Optimal fat percentage in ground beef, 30%?

(charlie3) #1

I asked my butcher if he could make me a couple of pounds of ground chuck with 30% fat. He said no problem. I left the store with that and will find out tomorrow whether it’s enjoyable to eat. But that begs the question, is it wise to go to 30% fat. Anyone have an opinion more informed than mine?

(Allie) #2

Apparently ribeye is 70% fat and 30% protein so I don’t see why 30% fat in ground beef would be an issue.

(Bob M) #3

US Wellness sells a 55% lean (45% fat) version:

https://grasslandbeef.com/beef-ground-1-lb-55-lean-keto-ketogenic-diet

I’ve never tried this.

I think the answer to your question depends on what you’re using the beef for. I often drain 20% beef if I’m using it for chili or other recipes where floating fat doesn’t fit. Even if I eat straight ground beef, I’ve been draining it, as too much fat is hard to eat for me (the fat doesn’t get back into the meat and often stays solid if I reheat in the microwave). It might not be bad in a burger, if you could retain the fat in the burger.

(Doug) #4

For hamburgers, I’ve tried 70/30, 73/27 and 80/20. They all were good, and even the 80/20 was really juicy. This was nothing fancy, no additions at all to the meat, just grabbed a handful and made patties. Fried one side and then the other. Took care never to press down on the meat in the frying pan. Salt and mustard once they were done.

I understand the wish for a higher fat content, but the 80/20 really surprised me - could not wish for a better burger.

(Bob M) #5

I note, too, that I’ve had different “20%” varieties, and they’ve had vastly different fat levels. I had one from Costco that I threw away because I was going to eat it for lunch, but without draining it, it was literally swimming in fat. I also got some grass-fed 20% from the local place and I rarely drain that (depending on what I’m doing with it), as it has a very low level of fat.

(Todd Allen) #6

The optimal fat % depends on what you want to do with it. For burgers I prefer leaner ground beef such as 85/15 unless I want the rendered fat for cooking up a side dish such as greens.

I buy grassfed 55/45 ground beef and use it for stews, soups and dishes where I can turn the rendered fat into rich sauces. I’ve also been mixing it with a couple lbs of lean meats & liver and spices, pressing it out in a large baking dish and baking it at 170F (lowest my oven does) for several hours to make sausage.

https://www.wallacefarms.com/product/keto-burger-55-45-1lbs/

They offer free delivery to pick up sites in many cities in Iowa and northern Illinois and you can get 20% off your first order using my coupon code toddallen20.

(less is more, more or less) #7

Aldi sells 73/27 ground beef, which a) is cheaper and b) I love. It’s very juicy, of course, now that you understand what that juice is. I make sure I consume every juicy morsel, too. Hell, I’d go 50/50, if I could find any.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I kind of prefer 80/20 to 70/30, simply because the burgers don’t shrink quite as much. As far as the fat goes, I suppose 70/30 is better, since you know I’m going to be drinking the liquid fat off the plate, or scraping it up with my fork once it solidifies, lol!

Question: in these percentages, such as 80% lean, 20% fat, how much of the 80% is protein, and how much is water? Does anyone know? I’m curious, because I can’t get Dr. Naiman’s protein-leveraging hypothesis (well, he didn’t come up with it, but he promotes it) out of my head and wonder what proportion of fat to lean would give an equal amount of fat and protein by weight. . . .

(charlie3) #9

I’ll be making burger patties for now. May be I’ll find the burger can’t retain more than 20% fat? Reminder, I requested 30%, it was ground for me on the spot. So I’ve got a butcher who will cut to order. Now I need to figure out what to ask for.