OXtoberFest ZC Challenge

(JJ) #421

@KellynP You must be feeling very worried, hope the news is good. Good on you for getting tested before traveling, sounds like a very sensible and loving thing to do for your parents.

I hope your little dog is okay @Fangs. Hope the vet bill wasn’t too scary and that your canine friend is on the way to recovery.

When your students ask if you are ok, things must be rough Franko Bear! Hope the headache nicks off really quickly.

So my adjustment is happening rather ‘textbook’-like. Bit of nausea and lack of appetite. I knew I was physically hungry this morning though as I woke up burping a lot. Gross, but it is what happens as I get toward the end of a fast or if I am running/cycling hard and run out of fuel. I didn’t much feel like eating, but listened to my loud (!) hunger signals and made a plain chaffle (just mozarella and an egg) with some butter. Feel so much better for it. I did have some left over ground beef in the fridge but no way I could have managed it just now, baby steps I guess.
I feel so on top of the world after breakfast, I think I may go for a run. My joints have been aching the last few months so I havent run much, but feel keen as can be now.

Sending good vibes and prayers for your Dad! But luckily treatment etc is good on this situation for the majority.
and your HWC is ok :slight_smile: It is fine :wink:

I did this with my kid but I knew I was luckier cause I started teaching her ‘low carb’ early on, like age 6 and now she is 15 and she is holding her weight very steady, not gaining and is in good shape but I had those same concerns for sure. I never wanted her to be a ‘insanity dieter and failure’ like I went thru and boy I went thru diets like crazy and it ruined me truly, and I did all that in older years and I sure didn’t want her going down that route.

What I did was just tell her that ‘carbs’ are the worst guys in the food group. Explains those are breads, candy of all kinds, chips, taters, anything fried etc. and told her to always just cut out an option when eating. And we all eat different in the house too like you LOL and I did the ‘healthy meals’ for her but also made it a little test of like, now you are getting spaghetti and meatballs and garlic bread, are ya eating 2 slices of bread or 1 and we finally got down to where she will not eat ANY bread with pasta…she knows that pasta is the carb and bread is the carb so she opted to change up her eating but ditching the bread along with pasta all the time now. I had her replace ‘all the time eating french fries’ with a meal to she now orders a veggie side to meals and at home if I say we are eating bbq chicken and I can make her french fries, she will say, nah, not this time, make me a big pile of brussel sprouts and green beans.

So basically I walked her into low carb choices and to ‘give and take’ on her choices. She ‘gets it’ ya know LOL Being 15 she has been in the same size jeans for about 4 years now and just holding her weight so to me she has figured out how to hold a stable weight at this point.

So that is just something I did with her. I didn’t wanna come at her too hard, cause when I tried saying NEVER eat carbs and sugar she thinks I am fanatical LOL so I had to baby step her into ‘what low carb’ eating was all about.

just throwing out some stuff and how I went about trying to get it across to her on what is bad out there…useless sugar like candy, cakes, soda is just non-nutritional and enjoyed sparingly and then she had to watch the food options of fries, fried food, and eating bread with that meal etc. and in the end, I watched how she changed her eating and I did ok thru it all. I feel like I gave her the ‘basics’ for taking it farther if she wants but gave her a ‘good low carb’ explanation base as a foundation.

I blabbed on, but yea, our kids need to know low carb. My kid will never go zc ever…she ain’t got it in her LOL so I knew that a basic low carb foundation had to be cemented into her and it was, and so far so good for her at this point.

You will do fine. Take it slower on why she is eating what she is eating ya know and why you need to watch the carb options in meals a bit and it gives them a sense of control and knowledge about their choices.

doing great on zc SB!

the teens! Brrrr! winter is coming at us for sure now. In NC we are in the AC one day and heat on the next HAHA Not sure just yet if we are gonna burn or freeze LOL

YES I so get that. Had many in my days working of those that don’t give a flying leap about putting any energy into the job and doing it correct and to completion. Oh boy I get what you are saying—more work for us! ugh. Feel like ya could just smack someone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

so happy you are eating well. eating is key here on this plan.

just also watch your exercise. don’t push you at all since you are in adaption phase. have a good run but never go too far ya know…you might run out of power faster than you think…adaption is all kinds of things for each of us, so just watch you and adjust your exercising as needed in the beginning. Down the line later you will have all the energy you need to run your little heart out LOL Charles Washington (ZIOH) is a big runner. Total enjoyment for him and he is now almost like, hmm, wanna say 15-18 year zero carber and is thriving. So you got zc running buddies out there HAHA

food yesterday was

1 lb. NY strip steak
taylor ham
1 tin of sardines
3 cheeseburger patties

feeling wonderful.

No more loss as of yet, just holding my low of 1.5 lbs gone.

Nothing much more to report other than I have to go with hubby to pick up the truck at the tire place and on the way home I am gonna hit the store over in that area and check out the meat dept. and hit some sales hopefully! My freezer is always calling for more meat :wink:

other than that, easy peasy type day for me.

ZC ON EVERYONE. Time on plan will give great results as long as we hold our plan tight and enjoy all that good meat/seafood/fish we can eat!

(Kellyn ) #425

Thank you, Jules. :blush:

Thank you, Fangs. I’m keeping it in my diet for now. I just need that extra to stay on plan and feel a slight sense of comfort.

What a great idea! I love this and will definitely use it to start teaching her how to make healthy choices. You are so wise. Thank you for sharing this.

I am glad you are feeling so good and not aching as much now. I really wish I liked to run. I have never been able to get my breathing right.

My husband stopped at a local restaurant for pizza last night that he had never tried before. This place thought was a restaraunt that me and my grandma used to eat at all the time. She passed away in last Christmas. I was telling him that we used to share the buffalo chicken salad. He talked me into getting it. I want to stay accountable and be honest with all of you. I did eat it. It was just like I remembered but now I am feeling a ton of guilt. For the most part is it low carb but they do fry the chicken and they add pineapple pieces. I shared it with my daughter who loved it too. Anyway back to zero carb today. I’m putting that behind me and moving forward. I guess a cheat of salad is better than it could have been, but still I feel guilty.

I get my COVID test today and should get my results tomorrow or Friday. I hope tomorrow because I was hoping to leave after work on Friday for Virginia. I am not looking forward to the test. I have heard how uncomfortable and painful the swab into the sinus cavity is. My dad’s appointment is today at 3:00 .I am not expecting to have any answers today but will still be in prayer for him.

I brought some eggs to work this morning and cooked them in the microwave. I did not have time this morning to cook them before I left. I also drank some coffee with HWC. I have a steak to eat for lunch and brought some sparkling water. I hope you all have a great zero carb day!

(JJ) #426

@KellynP The swab is definitely not the most fun you can have, that is for sure. If done correctly, it hurts your nasal passages, as with a normal flu swab, you can do only one nare and everyone has one that is more ‘open’ than the other, so you pick the biggest one, Covid swabs go both nares. Good on you for getting it done and going through the unpleasantness.
I have been swabbed twice this year, my kids three times. Here in Australia, if kids have even the slightest respiratory symptoms, they must be excluded from school, swabbed and not return until they have a neg swab. I am a midwife, so also have gotten swabbed at the vaguest hint of a runny nose or scratchy throat to keep my vulnerable patients safe, my employer is great though and we all get ‘swab leave’ so are paid at our full rate until we get our results, whether it takes one or three days. I feel very fortunate.
Have you got any plans for when you are up visiting your parents? Or just stay in and spend some time together, given things have been a bit stressful with your Dad’s health?
Ha! Don’t worry about not running, I hated the idea of it and only started to support my eldest getting fit enough to get into the Defence Force, then kinda got hooked. I am a turtle though, nothing fast about me :wink:

@Fangs nice menu for the day. Drool! How did you go at the sales? Did you nab some bargains? Do tell!
Very sound advice about not overdoing it when adapting. It was a verrrry cruisy 2.5km (prob just over a mile?) yesterday. I have had some joint troubles this year, so have really backed off. I did run 2x half marathons totally keto late last year though, would like to run another half early next year if my body is willing. Who knows if ZC works out for me, I can compare the experience of a Keto half marathon to a ZC one.

(JJ) #427

Didn’t quite get dinner right tonight, ate about 100g smoked salmon, wrapped around some small slices of triple cream brie and sardines (150g total of those), it was a bit fishy overload and I needed to pause, thought I was full so threw out my last fishy roll…then realised I was still hungry

Well, the days off are over. Back to work in an hour. =( Managed to clean the kitchen pretty well, though, despite a cooking frenzy. My youngest son sometimes comes over on his lunch break- and he surprised me yesterday. (Most of the time he will text and see if I’m home first.) I just happened to be home, and was cooking a massive chuck steak. So, we split it. That was cool. He showed up again to pick up his mail, and shower. So, we shared ANOTHER steak. LOL! I cooked up some chicken late last night so I’d have some for work, and my daughter would have some good protein after school. She is trying SO HARD to stay the course with Keto, but begged me for some lo-carb wraps - as a treat. I found them, and they are not all that lo-carb. I did find the 1g Net carb bread, though…and reluctantly bought it for her. I figure, if it will help her stay the course, I’ll do it. She has worked so hard, and done remarkably well staying away from all fast food, and asking questions about her food choices to make sure its okay.

Well…I’m just cruisin along here, and enjoying the meat. Yesterday was beef day. Today is chicken day. But, no matter what meat you choose, make it a happy and blessed day! SB

yea that is true. if you need zc to function best and you will know it if you hold plan tight, cause if you back off and add back some plants/fruits and do another type plan, you will know how those foods effect you and you can then see if you need to stay zc or if you can go back a bit into other foods. So that is a personal journey everyone kinda walks as they change and transition into zc.

and that will be cool putting your 1/2 marathon when eating keto back then and what your marathon is like when eating zc. Just keep eating well thru adaption and like your body change and heal up and get stronger, and see where this all takes ya :slight_smile:

Sales? Nah, didn’t do so great, but the store had more of my ‘taylor ham’ I eat alot of and I got new stock of that, and I bought 4 ribeyes that looked yum but the sale price wasn’t ‘that good of a sale’ price ya know so I backed off on buying more of those. I tell ya for the amt of great steaks I eat, I gotta find those low low sale prices when I can LOL

HAHA, still hungry huh?, Yea I get that! yea when changing over be sure to focus a bit on some good old heavy meat in your day :slight_smile: fish and all is great, but it should be thought of as a ‘side dish’ to a steak LOL

@SecondBreakfast
that is great you guys are sharing chuck steaks! YUM, but you are nicer than me, I have to say when someone says can I have a bite of your meat I almost wanna chew their hand off and say NO HAHA

It sounds to me your daughter is doing very. A very low carb lifestyle is a great thing for those who are not as damaged as some of us and a very low carb lifestyle gives the person some options on how to eat and still get good results and be healthier. My kid who is 15 is not ‘even all that low carb’ but she is ‘low carb’ for sure on what she used to eat, and she eats way less carbs then alot of people out there LOL…so it is great the kids are seeing how to manage their carb intake in a day and do well and still be happy with what they are eating. Low carb wraps are a good thing for her if it helps her stay low carb :slight_smile: so sounds good to me!! She is learning and that is the best!!

(Kellyn ) #431

You are blessed with such a great job. We have to use our paid time off here if we get sick. I am showing no symptoms so I was allowed to continue to work.
Virginia is a beautiful place, especially at my parents house. They live in a 100 year old farmhouse in the mountains and have a creek across the street. My favorite time there is getting up early and drinking coffee on the front porch with my Dad. We are both morning people and that is the time we have our best talks. My sister and her daughters live there, too. We plan to take our girls trick or treating Saturday night and carving a pumpkin on Halloween day, but other than that we will mostly just spend time together and enjoy the fall weather on my parent’s front porch.

Yesterday my food was two eggs in the morning and a large steak for lunch. I had a couple cups of coffee yesterday but did not eat dinner. We had our church trunk or treat that we held inside due to the weather. It was the first time I had done this and I was so stressed out over it. I had to figure out how to make my theme on a table instead of a trunk as I planned. It turned out good, but I had a bowling game for the kids which was a huge mistake. There was hundreds of kids and I was running my booth alone. This meant that I had to set up bowling pins over and over as well as shoot the candy through a tube for the kids to socially distance. It was hot in there and I was constantly bending over and picking up a large PVC pipe. I was utterly exhausted after the hour and a half event. On the way out of the event to put everything in the car I go soaked by the downpour in the parking lot. When I got home, I went straight to bed. I have learned my lesson on using bowling games for large events. No more, lol. I am anxiously awaiting my COVID test results today.

Dad had his appointment yesterday. Just a consult. They said his PSA was 50 when normal range is 4-5. He is going to have a biopsy but they have not scheduled it yet.

wow, man oh man that was the icing on the cake huh but at least the storm waiting while the kids did have fun and everything went well!!! That sounded like a tough night for a KP!!

Well wishes for your Dad. All will be fine I am sure and if treatment is required they are working miracles with all that now actually so :slight_smile: :slight_smile: wishing nothing but the best!! Always in my thoughts and prayers!

hey you be sure and eat well today!

(Kellyn ) #433

It was a great night for the kids. Everything looked good and there were hundreds of kids. We actually ran out of candy. Thank you for your prayers, Fangs. I appreciate them and need them. :heart:
I brought some beef patties for lunch and had 3 eggs with butter this morning. I am having chicken wings tonight.

Wow guys OxtoberFest is winding down now and like any month I look back and say, wow, where did this month go LOL

When I quit my job at age 43 when I had my one and only kid…I then took up full time on my farm biz and we farmed for profit like crazy and boy the work schedule and more was insanity but I remembered the days ya know…when we shut down the farm operations, sold off all livestock etc, sold land and I finally closed my personal farm biz…every day now bleeds into another day. Like I knew the days of the week when I worked hard cause there was not enough of them for me HAHA but now…I never know what day it is and when months fly by it is like, huh? what? into NoCarbvember now? So soon?

Me and my 92 yr old mom laugh like crazy about that. She says something like, today is Thurs and I then I say, no mom it is Wed and then later I find out today that she is right and I am wrong LOL I tell ya she can keep track of days better than I can anymore.

Oh I ramble on this now HAHA Just find it funny ya know.

food yesterday was

1 lb. NY strip steak
1/2 lb. jumbo shrimp…they were yum.

10 oz NY strip steak
pile of sliced taylor ham

and still wanted a small cheeseburger patty as a snack after all that food above :slight_smile:

holding my low and darn ‘I feel the skinnies’ coming at me but I don’t think I will lose my usual 1/2 lb. just yet…I feel like it is going to be a Nov. drop and not be an Oxtober drop for me. Oh well that is fine, when the scale drops at any time it is good :slight_smile: but I still have to say I am ‘leaning up’ more on body and I am loving seeing those old collarbones coming out and about :wink:

I will have to shop sooner than later. My shirts, while a few are good and fit well, most of my stuff is just too big anymore. I love ‘big shirts’ and looser for just comfort, but now I am hitting into too baggy for any type of public wearing, I don’t wanna look like that so I might have to pony up and go shopping for new Ts and a few blouses etc. I just don’t like to shop anymore. Got no interest in clothes, jewlery and all that anymore. Used to when younger, now hitting 59 in Dec. I just don’t give it much interest but I know when I need some things to ‘just look more decent’ when out and about LOL Heck I am putting all my jewelry and diamonds and more into a lock box for kid. She can sell it later or combine pieces and make new items if she wants. Jewelry means nothing to me anymore. She can have it all. Older I get I find I am focusing on what I really want, health, time to enjoy that health unemcumbered, hang onto my money for a ton of travel and a damn good retirement life :sunny:

High winds. Got that hurricane coming thru. Lost the pool cover. Sucker was a monster sail just whipping like crazy, ripped up all the edges. I got 24 round above ground. So will go online and buy a new one and have it shipped here. Always something right LOL

Got 2 NY strips defrosting and got me 2 beautiful ribeyes defrosting. Heck I might just eat all 4 today, well, maybe 3, who knows :slight_smile:

Lets finish up Oxtober very strong ZC peeps!!

(Kellyn ) #435

I love this mentality. I love to Goodwill or thrift store shop for smaller clothes. You save a ton of money and during the weight loss process I refuse to spend a lot on clothes I may not fit into in a few months.

This sounds crazy delicious. I’ve got to find some deals on steak at my stores. I’ll being checking on that tonight.

(Alex ) #436

how have you all done this month then? any major surprises positive/negative wise? I am ready for Sunday!

(Kellyn ) #437

My test results came in. I am negative for COVID!!! Yay!!! I am off tomorrow to spend time with my parents :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and I can rest easy that I will not be bringing the virus with me.

:raised_hands::partying_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

cool!

yes I think only like one joined in later with us but we are all on a support thread here to eat only zc and hold the plan and chat results and see how we are fairing thru the changes.

I am heading into 4 years now with zero carb.
I got so much from this plan, it was a life saver for me personally and everyone has their reasons for trying it and all and we just bob along and enjoy the zc company :slight_smile:

your biggest surprise could be your adaption time, cause even a keto person, who controls carbs very tight anyway, walking into this plan thinks ‘adaption’ is easy breezy but for many it is not that way, they have changes they have to deal with…of course some fair better, but each person is individual so…just eat zc and see what goes down

(JJ) #440

Ooo lots of good reading to do over a coffee.

Firstly @KellynP, so so so happy for you. You needed to see your parents this weekend and am so glad you can. Your Dad probably needs the distraction. Virginia and in particular, your parents house sound beautiful, just my kinda place. Enjoy.
Bowling. Fun for the kids, but yes, exhausting for adults no wonder you were pooped.

@Fangs I am 40 and haaaaate shopping already. What will happen to me at 59?! I do like opshops though, happy to browse second hand, has made sense when I lost 30kg last year to not spend much either as my size changed progressively.

@Alex_PN I am still only 5 days in, so a total newbie. My only surprise so far is how quickly my tummy flattened out, woke up day 3 feeling awesome.

Ugh, discovered yes fish is definitely a side dish as you guys say! I went to bed hungry, but didn’t want to eat close to bed time. Thought 300g of oily fish would see me as full as can be…but nope! Going to do some ground beef and bacon soon and then put a giant leg of lamb in the oven to slice up later, thought I may add some butter to the pan juices to make a “gravy”.
I have been on days off since starting ZC, I work perm night duty. I normally fast all night, think I still will as my digestive system does not appreciate work to do at 3am.