Other than dairy, what Keto foods can be pro inflammatory?

(Carol E. ) #1

Looking for Keto foods that may cause or aggravate inflammation or your experiences reducing joint inflammation.

TIA :blush:

What's wrong here
(betsy.rome) #2

Following. What about peanuts, peanut butter?

(Allie) #3

Nuts for some people, particularly almonds I believe.

Night shade vegetables: eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, goji berries. Omega 6 oils (vegetable oils) Having the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 being too omega 6 heavy. Soybean oil is terrible for inflammation. Hope this helps.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

Based on a fast I just did last week, I have to say that an extended water-only fast helped a good deal with pain in my knees and lower back. Alas, now that I’m back into feasting mode, some of that has returned, but perhaps regular fasting can help ratchet it down bit by bit.

(Carol E. ) #6

@devhammer, I’m finishing a 24 hour fast and I have to agree.

I came down with what I believe is bursitis in one of my hips. I think it may have been precipitated in part by cottage cheese (which I haven’t eaten in a year) but now I want to do what I can with other food choices.

I have found that heavy whipping cream in particular will cause inflammation (water gain or whatever) without outright pain for me. Too many diet dr peppers will cause inflammation and some pain (esp right knee).

(Jennifer) #8

Processed meats. I have been trying to figure out what is causing my feet to swell up. Today all I have had is some salami and cheese and a slice of braunschweiger and boom, swollen feet. Sigh…

(G. Andrew Duthie) #9

IIRC, a post from you about Diet Dr. Pepper made me wonder if it was causing my issues (I get pain in the left knee). Not easy to tease out from the fast, since I was fasting, and stopped drinking soda, but I was allowing some artificial sweeteners in the form of the drops you put in water to flavor it. So that, at least, did not (by itself) cause knee pain.

Perhaps next time I fast, I’ll get some Diet Dr. Pepper and see if I still have knee pain with just that alone.

n=1, FTW! :slight_smile:

Yes it was after the May Zornfast I believe. I felt fantastic during my fast (nothing but water and tea WITH artificial sweeteners in it). After the fast, drink lots of diet dr. pepper (more than 1 a day for 2 or 3 days) and boom. Pain and swelling, some weight gain.

(Carpe salata!) #11

I bought a big jar of stuffed olives. When I got home, gf said that Dr Gundry says they are full of lectins (antinutrients) . I didn’t open the jar yet, but I figure a few olives now and then can’t be too bad.

Dr Gundry isn’t really keto but he was on our path to keto.

I eat LOTS of olives…

Any food you happen to have a ‘sensitivity’ to can be inflammatory. For me, that’s both dairy and eggs, so although they are low carb, I don’t eat them because I control the pain of my severe osteoarthritis with diet and exercise.

I found out about both things via an ‘elimination diet’–i.e., not eating the item for a month and then introducing it again and assessing what happens.

(Carol E. ) #14

Very good point. I appreciate you making it. Thanks :blush:

(MelissaH) #15

I know this is an old post… Processed meats and pork do it me. I had foot pain the night so bad I swore of bacon​:astonished: I had a pea protein shake the other day and it immediately upset my stomach. In fact I still feel bloated from it! Then this morning my knee starting acting up. It’s like when the inflammation train starts moving it just doesn’t want to stop :rage:
Maybe some fasting is in order

(Adrian ) #16

Nuts come first into my mind, with a very bad omega 3 : omega 6 ratio.
Rancid PUFA’s you can find in canned fish maybe too.