Polish Cheese Cake

(Louise ) #1

Those of you that know Acland Street in St Kilda, will know of the many Jewish Bakeries that line the street with their beautiful pastries. I found the original recipe on the internet and have attempted to Keto-ify it. I’ve posted both the original and the Keto version so that you can compare.

Original Recipe
The base:
200g oatmeal biscuits
25g unsalted butter, barely melted

Body of the cake
900g 23% fat content cream cheese, softened / or Quark or Polish Twarog
150g sour cream
275g caster sugar
2 tablespoons plain flour
Finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed orange or lemon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 medium eggs, plus 2 yolks

Method
Pound the cookies into fine crumbs, then mix them with the melted butter and pack them into the base of a deep 20cm round cake tin with a tightly fitting removable base.

Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F/gas 4 and bake the base for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.

Beat the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, flour, zest and vanilla until smooth, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, and finally the egg yolks, until evenly mixed through.
Spoon the mixture into the pan, tap it gently down on the countertop to remove any trapped air bubbles, and smooth the top.
Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C/130°C fan/300°F/gas 2 and bake for 75 to 90 minutes until risen in the centre and slightly golden around the edge
Remove from the oven, leave until cold, then chill in the fridge until firm before removing it from the pan by running a thin sharp knife around the edge.

Keto Version
Base from Libby @ Ditchthecarbs.com
• 3 tbs granulated stevia (or sweetener of choice) to taste
• 110g / ½ cup / 1 stick (approx) butter softened
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 egg
• 100g / 3.5 oz / 1 cup almond meal/flour
• 56g/ 2 oz / ½ cup coconut flour
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon

Body of the cake
Make up 900g of higher fat smooth creamy cheese (blend Philly / Quark / Mascarpone)
• 150g sour cream
• 275g sweetener of your choice
• 2 tablespoons almond flour / meal
• Finely grated zest lemon / orange
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 4 medium eggs plus two yolks
Base

1. Prepare a large pie/flan/quiche dish by rubbing butter on the bottom and sides, then lining the base with baking paper.
  2. Mix the stevia, softened butter and vanilla until smooth.
  3. Add the egg, almonds, coconut flour, salt and cinnamon and mix until it is the consistency of smooth peanut butter.
  4. Smooth the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
  5. Bake at 180C / 350 F for 10 minutes until just starting to go golden.

Same as before with the original version:
Beat the cream cheese, sour cream, sweetener, almond flour, zest and vanilla until smooth, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, and finally the egg yolks, until evenly mixed through.
Spoon the mixture into the pan, tap it gently down on the countertop to remove any trapped air bubbles, and smooth the top.
Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C/130°C fan/300°F/gas 2 and bake for 75 to 90 minutes until risen in the centre and slightly golden around the edge
Remove from the oven, leave until cold, then chill in the fridge until firm before removing it from the pan by running a thin sharp knife around the edge.

Cooking notes:
• The 450g pot of Quark that I used was quite low in fat, so I included higher fat 250g Mascarpone, 50g Philly cream cheese and 100g double cream / HWC to make up to 900g as the original recipe
• I subbed 2 tsp flour with almond meal /flour
• It makes A LOT of mixture! I ended up having 4 smaller ramekins as well as tin
• My oven seemed to run a bit hotter and uneven at 140C for 85 minutes

Nutritional information
Per serve (say 12 serves per cake)
Protein 18.5g
Fat 35.4g
Carbs 3.2 g