Plugra Butter--ever tried it?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

It’s a European style butter with a higher fat content. It’s got a higher price tag, too, and I’m not that big of a butter fan in the first place (don’t hurt me) so I’m on the fence about trying it but if somebody can tell me it’s different than Kerrygold in flavor, I may retake the butter plunge.

It often goes on sale at my super, so I sometimes buy it instead of Kerrygold. I can’t really tell the difference in taste.

(James storie) #3

I’ve been wondering about this, I’m going to have to buy some now, you’ve got me curious!

(Sophie) #4

I’ve tried it numerous times. Still think the Kerrygold is better.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

How is it better, to your mind?

(Sophie) #6

I don’t think the Kerrygold is over processed like the US brands. If I remember correctly the Plugra is made in the US. To me it’s typical US butter = bland. The Kerrygold is saltier but it’s more…something that’s hard to define if you’ve never had European Dairy products before.

(Jan) #7

I like them both, but if I had to choose, it’d be Kerrygold.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

Thanks for the feedback. For some reason, I don’t know why, butter makes me a little bit nauseated. I have no problem with any other form of dairy and I can eat bacon grease with a spoon, but butter…(sigh).

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

I buy it when it is on sale. I notice a slight difference in taste but nothing major. Kerrygold is Irish, the climate makes the grasses there very tender. In general that can be said for butter from England/Wales/Scotland/France, too.

If you don’t like the taste/texture/mouth feel of butter, then use rendered fats from bacon, beef, chicken instead. I love smaltz and think anything will taste better with a bit of it.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

Since day one.