Other Sources re Dr. Berg?

(Tovan Nhsh) #1

In this video Dr. Berg ( a chiropractor in VA, I think ) says that when eating one meal a day the nutritional requirements are actually less than if you eat multiple meals a day. He says that autophagy causes “retention of nutrients” & also says that if the correct nutrients are consumed you could eat a daily total of 900 calories with no negative consequences. To those who have more of an insight into biology/metabolism/fasting than I does this sound accurate? I was under the impression that too far below the TDEE would slow the metabolism with a less than desirable outcome.[(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1hBRLi5QWY&ytbChannel=null)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1hBRLi5QWY&ytbChannel=null

(Vincent Hall) #2

I think I would fall over After a while on only 900 calories OMAD.
I do around 1800 - 2000 as my maintenance, 75-80 fat around 10 carbs, rest protien. and when I get back into a more extensive exercise regime when my shoulder is better, I’m likely to want more calories.
Surely everyone has their own calorie and macro requirements.
\v/

(Tovan Nhsh) #3

Same here. He’s the only one I’ve heard say this hence the curiosity.

Not an expert but here are my thoughts

1. No one should be eating the same amount of calories at the same time each day. Your body starts adapting to routine according to Megan Ramos which is bad.

2. Can you sometimes do 900 a day, I think so. Victor Longos fast mimicking diet which is not keto is designed to be 700 - 1000 calories. I think he believes autophagy occurs but I am not sure about that.

3. There are many debates about autophagy. There are people who think it happens after some hours, such as 24 without food (so not OMAD), there are those that believe that even having coffee with HWC at 100 calories and no carbs will knock you out of autophagy on a fast. There is no data one way or the other so everyone is speculating.

4. Some think autophagy happens only after 42 hours or 72, some studies have been done with growth hormone levels and fasting (autophagy and growth hormone work together since what you destroy you also replace)

5. There is a difference between eating less in ketosis and fasting v restricting calories on Sad. Part of this depends on how much body fat you have. If you are lean, unless you are doing this for an illness such as cancer or as part of a quarterly fast (Tom Seyfried), I do not think that eating 900 calories is a good idea. If you have 40 lbs to lose, then assuming you are fat adapted and in ketosis, it does not matter how many calories you consume, accotding to a formula @richard developed, you should be able to release up to 31 calories a day from each lbs stored body fat. So even if you take in only 900 calories, your body will have access to an additional 1240 calories if you have 40 lbs of excess fat. The one issue is if your insulin is still high even if in ketosis, you may have more trouble accessing stored fat on OMAD or fasting