Podcast #119 - Nina Interview - Question about Carl's stall

(Willie) #1

Hello,

I’ve been listening to this amazing podcast for a few months now. Thanks so much for existing. This was another great episode. Nina seems like the kind of person you want on your side. She is fabulous. Will definitely be researching her new organization more.

My question is about Carl. Towards the end of the podcast I think I heard him mention that he has been stalled on the Keto diet/lifestyle for, I believe, something like 18 months?

And then they talked about theories for this and how Richard has a theory on why and I was curious what that might be. I couldn’t find it on the forums with a quick search but doesn’t mean it’s not here.

But mostly I was kind of shocked at that length of the plateau. Am I understanding this correctly that Carl has been eating keto without loosing weight for a year plus? And he still has weight to loose? Forgive me, but I for some reason as a new listener assumed both Carl and Richard had hit their targets.

That’s a tremendous amount of time and I don’t think I’d have the fortitude to keep going if that happened to me. I’m 47, male, 5’8", was 306 lbs and down to 245 since November. Which is great and I’m very happy. But my body seems to be having a SERIOUS debate between 245-250 lbs. It REALLY wants to stay here. I’d like it to continue down from 245 to about 180. I’ve been on this plateau for 6 weeks and it feels like forever. But now I feel lucky that it’s ONLY been six weeks.

Are there any episodes focusing and detailing on the specifics of Richard and Carl’s keto journey? Episodes dedicated to each? If not, I think that could make a great topic for a future cast. A sort of state of the union on each of their ketogenic evolutions from beginning to now.

Thanks,
-Willie

(Rob) #2

This is the thread and significant additional discussion about Carl breaking his plateau…

He mentions it in many episodes though there is one where he specifically discusses it. I think it’s this one…

This is how Carl did it but the problem with this is that we are all metabolic snowflakes and what worked for Carl won’t necessarily work for you. It may be that Carl needed to spend 18 months healing his organs and metabolism for anything to work and maybe upping the fat % was not the direct cause of the plateau breaking. If it was the only thing that could have worked, could it have worked any sooner or was time the critical factor. Carl along with many of us is reversing a lifetime of damage from bad eating choices. It is undoubtedly a good example of one method of breaking a stall, but there are many others, often contradictory to this, not because one is true and the other isn’t, but because different things work for different people at different times in their metabolic journeys. The key thing seems to be about shaking things up until you find something that works…

Good luck with breaking your stall… just bear in mind that the key thing you may need is time. Be patient.

(Willie) #3

Awesome and understood on all fronts. Got exactly what I needed and I thank you for it.

(Randy) #4

That was 14 podcasts ago. He still starts every show saying he’s lost about 80 lbs. I hope it’s going well for Carl. I owe the Dude a lot!!!

(Willie) #5

Sorry, hard to follow the story since the information is in so many different places and across different times. So the basic story with Carl is:

• Started Keto - Lost a bunch of weight (how long?)
  • Stalled for 1.5 years
  • 14 podcasts ago from now he broke his stall
  • Has Carl continued to lose weight from the 1.5 year stall or is he now in a new stall?

I know that chasing health is better than weight. But my primary goal right now is weight loss and perhaps the only thing preventing my stall from breaking is discovering and then applying the right ‘techniques’ that have worked with others. Thanks.