Pork belly equivalent in beef

zerocarb
food

Hi,

I have been trying to do zero carb for the past 4 days to see if it changes anything in my stall.

1- Does pork give anyone else digestive upset? I noticed bacon and pork belly make my stomach really upset.
2- What is the equivalent cut of beef to pork belly if any?

Thank you!

(Daniel) #2

maybe an untrimmed brisket?

(What The Fast?!) #3

I believe ribeye is the fattiest cut you can find for beef. If you have a local butcher, I would go chat with them and ask them what the fattiest cut/most equivalent to pork belly would be!

(Allie) #4

Pork belly always makes me sick but bacon I’m OK with.

I love brisket, but as far as fat content I don’t think its as much as pork belly.

LOVE rib eyes! Great idea @KetoLikeaLady, My butcher is at my farmers market every Saturday and they have amazing meat. http://diamondmountainranch.com/, I’ll be asking…

Bacon gives me heart burn but that doesn’t stop me :wink:

(Ken) #8

Usually beef trim from that area goes into hamburger.

(Ron) #9

Might not be the pork but the higher fat content and consumption is stressing your digestive tract some.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

Different anatomies, but beef navel is the equivalent cut.

If you’re looking for something similar, I would recommend plate and chuck short ribs.

Ribeyes are nice, but unless you’re going to eat the big piece of visceral fat between the spinalis and the longissimus, shortribs and untrimmed brisket have better profiles. They are harder to cook, so people tend to prefer ribeyes.

Really, if we want to be technical, the ribeye cap, aka spinalis, is probably the closest translation from pig belly to cow part. They’re very expensive, as they are much prized. I’d stick to shortribs. Navel and plate can be hard to find, and pricey.

(Allie) #11

Well belly pork actually makes me sick and I tend to listen to my body and avoid things it rejects, hence keto :joy:

(Ken) #12

Beef brisket (untrimmed) is the most economical cut and has lot’s of fat, but is very tough. You have a couple of choices on how to prepare it. You can cut it into smaller roasts, and after roasting you can use a meat slicer and slice it thin so it’s toughness is unnoticable.Very delicious. You can also slice it into steaks and tenderize it. I use a combination of a Jaccarder, meat hammer, and seasoned meat tenderizer. It’s not too bad grilled that way, but it’s no Ribeye. The last choice is to cook it slow with liquid, like a pot roast such as in a Crock Pot.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #13

Sous Vide and low and slow smoking also work to tenderize, though it’s not the easiest cut to do on the smoker.

Processing Sous Vide, on the other hand, is the clear winner for folks with that capability. 72hrs at 129-135 will produce a remarkably tender piece of brisket in the rare to medium rare range.

Pressure cooking and braising are also very effective at breaking down the connective tissue within the brisket.

Technically, the cow equivalents are flank and the short plate. Flank is very lean. Shrort plate is amazing. You get your skirt steaks and your hanger steaks from there. All of these are my favorites, huge flavor, need some care in preparation to be good.

A caution about jacquarding and food safety. When you jacquard, you take whatever is on the surface and you push it into the interior. Almost all the contaminants in modern meat are on the surface and are cooked off with searing. I don’t want to be a scold, 240, but be careful with that.

(Genevieve Biggs) #14

You’re making me drool. I need to sous vide some brisket now!!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

This is a brisket, cut in two, processed sous vide, then smoked… Not the internal color… that is medium rare, probe tender, brisket…

An amazing process.

(Chris) #16

So what does that actually taste like? Is it steak like or is it fabulous brisket like? I really need to get on top of this.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

It has that amazing brisket texture, with a great tender steak texture. And that brisket flavor. It’s a bit more complicated than that.

While this is about short ribs, the same principle applies to the time/temp curve and effect.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

Uhm… show me some science…

(Doug) #20

Wow, LC - amazing picture of that briskey. :slightly_smiling_face::star2::sunglasses:

(Candy Lind) #21

I’ve often wondered - could you jaccard AFTER you sear to avoid that problem? Or would you end up with a bloody mess?