PLEASE help a struggling single dad out

EDIT 8th of July; New questions added down in the thread!

Hello,

I need your kindness and help people! I became a single, fulltime parent, at the age of 21. That was 10 years ago, and in that time, I put on 40kg/88lbs :cry::cry::cry:
NOW I want to get rid of that and become more happy/fit/an inspiration to my son. BUT there is too much information, some of it conflicting etc., and I am starting to suffer from information overload! Can I please ask you some questions?!?!?

1. I am not a native English speaker, and google didnā€™t provide an answer for this very important question; I have downloaded a great recipe e-book with keto friendly recipies. It states things like preptime, fat %etc. However, I am not sure how to interpret it. Let me give you an example; a recipe says it serves 4, and contains, ā€œper servingā€; 435 calories, 39g fat, 17g protein, 5g carbs, 2g fiber, 3g net carbs and fat 80%, protein 15% carbs 5%. My question is, what do all these numbers refer to when it says per serving?! Is it if I eat ALL of what that recipe results in, or does it mean that if I divide the food into 4 equal size portions, then each portion gives me all the listed fats/protein etc?

2. How important is protein/fats? I listen/read a lot of Thomas DeLaur and Primal edge health, and their opinions on this are very different?

On top of trying to get all the correct amounts of macros, I also drink 2 tbsp of Bragg applecider vinegear, take probiotic supplements, collagen pills and drink a LOT of water with lemon. Do those things count a lot towards the macros? In other words, do me drinking applecider mean I should count that towards fat or anything else?

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR ANY HELP - I really need it!

This. The recipe divided by 4 will give you those nutritional values.
Apple Cider Vinegar contains no fat, protein or carbs so itā€™s cool.
You will never get a definite answer on protein:fat ratios. Everyoneā€™s got their own opinion. Best to do your own research and experimenting and see what works best for you. Personally I feel itā€™s vitally important not to retrict protein to fit your percentages. Itā€™s the building blocks of the human body. But as youā€™ll read and be told. It does have a bigger effect on Insulin to Fat, but not as big as Carbohydrate. Insulin isnā€™t the enemy. It has a job to do. You will soon realise you have started a never ending journey of tinkering and experimentation. Try enjoy the ride and donā€™t sweat the small stuff.
Good luck to you and respect for you for successfully raising a child all on your own. If you can do that, you can do this!

(TT) #3

I totally get you.

If the package say 4 servings, it means 1/4 of that pack contains 431 calories. The entire package contains 431 x 4= 1724 calories.

When I started, I just focus on Calories, fat and carb, these 3 numbers. Download an app to help you track them.

Thank you!!

Any good recommendations on apps that are precise? It seems to me, that either you stick quite precisly to the assigned macros, or you are thrown out of ketosis (and thus have done it all for almost naughtā€¦)

Thanks for the kind words!! Yeah it was a bit of a sudden shift in the lifestyle of a single 21 year old boy :smiley:
I feel like keto is perfect for me - I can still eat all the delicious meats, without having to sacrifice anything too vital. Have started a journal of the journey (my weight, measurements) and started healthy habits like meditation, drinking green tea and getting enough sleep. Will document progress for myself and maybe share itā€¦

(TT) #6

I use MyPlate and I rather enjoy this app. It is a simple app with short 3-5 minute workouts for the days you are too busy to go to gym.

Our body takes time to adjust, like somebody else said in this forum, we didnā€™t gain weight overnight, so we are not going to lose weight overnight. This is definitely not a ā€œall or nothingā€ kind of situation.

100% with you there. I became a 300lb mess and once I had my son I said no more, I wasnā€™t going to be an embarrassment to my kid. Plus, Iā€™m 37 and Iā€™m going to have to keep up with my kid and younger parents in a couple years, 2 years ago I couldnā€™t even chase him around the house, now Iā€™m 100lbs down and chasing him until he runs outta gas.

(Katie) #8
  1. That is correct. Divide the recipe into 4 servings, each serving is the listed ā€œper servingā€ numbers.

2. Hit your protein number, keep carbohydrates below 20 grams, and eat fat to satiety. You do not have to hit your fat goal number, but as you are starting out you might feel better hitting your fat number.

No need to get stressed out. :slightly_smiling_face: You have been a father for this long, you can switch to keto. It takes time, do not feel rushed. Stick to your goals. I recommend this channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8hSka4bD9U&list=PL9Jh-cEcSjukg2tYQPBUYri_o7kQ_eMZx

Thisā€¦ This soooo much. Thanks for your support sir!

I will go and watch their videoes now!

Some follow up questions if I may;

• Can I use intermitting fasting to keto into ketotsis faster?
  • What happens if I eat LOWER than the recommended daily intake of macros? It seems like a ton of food!!
  • Probably gonna ask a lot more :smiley:

(Chris) #12
  1. Certainly can. Thereā€™s no law stating you must be in ketosis 24/7 though, and often chasing that goal can be a waste of time.

2. Eat until satisfied.

3. Ask away :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply - family crisisā€¦

Anywho, since August I have been fasting 16-18 hours, 5 days a week, but eaten a mix of junk food and normal food. Still, have lost over 20 pounds. Now, after having coped with the family crisis, I want to get back on the horse for real, which leads to some questions!

1. In regards to the whole ā€œhow much food should I eat?ā€, I think I will eat 2 big meals a day, in my 6 hour eating window. However, having used a keto calculator, that means that each meal should consist of 1030 calories, of which 85 is fat, 5-7 is carbs and 60 is protein. Having looked at keto recipies, that translates into a HUGE amount of food! Just to make absolutely sure, as long as I follow the macro ratio, itā€™s ok to eat smaller portions/until I am full, correct? My body will let me know if I need anything? (I make sure to add more salt, eat magnesium supplements, dring ACV etc).

2. Is it normal to have trouble falling asleep? I normally go to sleep around 21.00, but donā€™t fall asleep until around 01.00! Is it due to IF and keto, or more likely to be caused by my stress/depression?

3. I am going to start working out 3 times a week, following a Thomas DeLaur workout set for beginners. This program is mainly focused on muscle growth to help accelerate weight loss - not cardio. Since I donā€™t train my legs as such, would there be any harm in adding some LIGHT running on the days I donā€™t work out? What makes me question, is the whole ā€œadd a day of rest for the musclesā€ saying.

Any and all help is appreciated!

(Laurie) #14

Hi, @StrangeDane.

1. I have a 4-hour eating window, and I know it can be a challenge getting all the food down in a short period. According to my understanding, itā€™s better if you eat 2 meals in the 6 hours. But you can eat smaller amounts over the 6 hours.

2. I donā€™t know. Iā€™ve had sleep trouble for most of my life!

3. The day of rest refers to the strength training aspect. You can do cardio (e.g., running) on days you donā€™t do strength training.

I hope that helps.