Over eating after a 48 hour fast

(Victor Mercado) #1

I just did a 48 hour fast and break I I drank some warm lemon water with sea salt and 2 tbs of Apple vinegar which was pretty nasty, followed that up with some eggs and a kale shake. Then I ate 116 g of fat, 13 g of carb and 90 g of protein.
I feel super bloated and almost sick to my stomach . I’m not sure If It was all the water I drank because I drank a ton.
I would like to know the good and bad in this. I wasn’t super hungry either I could have probably gone another day. I started eating then kept eating to balance out my macros and to get enough in me, whether that was the right move I don’t know.

(TJ Borden) #2

I struggle with the same thing coming off of extended fasts. I always tell myself I’m going to take it easy, and then I never do.

(Victor Mercado) #3

I think I could of not ate as much, but I was trying to get a lot more fat in me overall. So I kept eating lol I feel super bloated right now. I’m the bright side though I am sleepy. I have been fighting insomnia for a couple weeks

(Doug) #4

I think there can be the “rebound effect” where when you start eating, you just don’t want to stop. I think the old advice about eating some, then waiting for 20 minutes or a half hour applies. For what it’s worth, when I’m keto things are much better. In the old carb-burning days, a rebound binge could be of truly biblical proportions.

(Victor Mercado) #5

Been there done that. Carb binge was catastrophic lol

I’m trying to manage eating better at the end of a fast- if I have half an avocado, leave it half hour, have something else, leave it a while, have a small meal, it works okay. Otherwise I overeat & end up with the runs- not good, had that earlier this week when we went out for a meal after a 48hr fast!
I don’t feel too hungry at the end of the fast, but then I start eating & all goes to pot!!

(Victor Mercado) #7

Yeah it’s a struggle. I think I’ll do better next time.

(B) #8

great topic ill be breaking my first fast this Monday. this helped settle my nerves about eating food again

Had a few olives & a little cheese, the left it a couple of hours before eating a meal, no problems, yay!

(Raj Seth) #10

HI’ve done many EFs since January - varying lengths. My current breakfast protocol is 3 heaping Tbsp psyllium husk with a tumbler of water. Then I eat whatever. If the fast I’m breaking is longer than 5 days, I wait 15-20 mins after having the psyllium husk

no more “game of thrones”:grinning:. Been there. Done that. Didn’t like it

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Oh, come on! Have just one more wafer-thin mint . . . :exploding_head:

(back and doublin' down) #12

Already some good thoughts and suggestions. This line sounds like you had some benchmark in mind, that once you started eating you HAD to get in so much food. IME, not required, especially coming off a fast. Did you break the fast in the morning? different time of day? In my rather limited experience, am finding that breaking in the evening with a very light, easy to digest meal gives my body overnight to process and then go back to my keto routine the next day.