People with Stand Up Desks at work, do you record significantly more steps?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #1

I’m such a sedentary worker
I work in an Office from 9-5:30 and unless I pee or go out for a vape, I’m on my ass.
I just installed a stand up desk, you know the type you can raise to stand and work ergonomically at your desk?
Can anyone who has one, report significantly more steps recorded on their fitness trackers?
I’m hoping it’ll keep me more active but I won’t bother standing if it’s not going to do much lol.

(Eli) #2

I have done a fair bit of research into standing at your desk instead of sitting when the trend for them was high and I was wondering about getting it myself. From what I had found is that standing for 8 hours really doesn’t equate to that much exercise, in fact the articles I read estimated that standing for 8+ hours is the same as a 5-10 minute jog and can just make you and your legs sore from standing in one place for so long.

Let me know if you found other evidence that supports standing desks but It’s just not personally worth it for me. I would rather do a quick jog sometime during the day and be able to sit in a comfy chair the rest.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Yeah that makes sense. Boo. Lol.

(Eli) #4

Yeah sorry about that lol. But please don’t let it stop you. Try it out for yourself and if it works for you go ahead :slight_smile:

(Kirk) #5

I had one for the last year or so before I retired from full time work, and it was great. It may not have in increased my step count, but I was always alert, energized and reasy to go when I needed to leave my office. At the end of the day I felt great

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

Well those are certainly positives!

I sit in an office for most of the day and have had subtle, mild back aches for years. All day, all night, every day, not severe, but nagging. I ordered a standing desk and VOILA - no more back aches! Sitting all day is not good for the spine, and you may not get more steps in but standing is good for your bones - it’s a weight-bearing exercise.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

I’ll take what I can get, lol, thanks Sue :slight_smile:

(Ryan P) #9

If you’re looking to record more steps, a treadmill desk (1-2mph) would definitely be preferred over a standing desk. You can install the treadmill under your standing desk if you have the budget.

I would get back ache and knee ache and foot ache if I was standing all day. Been there, done that.

So now I have a very nice comfy office chair (cost a bloomin’ fortune!) that is rated for 24 hr use. Everything is adjustable and tiltable, so I don’t have to worry about leg circulation (thanks Mr Varicose), or my spine and pelvis angles. Feet flat, back and shoulders straight. I never lean back and lounge any more because I am no longer in constant pain. So my abdominals and back muscles are always engaged. I work with 3 screens, which requires quite a lot of head turning, which keeps me mobile (without any strain). My back is now pain free unless I start moving furniture or do too much gardening.

And since I work from home, I am able to get up and trundle to the upstairs loo (that is several flights a day), and do steps and barr exercises when waiting for the kettle to boil.

It works out great, and as a way to keep moving I rate it higher than a standing desk, or those dreadful standard office chairs that I used to get given back in my commuting days.

(Bressain Dinkelman) #11

I have a standing desk (though I alternate every hour or so to sitting) and a fitbit and I can’t say I have many more steps. Maybe 500 more? It helps my back so it’s still worth it to me.

Huh, I have the opposite experience - standing at a desk makes my back ache, and I need to sit to relieve it! And, unfortunately, using a standing desk turns my (usually pretty damn accurate) typing skills to SHIT! :tired_face:

Everybody is different, and every body is different. Let us know how you get on, @ava_ad0re.

(Jeff Gilbertson) #13

I found that sitting all day hurt my back, and standing for much of the day hurt my back, too.

What works for me is alternating every hour or so, with a little more total time sitting than standing.

Doesn’t show up on my Stepz monitor.

(Charlotte) #14

It hasn’t really lead to more exercise, personally, but my back and hips are much less stiff and sore if I spend even one collective hour of my day standing rather than sitting. I also like to put my desk to the standing position if I’m getting a bit sleepy or restless, which does seem to help with my concentration and productivity, so I think it’s worthwhile for those reasons.

(Terence Dean) #15

This is more my style. :rofl:

(German Ketonian) #16

I have one and scaled it down so I can sit… 'nuff said

(Lonnie Hedley) #17

I sit on an exercise ball. HR said if I bought it myself I could use it.

I’ve done that at work at times, when having a bad back episode. And I always use a Swiss ball at home for watching TV - traditional lounge furniture like soft couches and easy chairs are murder on my back. The challenge to my core, and freedom to gently wriggle and constantly shift position (so the back is not trapped/fixed in one position), are key for me.

(Jennifer Kleiman) #19

I got a treadmill desk and I love it!

(Kirk) #20

Re. Back pain with standing desks. I got heavily into powerlifting as part of my rehab after a heart attack four years ago. I now can lift twice my body weight ( maybe I’ve become an ant?). Anyway, a strong back and core are, in my opinion, the key to having zero back pain issues.