Pork Crackling - Give me your tips!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #1

Last night I bought a sheet of pig skin, tonight I am going to cook it.

Someone told me to leave it uncovered in the fridge so it dries out a bit because that makes the best crackling, then rub oil and salt all over it and bake it for 50 minutes.

Can anyone give any tips to ensure it is the best pork crackling in the world? :smiley:

(karen) #2

Oh, oh, oh. I have no idea. plenty of salt. Possibly my favorite food on earth. Where on earth did you get pig skin?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

I bought a slab of it from my local Grocery shop for 5 dollars!
I am guessing alot of butchers would do it also?

33083976_2065207293727149_8032127780311269376_n

(karen) #4

Are you in the US? I’ve never seen anything like that at my local stores. You’ve made me want to hunt it down at a butcher shop - my Mom used to get the pork roast with the skin on for holidays when I was little, but I’ve never seen it since, except chicarron, which is good but not quite the same.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

No I’m Australian, this was literally a tray of pig skin stretched out. I stuffed it up :frowning:
I burnt it and it was horrible. I went to bed with a beer for dinner. Lol.

(mags) #6

Oh what a shame!! This has never failed me… So far anyway. Dry the skin and rub salt well into it. Put the oven on as high as it will go. Put the skin in the oven without fat. Turn the oven down to about 350/190 after about 10mins.not sure how long to cook it for then because I’ve only had it attached to a lump of pork :grinning:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

Oh dear, are you supposed to remove the fat?@!

(km) #8

Nope I did like below

1/2 hr in fridge. Pork belly(i tried this,huge amount of fat …yay ) or loin shoulder (wide and long) are the best cuts to try this

Once out pat with paper napkin

Make some cuts only on the fat(skin) shuld not cut the meat rub seasalt (little high,the photo below doesnt show the salt properly)and pepper and any other herbs u like and now rub with olive oil

Before pulling out this pork from fridge it self make sure it is set to max and almost there to reach that setting Because once seasalt is rub it shuld to outside else moisture will come the skin and the end result will be soggy

Now immediately put it in the oven for 20-30 min on the max

Now at turn down the oven to 365F (180 -190 Celsius) and leave it for 2hr
Then pull it out and let it cool for 20 min and it’s ready to eat
Crackling on the top melting meat in the bottom for best taste separate the crackling and meat with the help of carving knife

There is another exotic variant this try this and perfect it and if you need more flavour i will let know that

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

THank you! :slight_smile:

(Alec) #10

Kate
Your original plan would be best (minus the leaving it to burn bit!). I often cook crackling, and eating your own home cooked crackling is the BEST. Leave the fat on, just prepare and cook it as you said above, but remember to take it out of the oven! :laughing:

Good luck, do try again, and see… home made pork scratchings… yum!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #11

Thanks @Alecmcq!
Im going to give it another go tonight, with far less oil and smoke. Bahha. I will upload my finished product later tonight. Its all I can think about!

(TJ Borden) #12

Not the worst dinner :beer:

(Alec) #13

You sound fat adapted! Anyone craving pork scratchings has to be fat adapted! :heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #14

Im actually more happy about the fact that I wasn’t STARVING when I woke up, which means that I can start fasting soon. I pretty much fasted for 18 hours and I’m on day 25 with a 13 pound loss. I can’t wait to eat it lol.

(Alec) #15

Day25, 13lbs, eating pork crackling, flippin brilliant. Well done!!

(Paul Butler) #16

I get my pork rind from woolworths (Australia) about $2 for 400g.
I cook it up each week…yes I love my pork rind - its my go to snack at night.
A slight change from the way you are cooking
Score the rind, pore boiling water over it (this opens the pores up), dry it.
Put it in the fridge for 30 mins as you said
Then oil and salt (added other seasonings) …and salt again, never too much salt :slightly_smiling_face:
Put in oven at 250 for about 20-30 mins, then I look at, and if looks like getting then, I drop it down to about 220 for next 10-20 mins.
Keeping an eye on it after 10 mins, as it quickly goes from crunchy to burnt

Pork rinds and cream cheese-OMG
(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #17

I like your thinking!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #18

Ooh thank you for your advice @Jarlaxle, how do you store it after you have cooked it? My mum said put it in the fridge but wait until it has cooled entirely else it will go soggy, correct?

(Paul Butler) #19

I put it in an air tight container with paper towel in the bottom and on top and put it in the cupboard.
More than likely if you put it in the fridge it would go soft and not be crunchy.
I’ve had it last for about 4 days (haven’t pushed further), as most of the time it’s gone in 2 days.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #20

Ooh that’s a good idea, I’ll try that. Thanks for your advice :slight_smile: