Perfect hard boiled egg

(Doug) #61

I have to think there’s some ‘voodoo’ involved (or else it’s just a fact that I was some sort of past-life mega-sinner).

For most of last spring and summer, my wife and I had a hell of a time peeling hard-boiled eggs. This was with eggs from 1 to 4 weeks old, including from different stores and different producers. It seemed like we could do no right - tried boiling, steaming, adding salt, adding baking soda, etc… Nothing worked.

This month - got a bunch of eggs and just boiled them in water for ~12 minutes, then ran cold water (no ice involved) over them, dumping the pot out, over and over until the eggs didn’t feel warm anymore. Let them sit in the water for an hour or so, and then they peeled SO easily. I just don’t get it…

(Paulene ) #62

Yeah I always chill eggs like that immediately after cooking. Stops them cooking more and avoids the awful sulphur ring. Makes no difference at all to peelability tho. Cracking the shell immediately after cooking and before chilling helps with eggs that aren’t super fresh.

Maybe they feed the chickens silicone at those commercial egg farms. :grinning:

:astonished:

From reading this forum, it seems people in the US boil eggs for a long, long time until they are very hard. Most people I know here in Australia do 3min for soft, 4 for med, 5 for hard.
Maybe it’s because we dont have a lot of salmonella here? Dunno.

(Jane) #63

I use my Instant Pot to boil my eggs. 6-6-6. Perfect every time and peel like a dream. 6 min pressure cook, 6 min depressurize (then release manually), 6 min in an ice bath.

(Doug) #64

:smile: Wow, Paulene - I thought the minimum was 8 -10 minutes… Are Southern Hemisphere minutes longer?

(Paulene ) #65

Certainly feels that way Mon-Fri between 9am and 5pm, @OldDoug

Maybe water boils ar a lower temperatre in the northern hemi.:grin:

Those times are for eggs at room temp. To be honest, I only do hard boiled eggs by accident, when I forget them (which is fairly frequently). Hard to us is when the yolk is cooked through. We only do that for sandwiches. My family doesnt like them just to eat by themselves unless the yolkes still gooey, and my husband prefers them with the yolk basically just warmed up and the white still soft :nauseated_face:(therefore he makes his own as I can be trusted with time precision :rofl:)
My kids grew up on soft boiled eggs with soilders (fingers of toast to dip in the runny yolk). Surely that would be impossible with a 10min egg?

Screenshot_20200111-092244

(Marianne) #66

Me neither; it’s hit and miss, no matter what I try.

(Marianne) #67

Hell yeah :rofl:; I make a batch yesterday and boiled them for 15 minutes and then let them sit in the hot water for for five before I soaked them in cold water. Put them in the fridge after that and these ones peeled okay.

(Marianne) #68

That is the mark of the devil - were you making deviled eggs? If not, please do them 7-6-6 or any combination thereof.

:joy:

(Paulene ) #69

:joy::joy:

Breeding evil with 666 eggs.

(Jane) #70

:rofl:

I usually am making deviled eggs and it helps my feeble brain remember how long for each step!!!

^^This. I’m always flabbergasted when people say they boil their eggs for 20 minutes. Why??? I do mine for eight minutes and they are always perfectly hard-boiled! (I personally prefer them six to seven minutes, so the yolk’s still a little creamy.)

Cover eggs w/cold water.
Bring to a boil.
Leave for one minute.
Remove from heat and let stand in the hot water for 8-12 minutes depending on size and desired consistency.
Run under cold water.

To peel I use a 500ml (2 cup) mason jar with 2 eggs and about half full of water. Shake vigourously. Usually the shell comes off easily after.

(Marianne) #73

I like the yolks completely done and not creamy.

(Marianne) #74

Really!? I am going to try this!

But the yolks are seriously done and crumbly after less than 10 minutes. Cooking them longer just means they will start to discolour…