Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet

(bulkbiker) #193

What was allegedly dangerous the blood glucose or the ketone level?

I would have been extremely pleased with either/both…

(Daisy) #194

Lol I have no idea! I just went by google. It said see a doctor at either of those levels and that it could have potentially serious side effects (that I don’t remember off hand, but they made me nervous enough to stop the fast)

(bulkbiker) #195

That’s a shame as that info is complete bull…

(Daisy) #196

Good to know!!

(Daisy) #197

These were the 2 I saw

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #198

They have to say this to protect themselves from liability suits. It’s the standard paradigm and if someone goes below or above and gets sick from it, they can’t be sued for giving out misleading info.

There are much better keto knowledgeable sites with guidelines that are more realistic. Even on this forum we have folks who report BG as low as 40s with no ill effects. For example, re DKA:

(bulkbiker) #199

The first is complete crap…
the second is correct if you are T1 diabetic with high blood sugar levels or are on certain T2 drugs… if not then you’re fine there too…

(Daisy) #200

I will definitely remember this next time! Thanks guys!

I was debating carnivore and PKD with my husband last night, well, I talked, he pretended to listen…he is seeing the contradictory science we’re dealing with and he’a given up.
The one thing I am confused by is the diarrhea…I have read so many of you struggling with diarrhea until you finally find the balance that works for you. When do you begin to worry? I remember the story of a man with Crohn’s disease and his eight-month healing journey…I imagine he must have been very close to dehydrating many times and I really wonder how many nutrients are actually absorbed.

(Justin Jordan) #202

Or Valter Longo (although, actually, I am positive I could find someone calling them quacks somewhere) but the keyword is research.

As near as I can tell PM doesn’t do research as such, in the sense that Dom or Longo do, so yeah, they’ve set the quackery bar low. But I don’t discount clinical and practical experience.

Given that they basically say everyone needs the same diet and that said cures essentially everything, I am deeply skeptical.

(mole person) #203

I had a blood glucose of 67 yesterday at 5pm only 5 hrs after steak for lunch. This is my normal when eating high fat carnivore. I’ve seen it as low as 57 while unfasted, and felt 100%. Similarly, my ketones at these same times are generally around 3. I imagine after 24 hrs of fasting they’d be considerably higher. Maybe I’ll test that this week.

Not all folks get diarrhea. My hubby is also on this WOE and he (before PKD) had bad constipation. His bms are fine now and he never had any diarrhea issues. I wonder if the diarrhea in the beginning is possibly because of things like oxalate dumping, gallbladder issues, IBD/colitis issues, allergies and so on that maybe healthier folks don’t have to deal with?

I had a blood glucose of 59 once but mine usually stay in the 70s. Last Wednesday I did a super hard weight lifting session and saw my glucose hit 90. Needless to say, I’m back to easy workout mode again. Years ago I fasted at a fasting clinic and we saw blood glucose numbers in the twenties. That’s why that place demanded bed rest while fasting. Talk about absolutely no energy, ugh.

(mole person) #206

@ReneeRC 20’s!!! Holy moly. That is crazy low.

@Ilana_Rose Yes, I was way too weak to even take a shower. When I ended that fast though, I had an unbelievably INSANE amount of energy, omg!!! I would love to get that back which is one of the reasons I’m doing PKD. We were always under the docs supervision though and had our complete blood work done weekly.

(mole person) #208

I have a terrible memory. Can you remind me again why you are doing PKD?

@Ilana_Rose Major digestive issues! Also have other auto-immune issues like psoriasis, Raynaulds and etc, sigh.

(mole person) #210

@ReneeRC Is it helping at all yet?

This. It’s the one size fits all approach, and the assertion that all modern diseases are caused by NOT following the paleolithic ketogenic diet. I feel like that’s a ridiculous claim to make, even if there is some truth behind it. It’s just not scientific. On the other hand I want to believe in them as I feel like this diet is my last hope of getting better, but I can’t suppress my skepticism. At the very least I think they need a better website which doesn’t claim that they can cure anything and everything.

@Ilana_Rose It’s doing wonderfully well for my digestive issues and if PM is correct, then I’ll probably need to see those resolved/healed before the other auto-immune issues improve. I’m just so delighted to be able to go places without checking out where the bathrooms are. Earlier in the month when I was spending a ton of time at the hospital to be there for my friend who had a stroke I was so thankful that I could even do that instead of having to be close to a bathroom. I’m super excited by the PKD so far. :smile: