Pork belly with an Asian fusion reduction

(Running from stupidity) #1

OK, so this was super simple. In no small part to the fact that I was making it up as I went along.

Frozen piece of pork belly (500g or so). I sliced it into cubes before bagging and while still mostly frozen. So much easier that way.

Also in the bag I put some salt (just ground it in, so no idea how much) and the reduction ingredients, which were as follows.

Dark Soy Sauce - 20g
Worcestershire sauce - 20g
4-5 garlic cloves
small knob (20mm or so, but fairly thin) ginger

I mixed the liquids in a bowl, then minced up the ginger and garlic (I used the HotMixPro, but a knife is easily as good) and added them to the bowl. Then I put the lot into the bag with the pork belly cubes, shook it around a bit to ensure good coverage before sealing.

Then into the bath @ 80C until we decided to have dinner. I clipped the corner off the bag and drained the liquid out into a small frying pan. Then got the pork out onto a cloth to dry it.

Boiled the liquid pretty hard to reduce it. When that was about half done, got the pork into a frying pan, let it crisp up a bit, plated it, then drizzled the reduction over it, done.

It was in the bath for about six hours or so, due to as changer in plans for the usage.

Nicked this off the wife’s IG feed.

What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

Man that looks good. I’m hoping to get some pork belly this week :grinning:

(Running from stupidity) #3

In completely unrelated news, I desperately need to get a splatter guard :slight_smile:

One of the first things I bought when I started eating meat. Had no idea they existed beforehand & no need of one :laughing:

(Carl Keller) #5

Great job Juicing up that pork belly. I can practically smell the garlic and ginger and almost taste the worcestersoy infused pork. If only I had a plate full of carbless rice to go with it…

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

Had to bookmark this one, it looks so similiar to the pork belly I get at the pub but I can never pick the sauce as I don’t know what taste it is but it looks much like this, might give it a go!

(Running from stupidity) #7

I just made it up on the spot, and it was damn good. I’m either super lucky, or I have a vague idea what I’m doing.

Maybe both :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

I’d say so :wink:

(Running from stupidity) #9

The aftermath. That reduction was sticky.

(Bunny) #10

Gawd that looks good! :yum:

(Running from stupidity) #11

It tasted better! It is a bit carby, though.

(Candy Lind) #12

You DO know about the sous vide community cautioning not to put raw garlic in sous vide because of the higher risk of botulism? You can find comments in the forums from LeCheffre or just google “sous vide garlic botulism” - you might just want to use garlic powder in the bag, then add fresh garlic when you’re making the reduction.

(Running from stupidity) #13

yes :slight_smile:

(bulkbiker) #14

I hadn’t heard of that… but it does give me wind… nowadays I cook it in butter first then add it to whatever… just stuffed the second set of turkey legs for Christmas lunch… garlic, chilli, sage and butter with 97% sausage meat…as well as some chopped up pepperoni… zingy!

(Steve) #15

Thanks,
I’m going to try this recipe on some pork belly with tamari and firm it up over charcoal. I like the saute the garlic and ginger in butter idea. Nice and simple

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

Those things are frequently more of a hassle than the problem they solve. I might try a fry wall instead.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

Please do not invoke my caution willy nilly. 80C is well outside the danger zone for botulism. It long low temp cooking with raw garlic that is risky.

80C is a bit lower than I’d go if I were trying to cook the garlic (82-83C in oil for garlic confit), but should not be unsafe.

(Running from stupidity) #18

We used to have one, and trust me, I’m REALLY missing it :slight_smile: