Pasta and Pain - help

(Elizabeth ) #1

So last night I ate pasta and cake. I don’t even like pasta, but I ate it because I felt guilty.

Well, I slept a lot but I didn’t sleep well. All day today I’ve had a raging headache. I had no energy and muscle aches when I woke up. I had a bunch of electrolytes this morning and those aches went away. But this headache! Good grief!

Can eating pasta cause this ridiculous of a reaction? If so, lesson learned! I will stop eating food out of guilt!

(Bunny) #2

You could have drizzled some MCT oil on that pasta, and been in ketosis the next day according to Chris Masterjohn PhD…lol

”…Did you know that adding MCT oil to your pasta is more ketogenic than restricting your carbohydrates to ten percent of calories? …” …More

(Allie) #3

Yes.

(Libby) #4

I hope you feel better soon

(Janet) #5

yes, depending on how long you have been Wheat-Free, according to Dr. Davis, Wheat Re-exposure can be rather nasty. https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/?s=re-exposure

(Jody) #6

I haven’t eaten pasta, I’ll remember this post if I’m ever staring at a plate of it :smile:

(Marius the butter craving dude) #7

One potato chip and I felt like I had razors in my stomach and intestines… You are lucky…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Social pressures? Don’t do that to yourself if that’s the case. Don’t hurt yourself to keep others happy. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Lisa) #9

I tried this exact experiment after seeing it mentioned on another thread; read the links about Masterjohn and then ate a serving of pasta with MCT oil. Even though my blood ketone readings were very high later (around 4), I felt like I was having a blood sugar response, complete with ravenous hunger. So in theory that may work, but it didn’t work for me and I regretted trying it. This morning I was still in ketosis, but much lower than usual (.6 vs. my usual >2). Also, many of my autoimmune symptoms (pain, skin issues, migraine) returned. So to the OP, yes, it’s possible!

(Lisa) #10

I’ve found this to be the case, and I hope I’ve finally learned my lesson!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Exactly, it sounds like you have issues with gluten, not necessarily the carb load. That accounts for the cravings etc. and the autoimmune responses. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Lisa) #12

David, that could well be. That said, I think I also have issues with overall carb load, but that’s another story. :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

You betcha! Whenever I overdo carbohydrate, it takes a couple of days before I start to feel better again, too.

(Elizabeth ) #14

Yes, please do! It totally wasn’t worth it!:grin:

(Elizabeth ) #15

Social pressures are HARD! But I think I have learned my lesson.

(Elizabeth ) #16

Thanks, everybody! It’s the second day after now, and I’m hopeful that things will be better today. Truth be told, I had forgotten how bad headaches pre-keto could be. In a way, it was a good reminder for me? I haven’t had a headache like that since late December (I started Jan 2). I’ve had some light ones since then, but nothing like yesterday’s.

(Marianne) #17

I’ve developed a “screw that” attitude. Why should I feel bad about people pressuring me to eat what I don’t want to. It just makes them feel more comfortable about their own indulging.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Yes, I couldn’t be typing this reply if I had had any grain based pasta last night. Never do anything out of guilt except apologize. So give your body an apology by feeding it a tasty keto meal. And make sure you don’t forget this lesson, it is a valuable one.

Hope you’re feeling better by now.