PLEASE USE THE F'IN SEARCH FUNCTION (yes I'm shouting đŸ˜© )

I myself was quite happy to just occasionally read for some 2+ months simply because I understood the wealth of info that lurks in forums - and I have busy life. Even read-only privileges are quite generous actually - as being able to read past forum posts is in itself valuable and not to be taken for granted (this platform’s $750/month costs are an investment by patreons in order to provide it). Lots of folks who make it through the bot-guided membership process & procedures are primed for research & reading, except that the bot directly suggests they post and intro and Q.

An option for the bot to instead encourage them to read and search the forum (while being free to post, but just not blatantly stating that) to see if they can find their own answers first, it might help.

Being that I personally found the forum whilst researching some keto phrased questions on the internet - the potential numbers of newbies is quite some math to be aware about as keto continues to show up in news headlines and is mainstreamed by such entities as Virta Health, etc.

Assumptions that the forum would cave with in breeding due to a bit more protocol on new arrivals are rather absurd from an organizational/human dev perspective. People want to belong to the greater community of shared interests - and belonging takes a few forms. More and more people are realizing that FB groups are suboptimal for several reasons, and this forum is much-needed.

New member emails that iterate guidelines are great approach - as well as moderators reminding folks about the SEARCH BAR :smiley:

Plus, I think the existence of this post may have already had a beneficial impact :wink:

Seriously? How? By preventing new people from posting questions a few more experienced posters find repetitious or boring?

I’ve been a member here for just under a month (sorry for having the gall to post). This thread alone has had a chilling affect with respect to my view of the ‘friendliness’ of this board. And if I am willing to say it, there are many others who are likely thinking it.

Well such is digital media - we tend to bring our own emotional tone to it.

I understand that emoticons aren’t sufficient, nor is the art of assuming good faith interesting or relevant for some folks, as is seen daily on FB, etc. But it’s sufficient for me, quite. :smiley:

You cant have it both ways. A serious statement with a cute little smilie tacked on is an old internet technique people use to attempt to make light their intent. :wink:

See how that works? :grin:

Your negging is yours, not mine. Have at it - cos it’s about MY JOY. KCKO :smiley:

I didn’t realize I was talking with myself. But that happens often enough in RL, lol.

So, KCKO. Seriously. :slight_smile:

(Mike Glasbrener) #87

I wasn’t worried in the slightest.

An alternative solution might be to have a senior subsection with more technical detail that isn’t visible until some point. Thus when you surf that section the new nuanced science you are looking for will be uncluttered.

I help noobs when I have time. Ussualy by the time I’ve seen the posts someone else has solved it and I can move on w/o guilt.

Amen, this whole thread has a condescending vibe to it and turned me off instantly. Also don’t be afraid to be a newbie who makes posts, that’s probably encouraged by the owners anyway.

(Mike Glasbrener) #89

Post away!! This is the first thread that I’ve seen that is divisive. Post away!!!

Don’t let this thread raise your cortisol level.:stuck_out_tongue:

(Rob) #90

As said many, many times, no-one is saying noobs shouldn’t post, just have a look around first to see if their most basic questions can be answered better and faster without posting and waiting for response. Quite frankly, it is what we should all do and what so many already do. To suggest this impinges on no-one’s freedom. Restrictions have not been proposed for this place, @SlowBurnMary has shown an alternative approach that works in all kinds of specialized forums BUT IT IS NOT PROPOSED HERE, nor would the 2KDs ever want or allow this.

Search first is just internet 101 and your inference of condescension is yours, not intended.

(Missy) #91

I think a lot of you are taking this thread a bit too personally
and quite honesty, IMO, is taking a turn like some mob mentality who require blood from the OP. I too am a noob and am probably guilty of posting or asking a question that has already been asked and answered a thousand times, but I took no condescension or snobbery from the OP, being that it was simply an OPINION/SUGGESTION/RANT. I understand people voicing their opinions regarding the original post itself, but when you keep “throwing more logs” on the fire and fueling the flames, trying to get a non-existent point across when the OP has already explained what his post was about, it gets me wondering what your, (those who continue to fuel the flames), intentions are?
This is by far the most friendly and respectable keto forum I have seen and it would be ashamed for it to turn into some “kill the messenger and stomp them from existence just because I don’t agree or see things your way and you offended me” kind of a forum.
Whether you’re a noob or seasoned ketoer
no one gets reprimanded for posting an issue that’s already been addressed, so I don’t understand why anyone is “continuously” upset or bothered for something that didn’t or hasn’t happened.

(Rob) #93

The wild Wild West wasn’t even the wild Wild West unless you get your history from cowboy movies.

‘Should’ is such an evil word :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
 I can see how you would feel personally slighted :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for morale, the thread has hundreds of likes, most pro ‘search first’ and it seems that there are very few who have somehow taken this personally.

Well, at least you can put a positive spin on what’s actually transpired here. :stuck_out_tongue:

(TJ Borden) #95

@Capnbob

I’m new to keto. What are “macros”?

:joy:Sorry, couldn’t resist. I actually agree, but I’m not annoyed by explaining the basics over and over yet because it’s helping reinforce the knowledge in my memory.

I request you change the title if that’s possible. It has a certain
 er, tone?
Nothing personal. Shouting and swearing are aggressive online fullstop.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #97

Is there a mod who might send this thread to the fiery death it deserves?

(Rob) #98

:rofl::rofl: I’m not so much annoyed but it is a waste of time for all concerned.

This place is new, there are only 10,000 threads and 15,000 members. I’ve managed much larger communities with vastly more content which is where I hope this place is going. As they grow fast, the proportion of ‘experts’ to noobs tends to shrink so more and more is asked of a smaller proportion of members. It’s hard to pin down but Wikipedia seems to have a very small proportion of users contributing a huge proportion of substantive content which is not sustainable here.

(Rob) #99

I know, facts are so pesky.

Look! A pork chop! ------> :pig2:

See, there’s that condescending tone again. :stuck_out_tongue: