Help with tender cuts of beef

(Brian) #1

I grew up mostly vegetarian. It’s the way mom n dad ate. They ate lots of fake meat and that was the texture that I got accustomed to associating with meat.

Fast forward 50 years and things have changed. I’m not a vegan or a vegetarian and I now eat bison, beef, chicken, turkey and fish (mostly salmon and a little tuna).

The fish is pretty easy. The poultry is pretty easy most of the time. Bison I usually buy as ground burger. But beef sometimes baffles me. I’ve had fork tender that was a melt in your mouth delicacy. And I’ve had shoe leather that I had a hard time sawing through with a steak knife. I don’t know a lot but I ain’t got the choppers to do the shoe leather anymore.

Burger is fine. But what about other cuts? What cuts are tender? What cuts should I avoid? Or are there specific techniques to turn a tough cut tender? I like… well, need, it very tender if I’m going to actually enjoy it.

I’m kinda lost so would really appreciate some input.

Thanks very much!!

(Jo O) #2

Remember this is mostly muscles. They are bundles of long ‘threads.’ If you slice along side the length. It will be ‘stringy.’ If you cut crosswise or perpendicular to the long threads, it will be easier to eat.

Cooking beef for tenderness has to do with where the meat comes from on the cow. Some parts need low, slow and long cooking (like braising) such as brisket, ox tail, ribs.

Filet mignon is the tenderest portion & $$$ but very little flavor. (It is the skinny long muscle along side the vertabrae). Most steaks (located next to the filet) need quick hot cooking. Some steaks are tougher than others. (I find it confusing too and not worth the extra expense to experiment.)

General knowledge about beef can be found at America’s Test Kitchen.

I highly recommend you listen to Ketovangelist Kitchen podcast. I’ve gone back and listened to just about every episode.
Carrie focuses each episode on a single topic. One on cow, 4 on steak, pork etc.
Warning: if you don’t like mindless banter skip the first 10-20 mins.

Hope this helps

(Sarah ) #3

I’m not the greatest cook. A slow cooker /crock pot makes all the difference. A not so awesome , fatty cut of beef roast, on sale… cook on low all day, with whatever sauces or seasonings you like, add veggies towards the end… pretty much a winner every time.

I have really good luck with thin-to-medium cut sirloin… I pierce both sides with fork tongs all over and then spread BUTTER over both sides and coat with a steak rub (spices). I broil under the oven broiler for 4 minutes on one side and 5 on the other (pink inside) and cheap-o sirloin come out TENDER. (And the extra butter makes it all more keto :)!)

(CharleyD) #5

I’m not expert by any means but the previous responses are right on. You have to treat each cut as it’s own metaphorical animal and learn to cook it to your tastes.

If I have time and want a lot of food, the $10 beef ribs at Walmart, by themselves in a crock pot with around 6 hours will make fall off the bone goodness.

Filet, I get for the wife on a kebab and she only allows it gas grilled, so it’s on lowest heat and I start on it early, a few minutes after starting the chicken kebab or breasts.

My faves are a thick ribeye or strip steak. I’ve had best results slower cooking on cast iron on our gas range on lowest heat, just taking my time flipping and using a lot of butter and varied seasonings.

A thinner ribeye is the quickest to me, with around 45 seconds per side on either gas grill or cast iron on high. Any more than that and I’ve ruined it, and I’m inconsolable the rest of the night. Hate it when that happens.

Then the times will depend on what doneness you prefer. Until you get a feel for the times and temps that match up with your doneness, you may want to make some test cuts in it to see the color, or learn to poke it with a finger to feel the firmness. It goes from squishy to stiff, the more done it is.

(Brian) #6

Thanks for the thoughts! Sounds like a good many different cuts can work if cooked in the height way.

(TJ Borden) #7

Flame kissed. :fire::kiss:…the way god intended.

(Mike W.) #8

Do some research into sous vide cooking , buy a sous vide machine and never worry about tough beef again. You could make about any cut of beef as tender as you like depending on how long you cook it.

(Ken) #9

Here’s the best thing I’ve found to deal with tougher cuts of meat. Combined with a meat hammer it’s very effective. Just make sure you get one with multi rows of blades. It can make brisket as tender as sirloin. You can usually find it or a similar item at your local kitchen store.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A3I3G0/ref=asc_df_B000A3I3G05360678/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000A3I3G0&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134584690&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16289799714326025088&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018430&hvtargid=pla-201484929841

(Brian) #10

You guys really do have me checking out sous vide cooking. Have been watching YouTube videos for an hour! LOL!!

Tell ya what, some of those tender looking turkey breasts sure do look tasty. And those perfect looking delicate salmon fillets…

Something I really gotta try. And I’m sure the beef is good, too!

:slight_smile:

(Mike W.) #11

That can force bacteria into the interior of the meat. Unless you’re cooking to “ground beef” temperature I would avoid.

(Mike W.) #12

Check out “sous vide everything” channel on youtube. They know how to eat!

(Ken) #13

Too funny. I guess I’m dead then, for 30 years. No, wait! It’s all the Steak Tartare and raw eggs that has killed me. According to you, any mechanical tenderizer would cause this. Myself, I just make sure they’re clean.

No doubt they’re such a health hazard they’ve been banned in several countries. Funny, I can’t seem to think of one. But seriously, I do understand the controversy, evidently the EU does have some issues with the larger commercial units. From what I’ve read, the issue is using the units and then leaving the meat long enough for any bacteria to incubate within the meat. So, tenderize right before cooking.

Pork belly equivalent in beef
(Mike W.) #14

Wow. Ok. I’m just saying there are risks involved. You’re taking the bacteria on the outside of the meat that would quickly be killed through cooking and forcing it into the center where it likely won’t reach the temperature of the kill threshold.

(Brian) #15

Just thanking you all again for the suggestions.

Now I’m looking at sous vide devices and reading reviews finding that just like almost every other product online, a bunch of people love it and some hate it, some think it’s great and others think it’s junk, overpriced, or both. AARRGGHH!!!

Anyway, will come back and update if I have more tidbits to share… like buying something and trying it out. :smiley:

(Mike W.) #16

I personally have the Anova Wifi. It’s about $160. The Bluetooth model is a bit cheaper and can be found for around $100 on sale.

(Stacey) #17

I have the Yedi sous vide from Amazon. It was under $100 and I love it. Best steaks I’ve ever had!