eat, like, a whole large bag of them at one sitting any more. :grinning:

(Kristin Fennell) #9

Those look amazing! I am going to need to look for a source around here for fresh cracklins!

(James storie) #10

The amount of pork rinds or crackling I eat is directly proportional to the amount of egg salad I make! They are my spoon! :laughing:

(Carol E. ) #11

Add chopped cracklings to your Keto cornbread. Yummy :yum:

I have been snacking on Epic Pork Cracklings, Fried Pork Skins with skin attached. They have sugar (maple and coconut) on them at 1gm a serving. A serving size is 14 gms (1/2 oz). This contains 6gm fat, 6gm protein, 1gm carb. I have to be honest here, I have never just eaten one serving:)

Edit: Fried pork FAT with skin attached. SO sorry.

I have done that too!

I’m going to have to find a source for already fully cooked cracklins! I botched these and tossed them out! :frowning: