Osteoporosis and constipation

(Tracy-lee fisher) #1

Hi
I am new to the Keto diet as only started 9 days ago.
I have a couple of questions - since starting I have been constipated. Is this common and are there any suggests. Also I am 53 years old and am aware my mother has osteoporosis. It has always been promoted to eat lots of diary to help prevent this so am concerned removing diary could affect this - any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

(Donna ) #2

Cure constipation: Get a magnesium supplement. Take one capsule at bedtime. If you donā€™t go in the morning, take two the next night. Proceed in this way, adding a pill each night until you are going to the bathroom regularly in the morning. If you accidentally reach the ā€˜whoa, Nelly!!! stageā€™, back down one pill ā€“ and thatā€™s your dosage.
In this way, you have identified your personal dose of magnesium supplement to take every night before bed. Magnesium is GOOD for you, so you can feel good about it and you will always be regular.

(Tracy-lee fisher) #3

Thank you for your suggestion. I will get me some magnesium supplements today as I think I am fit to burst soon :slight_smile:

Tracy-lee, be sure to pick either magnesium malate, glycinate, or citrate (all are in a tablet form). Avoid mag oxide, the one most often sold in markets, as it will create the exact opposite problem on a daily basis. The three aforementioned ones are available on amazon. :slight_smile: Up to 400mg per day will fix you up. Also consider adding extra sodium (table salt will do) and potassium (via the ā€œNo Saltā€ product) to your daily regimen.

(Donna ) #5

Yes, good advice by @April

My perfect personal nightly dose is 160 mg magnesium malate.

(Tracy-lee fisher) #6

thank you

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

You can also get magnisium citrate in liquid form, most drug stores and grocerys as well. Calcium citrate is something to look into as well. Calcium from dairy products are hard for use to break down and use, calcium citrate is much more bioavailable and it gets where it needs to go, your bones and teeth much more effectively than cheese and other milk products. It also helps with muscle cramping if that is an issue for you.

I need to take a lot of magniusm, I am closer to 600mg per day than the 400mg usually recommended, you have to try it and see where your body is happiest.

(Madge Boldt) #8

As far as the fear of osteoporosis, from my understanding calcium supplements and dairy are really not helpful. A naturopath that I trust recommends a supplement from Jarrow called Bone-Up. That and magnesium should both help.

Here was another post in this forum about calcium supplementation: Calcium Supplements

I hope that link worksā€¦ Iā€™m also pretty new here :grinning:

Have to addā€¦ You can still eat dairy on keto. Full fat ricotta and yogurt in small quantities, cheeeeeese! Cream! Yum yum :cheese:

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #9

Excellent advice, Donna!

:+1::laughing:

(Steve Stephenson) #10

Just ordered some from Amazon; thanks.

Hmm. Just threw my Bone-up away because Iā€™ve heard so many warnings about calcium supplements being deposited in soft tissue, brain, heart. Iā€™m focusing more on D3+K2ā€¦

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Revisiting this, after some research I am now taking D3 + K2, which helps the calcium go where it is needed not in your arteries.

(Amy) #13

My favorite bone supplement is MRMā€™s BONE MAXIMIZER 111. Contains D3, K1, K2, calcium, mag, phosphorous, trace minerals, etc.

Magnesium wasnā€™t fixing the constipation for me, so I us Psyllium husk capsules occasionally. I just need the bulk.

I like the Mary Ruth Organics version which has D3 from lichen and K2 from natto.

L-glutamine: another possibility for your intestinal issues.

(Lisa ) #16

Re osteoporosis: weight training is fantastic for improving bone density. Source: am doctor.