People with Stand Up Desks at work, do you record significantly more steps?

(Laurie) #21

I don’t record steps, but I used a standing desk for about 10 years before I retired from freelance editing. Just standing on the floor seemed to bother my feet and hips, so I got a wobble board. It still hurt my feet (even with cushioned soles), so I covered the board with padding: 3 interlocking foam exercise mats, cut to fit wobble board and held on with duct tape. Perfect! Standing on a wobble board provides a slight workout, especially for the “small” muscles, because you’re constantly shifting in order to keep your balance.

If you have a wobble board, you might want to protect your floor with a scrap of carpet or something similar. And standing on the wobble board does take up a small portion of your awareness, so when you need to concentrate especially hard you might want to get off the wobble board and just stand on the floor for a while.

Of course, standing all day isn’t perfect either, so you might consider sitting for part of the day, or putting your legs up for an hour in the evening, or. . . .

I have an acquaintance who says she lost 90 pounds just from switching to a standing desk. That didn’t happen in my case.

I envy those who have the money and/or space for a treadmill desk!