Plant based Keto recipes

I don’t mind eating some meat but I like to keep it’s use fairly low. I also don’t think consuming a lot of cured/processed meat like bacon is healthy. I would like to find some Keto recipes that get a majority of fat calories from plant sources. Are there any cookbooks or web sites out there that are geared more towards plant based whole food keto? I plan to use eggs and some dairy as well.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

(Jay AM) #3

Your struggle is going to come from keeping carbs under 20g net as well as actually getting enough fats. Your good sources of fat to add will be things like butter, olive oil, avocado, coconut oil.
You may also struggle with sodium, possibly magnesium, maybe potassium. You’ll still have to make sure to intake enough of those things. If you’re willing to sometimes eat meat, focusing on humane grass fed (for beef and sheep) or pastured (for pork and sometimes chicken) will be good.

Here’s a starter list:

Thanks for the info. The Ruled Me site does have some great ideas. I plan on getting some fat calories from meat and will also be using eggs and some dairy. However I would like to get a majority of my fat calories from plant sources. Thanks again.

(Jay AM) #5

My only caution is with saturated fat intake. As in, make sure you do intake it. Though, your eggs and dairy will have it so that’s good. Vegetarian keto is what I searched for that recipe list. There are lots and lots of those recipes. You can also often make casseroles, pizzas, and other mostly one pot meals in a vegetarian or low meat style.

I started buying uncured bacon.
Breakfast was butter and eggs. Lunch today I had half an avocado, some mixed cruciferous: broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and mushrooms and spinach in a creamy sauce of heavy cream cream cheese and parmesan and spices. Dinner is steak and salad. Will probably make a pudding of peanut butter and cream cheese and butter and heavy cream.
I am avoiding meat as much as possible because I find it very easy to go over my protein macros if I eat meat with every meal.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

Oddly, I don’t believe that getting a large amount of fat from vegetable sources is that great an idea.

I suppose you could supplement your way to a proper 3:6 ratio. Or eat a lot of kelp.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

Uncured bacon is a misnomer. It’s cured with nitrites from natural sources, like celery seed, but it’s still cured.

(TJ Borden) #9

Love that

Yeah I’m ok with celery juice and sea salt

LeCheffre, are you referring to not getting enough omega 3’s? Chia Seed, flax seed and hemp seeds are all good sources. There are other good plant sources as well. Plus I will be eating some seafood that is high in Omega 3’s.

follow @carriediulusmd on social media shes a ketogenic vegan md who has things pretty dialed

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #13

Yeah… not really.
They’re all rich in Omega-3 ALA. You have no actual use for ALA*, save to make DHA and EPA, the useful Omega-3 PUFAs. The conversion rate from ALA to DHA is on the order of 8-20% conversion, with women being better at it than men, due to it being helped by estrogen. EPA is worse, at 1-9%.

To get 3g of combined EPA and DHA, that’s more flax than you will ever want to eat. What’s more, Flax, Hemp and Chia also have Omega-6 PUFAs. Generally, a 1:1 ratio or better in favor of 3, but combined with the poor conversion rates, it’s a lot better to get it from marine and animal sources.

I’d also be concerned about Vitamin A. A large percentage of people contain a mutation that will not allow them convert carotenoids to actual Retinol - A, the A that you use for a lot of things. Supplementation recommended if you come up with deficiency symptoms.
https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/disorders-of-nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-a

That said, mileage varies, we’re individuals, n=1, etc etc. Good luck. Just want you to go in with eyes open to the best way to to do it.

LeCheffre, thanks for the info. I’m not an expert by any means. I was just looking at the amount of omega 3’s in those sources and I guess it is not that simple. I’m trying to figure out a good healthy way to get the fats I need. I don’t want to eat a ton of meat so would like to get as much as I can from plant sources. I can eat more seafood if that is what it takes though. I’m really skeptical of eating a lot of cured/processed meats like bacon.

(Brian) #15

Jeff, there are other animal products other than bacon. FWIW, I’m in a weird group that doesn’t eat bacon. I get poked a bit at times but that’s who I am. I do eat some fish and I also eat eggs and dairy, along with some poultry and some beef. I’m not a heavy meat eater but I do eat some. I try to make it good quality because I’m also weird enough to believe it matters what the animal that I’m eating ate.

I’m a little leery of flax. As a guy, I’m told that there can be estrogen type issues when consuming flax and soy, among a few other things. And while I won’t go out of my way to insult someone who made something with flax that they want me to try, I don’t use it as a regular part of my diet either. There are numerous conflicting opinions on that one. My wife being allergic to soy kind of sealed that one up for me, too.

Good luck!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

No requirement to eat bacon.
If you buy the good eggs, eat proper fish a couple times a week, and don’t use cheap omega-6 rich oils in cooking, you’ll probably be okay.
That said, never hurts to take a fish oil supplement, unless they’ve gone rancid and have turned into lipid peroxides (really bad for you).

(Tubeman) #17

I wish more people understood this. Misleading labeling if you ask me.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #18

It’s apparently a lot like C-12 being a Medium Chain Triglyceride… it technically is medium chain, but it doesn’t do the stuff that C-6, C-8 and C-10 do… at least as I understand that… I’m about a decade behind and catching up.

I’m sorry to interrupt, but your lunch and pudding sound heavenly. xP

I’ve only been doing this for 2 weeks, but have found lots of great recipes I want to try out, so it’s helping me stick with this WOE. Diet Doctor has some keto veggie recipes, I tried this pie filling the other day: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-spinach-goat-cheese-pie , but with the pastry from this recipe: https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/lchf-spinach-and-feta-pie/
I’ve found quite a few good recipes on Pinterest, & have made some flaxseed bread, plus there’s a really nice seed bread recipe to try on here, can find the link if you like, eating some tofu, tahini over leafy veg, & make a chia seed porridge with nut milk & peanut butter, although it is a little more carb so have to watch the carbs the rest of the day.
I was really miserable when I tried keto the first time, & gave up quickly, but have researched a lot more this time, so am better prepared.