Poo-pooing Protein Powder

Hi Everyone. First time poster! I have been Keto since August and loving this WOE. I have been listening to the podcasts, but have started way back at the beginning. In one of the podcasts (80?) I listened to today, the dudes were poo-pooing (for want of a better word) having a protein powder smoothie for breakfast. I sometimes like to do this as I can add psyllium husk. Can you please explain what is wrong with doing this? And does anyone have a better way to get psyllium into the diet without tasting it :smile: TIA

(Marty Kendall) #2

Whole food are always going to be more nutritious and filling. Like you though I’ll often use a shake with some plain protein powder as a quick snack. Tends to kerb stop the hunger for not so good options.

Some of them are also quite insulinogenic. If you do search you might find some discussion on which types are most keto friendly.

As to psyllium, I’ll mix it into a one minute muffin or similar keto baked good but I really don’t use a lot of it.

EDIT TO ADD: Just remembered that I also use psyllium as a binding agent when I make salmon cakes. They’re a nice grab & go (ok to eat cold) & they give a decent hit of protein & omega 3s.

(Allie) #4

I make up capsules of psyllium as needed and just swallow them with water.

(Jenny) #5

I do a low carb smoothie at some point almost every day…my personal experience has been there is not anything detrimental about this with a few things to remember: 1. I lift weights, if you do too, you may want to get more protein in. if not, maybe a whole food approach is better. 2. a smoothie can be alot of calories, not saying you are or should be counting calories (I do) but something to keep in mind should you experience a stall or something. 3. try adding collagen powder for its wonderful benefits (or I will add an egg, no I dont cook it, yes I’m still alive lol) 4. remember if it works for you and you enjoy it and are experiencing success…well then you are doing “it” right!

(Justin Jordan) #6

I had a protein shake (with psyllium, actually) for breakfast through most of losing 60 pounds. Well, it was my first meal of the day - usually around 11.

I think the perceived downsides are:

• There’s typically no fat to speak of in them, although you can easily fix this by using cream or coconut oil or whatnot.

• Eating actual food can be a lot more satisfying.

I’m not currently doing it for the latter reason - I’m doing alternate daily fasts, and I want the satisfaction of actual meals. Hunger isn’t the issue, I just like eating.

(bulkbiker) #7

Why are you trying to include this stuff in your diet?

I take three Psyllium Husk capsules twice per day. They’ve helped tremendously with my IBS-D.

Last time I got a bottle, it cost me just over $10 from vitacost.com.

(Carl Keller) #9

I prefer to use a knife on my protein instead of a straw. As @Marty_Kendall says “whole food(s) are always going to be more nutritious and filling”… and I will add enjoyable. I still love eating… I just have a lot more control now over how much and what it is I am eating.

(Bob M) #10

If you need to add protein, you could use shrimp, mussels, London broil, …

(Marty Kendall) #11

Here’s the list of insulinogenic vs ketogenic amino acids.

The foods with more of the ketogenic amino acids tend to be the cold water animals (think endangered artic species).

If your goal is weight loss or diabetes management (and not therapeutic ketosis) protein actually has a positive satiety effect which will help you spontaneously eat less.

Cheers for that.

Oh I’m definitely pro protein - love your website :slightly_smiling_face:

(Marty Kendall) #13

Thanks! It’s been interesting to share my journey trying to understand the pros and cons of protein after noting that it does trigger a greater insulin response than fat.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

Not sure why a protein supplements would be necessary on keto. As for psillium I have seen it included in many keto recipes, pancakes, pizza crust and muffins come to mind. I have left constipation issues behind when I started keto personally. I take senna but it may not be necessary anymore. I am eating quite a bit of fermented vegetables almost daily and my digestion has greatly improved. This has also stimulated my weight loss and given me something exciting and new to do in the kitchen as well as adding more variety to my diet. Improved digestion = weight loss.

Some people need more protein than others & struggle to fit it in - be it because they’re busy or they can only eat so much of it at any given time.

(Laurie) #16

I disliked psyllium. Now I use inulin, which is much easier to take. You hardly notice it texture-wise, but it does add a bit of sweetness. You can try it in coffee, tea, lemon water, etc. Psyllium mixes best in cold liquid; inulin in warm or hot.

Like others, I’m beginning to doubt whether I need fiber at all, and there are specific controversies around various types. But that’s another discussion.

I was using protein powder daily, but I’ve gotten away from it recently. Maybe I’ll go back to it, as I have trouble eating “enough” nowadays.

Improve digestion

(bulkbiker) #18

What’s wrong with your digestion? Any specific food types that cause problems?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #19

I love my fluff omelet:

3 eggs, about 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1-2 tbsps of psylium husks. (Salt, pepper or whatever you like in your omelet to taste)

melt a generous pat of butter in the frying pan, add batter and keep pulling the edges to the center with a spatula until mostly set and crispy brown on the bottom, fold, serve enjoy.

My go to quick meal when I have nothing else at home and am really hungry.