Pork belly equivalent in beef

zerocarb
food

(Candy Lind) #22

INSTANT POT FTW! :heart_eyes: :rofl:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #23

I suspect you could do a fast sear to kill the surface pathogens and then jack it up. Or a blanching in boiling water.

Iā€™d rather cook things properly than slice it up for effect.

(Ken) #24

Jaccarding was discussed in another thread. What they found in England was that thereā€™s a potential bacteria growth with Jaccarded meat that is processed, then sent out for sale, allowing quite a bit of time between the process and when itā€™s cooked. That time allowed the bacterial growth, so the issue is really of the process used in a commercial setting. Jaccarding your own meat right before cooking doesnā€™t really pose a problem. As with all studies, sometimes you have to delve a little deeper into their structure. Otherwise weā€™d all be now believing pasta is good for fat loss. Yesterday they announced that on TV. Of course, no mention of frequency and portion sizes. You might as well eat at Subway.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

Thatā€™s about the sum of the science shown in other threads. An N=1 of 240lbfatloss saying it hasnā€™t killed him yet and that heā€™s read something somewhere. The outbreak in Canada from processor needled meat does not mean it is thusly limited.

Having food poisoned myself a couple times, and having had it a couple other times from restaurants, I really donā€™t play with this. You are welcome to your N=1, but suggesting that it is a good idea for others is not really within the realm of responsible behavior, imho, 240.

(Ken) #26

Actually, I read the study. I then logically concluded that it had not created problems because I always cooked my jaccarded meat right after the process. Being objective, I was reevaluating itā€™s use, and was completely open to no longer using it.

Believe what you want, itā€™s your freedom and it really doesnā€™t matter to me, but donā€™t be surprised when you get an intellectual refutation.

The salient point from the study was that commercially Jaccarded meat does pose a risk if the meat has set long enough for bacterial incubation. I have no intention of buying that product.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #27

A link to this study would be generally useful in making your case.

(Ken) #28

Iā€™ll dig it up later. It took a while to find.

The issue is anaerobic bacterial growth, without the presence of oxygen. Things like botulism, tetanus, etc. Once forced deep into the meat they incubate and grow. Their waste secretions are what is toxic. That takes time. If they were a danger without incubation, merely licking (or eating) a piece of raw meat would give you the same effects. Thatā€™s why immediate cooking (or eating Steak Tartare) resolves the issue.

(Chris) #29

Costco Blade Tenderizes (Jaccard) almost all of the pre cut steaks they sell. Steaks that sit on the shelf for multiple days before they are sold in some instances. In todayā€™s litigious society, there is no way a company like Costco would open themselves up to that amount of liability if there was a clear and present danger

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #30

They actually had an outbreak in Canada. I believe Costco uses UV or radiation now, which mitigates the danger. That said, I donā€™t buy individual steaks at Costcoā€¦ 100% primals and subprimals.

The bacterial growth danger zone is between 70 and say 110 or so, which is a space where that incubation and growth accelerates. If you are cooking in a traditional method, to rare temps, you may have your steak spend time in that phase. As I SV most proteins, I wouldnā€™t worry, as I pasteurize to kill beasties and shock to prevent autolysis on the way down. The USDA recommendation to cook ground beef to pasteurization temps (165 for 10 second kill of everything) is about how I feel about jaccarded meats. Same issues, largely, though less oxygen. That said, botulinum requires a low ox environment.

I believe you are justified for your use, Ken. I will maintain my current food safety practices, and maintain that long cooked sous vide produces better results anyway in tough cuts. Youā€™re severing connective tissue, whereas Iā€™m rendering.

(Ken) #31

Yeah, and I intend to pick up a sous-vide one of these days, I am getting tired of Jaccarding and beating the brisket with a hammer. I hope Iā€™d just be able to season and sear it before putting it into the bag. My way itā€™s still always a workout for the jaws.

(Chris) #32

Telling you guys, hot and fast brisket is a different animal. 4-5hrs is all it takes. (traditional style brisket)

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #33

(Carmen Stone) #34

If you are looking for an alternative to pork belly, I can very highly recommend lamb belly. I roasted one a few nights ago. Flattened it out, scored the top, rubbed with celery salt, pepper and olive oil, chucked a few sprigs of fresh rosemary on, seared for 20 minutes and roasted for 1 hour at 325. It was heavenly. (times and temps vary obviously). Lamb is a lovely fatty meat. Much better than beef IMHO.

(Ken) #36

All right, youā€™ve convinced me. Iā€™m totally sold on it, especially the Medium Rare example. Iā€™m looking for a unitā€¦

I picked up one of these. I can use it with the crockpot for small batches, or with a hot plate and stock pot for large.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00/

And this tiny pump helps circulate the large batches:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XQ3FCL/

(Ken) #38

Great idea! Iā€™m going to go this route.

Thanks guys! Wow I love all the great recommendations, I think my fave has been rib eye Ill stick to that. @LeCheffre your brisket looks amazing :yum:

(Mary) #40

For me, it used to, but since Iā€™ve been ZC for several weeks, it does not appear to bother me. Maybe put it away for a bit but come back to it. I think a fatty brisket may be the closest thing to it.