Personal Best (PB) on the scales today

(Christopher Avery) #1

197.5 lbs this morning. #Win

When I started keto five months ago I was fluctuating between 207-211 (I’m 6’1", 61 years). I’ve been husky all my life, athletic, and not visibly obese (suggested normal/ideal weight between 140-188). I’ve lost some muscle mass over the last two years due to a lifestyle change. Big sign: My size Large t-shirts got tight even though I was not gaining weight. My chest and abdomen started sagging—big spare tire and moobs!. I haven’t yet had a dexa scan. It’s on my list.

A couple of random n=1 thoughts:

1. Uneven weight loss. Since I am so happy eating keto, I’m cool with this. I’m not in a hurry. I lost five or six lbs in the first week, then staid at around 203 for the next three-and-a-half months. These 5.5 lbs have come off in spurts over the last six weeks.

2. Natural intermittent fasting (IF). I’m eating only when hungry. The natural result is random feast and famine cycles of a day or two, which I associate with the weight loss. I just traveled from Texas to Australia for a week of business each in Melbourne and Sydney. I didn’t weigh myself while there and stayed on keto, although there were some questionable sauces I enjoyed realizing they may contain sugars/starches. (BTY, conference attendees didn’t gawk when I tore apart five sandwiches from the lunch buffet to eat the meat and lettuce only. Yes, I moved the sandwiches to my plate first and bussed my own plate loaded with five empty buns.) I was delighted when I arrived home and the scales read 201. Just before leaving I was at 198.5, so I assumed this 2.5 lb difference was random (water, gastro system contents, etc.). This week’s results seem to support that.

My pants fit better. (-:

(David) #2

That’s great to read Christopher, although the image of you scavenging keto-friendly sandwich components directly from the platter and casting the rest aside made me smile even if it’s not what happened. It wouldn’t get much more primal than that!

(Christopher Avery) #3

“Primal” :rofl:

196lbs this morning. Woot!

(David) #4

Awesome. I’m in Vegas at the moment. It will take some willpower to get on the scales when I get back home on Saturday. #thatcantberight