Over 55? Support group for older members

(Julia Brindle) #41

Your story is mine exactly. SO glad Im not alone

(Paul F. Carter) #42

Julia - welcome and way to get started!!! Its a funny thing - when I first started - often times when I was Intermitten Fasting or water fasting or turning away from the pasta plate or turning down a beer… I would ask myself what the heck - why am I doing this.

Then the changes started happening, and that snow ball started down the mountain - and the more things changed for the positive, it became exponential for me - the better I felt the more committed I became and so on. YES YES there were hard days - but the change in diet along with mindful Meditaion simultaneously really made all the difference to help me get through tough days.

Then I started sleeping better - and so the story goes.

Now, when I look at a plate of food - all I see is FUEL for the machine. I find myself constantly asking through the day - does the machine need fuel - if so - I get it fuel - The relationship with food does change - just a very different pace for everyone. My dear bride of 20+ years, after 5 months keto, is still working on her relationship with food. Everyone has a different pace and different “keto style”.

Excited for you to begin painting your Keto Landscape!!!

Most warm regards
Paul

(Scott) #43

Had a break, had COVID-19, getting back on the KETO - Week 1, down 5 pounds, Week 2 is looking a little rough - I also went back to the gym, so I think there may be some fat loss accompanied with muscle gain affecting my total weight numbers… hope everyone is well out there!

(Jane Srygley) #44

I think it’s definitely harder to lose after 50. I’m almost 58 (next week!). I’m concerned that under 1000 is a bit too low and could be slowing your metabolism. I’m only 5’3" and can lose weight around 1600 calories per day–more if I incorporate some fasting. I do take metformin once a day though, so I’m sure that helps.

(Jane Srygley) #45

Congratulations and HOLY CRAP YOU JUST STARTED 3 MONTHS AGO??? I’m going to try not to be discouraged since I about died when I rode 19 miles at one shot recently. 15 is about my limit but I love it. You look awesome!

(UsedToBeT2D) #46

This is the support club. I am 9 months Keto after 20 years of T2 diabetes and all the medications. I am off statins, cholesterol meds, and insulin. Near normal weight after being obese for 30 years. KCKO.
I will be 55 yo in 1 month.

(Bob M) #47

That is impressive!

I’m 3 weeks in, also menopausal and lost nothing. Really jealous of your8 lbs!

You’re at the point where it starts to get easier. I found after the 3 week point I no longer wanted carbs at all.
The thing is, you want to be in a constant state of ketosis. If you’re not, you might not lose weight. Don’t take a break for even a single moment.
I’m in month 3 and down 30 pounds. Haven’t been out of ketosis once.
Also, you should try to exercise for, at least, 30 minutes a day. It could be a brisk walk, yoga, free weights, yard work, major house cleaning, or the gym. My house and yard has never looked better. LOL I also do the brisk walk and free weights.
Just don’t give up.

(Scott) #50

Into Week 3 - down 10 pounds, feeling okay…

(Bob M) #51

Impressive! Took me 1.5 years to get there.

Hello, Secondlife! I think it is great that the problem exists. The best support you can have is finding gym friends, and the best option is finding a gym friend in your location with the same problems, so you can encourage each other to move forward. If you are from CA, maybe it is time to change your life for a bit a visit some living places where you can meet new buddies and take a rest for a bit. I know a lot about assisted living in California, so if you need my help with choosing the proper option, let me know. I visited many places where when we were choosing a nice place for my parents.