Pork belly by America's Test Kitchen

(Bob M) #1

Going to try this recipe this weekend:

They use 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (about 27 grams carbs, I think) over 3 pounds of meat, and some of it appears to come off. In the show, they also have a mustard sauce, which also uses brown sugar. For that, I’ll replace some of the brown sugar with Swerve. But for the meat, I think I’ll use what they used. I don’t think I’ll be eating 3 pounds of pork belly. We’ll see.

They also use vegetable oil, but I’m going to use lard instead.

I’ll report back.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #2

Well you saaaaaaaaaay that…! :shushing_face::wink::joy:

(bulkbiker) #3

We use this method

no sugar involved whatsoever.

(David Jackson) #4

I don’t use the sugars but I still get crispies. Coat in salt and refrigerate for a day or two. The salt will draw some moisture out. Rinse well. Season heavily with garlic salt and pepper. Then roast as desired. I toss mine in the smoker. The salts help dry the exterior and the heat can crisp up the fats.

I sure do live some pork bellies.

(Bob M) #5

They tried this, and I’ve tried this, and it doesn’t get that crispy. Or at least I couldn’t get it crispy in my oven. I could put it in my smoker/grill, but I was trying to avoid that. Especially since the cooking time is 3-3.5 hours and a lot of fat comes off the pork, leading to fire possibility in the smoker/grill that I have (bottom of grill has the coals).

That’s why the frying in its own oil works, according to them: the oil is directly in contact with the fat, and helps to push out the water and get the skin crispier.

And I don’t have to use the sugar, but I think it’ll add something. I’m also a big believer in trying the recipe once as it’s written, and only then making adjustments. And for 10 grams per pound of pork belly (and a lot of that actually won’t be on the belly and will end up in the oil), I don’t think it’s a big deal.