Oops, slight mess up! What's best to do?

(Kate Godfrey) #1

Hi all! I’m new to keto, though have done lchf in the past. That steady relationship was knocked off course with a passionate, exciting but ultimately doomed affair with …low fat veganism. I know, I know, should have listened to my mother…
Well I’m back (hangs head in shame). Two weeks in and all’s well, cravings down, couple of pounds gone, tummy doesn’t look 8 months pregnant, energy levels rising, hormones calming (55yo f) you know the drill. Imagine I’ve been in at least mild ketosis, but not tested.
Last night I went for supper at a friend’s and whilst it wasn’t bad, it wasn’t of course perfect. Ate a small portion of (sugar free) dessert which I didn’t even want, but she’d gone to trouble ya de ya…and as there were only two guests I felt a little cornered!
This morning? Full tummy bloat, raging carb cravings, fog brain, yuk!
What do you do in this circumstance? I put coco oil in my black coffee (don’t usually), even ate a slice of butter (I’m STARVING!!) And lots of water. Anything else?
I’m not looking for advice to manage cheats, to be clear, just tips to deal with life! TIA x

(Sonia A.) #2

When it happens to me, I increase my fat intake until I’m not hungry anymore. I also drink a lot of water. Sometimes, if the cravings are too strong, I fast for 1 to 3 days and it helps tremendously. But I think you have it under control, you’re doing fine. Don’t worry, it’ll pass.

(Siobhan) #3

Sounds like you’re already doing just fine. Increase fat, water, and perhaps salt until the cravings go away.
Life happens, and the best thing to do is just Keep Calm and Keto On. :slight_smile:

(Heather S. Hurt ) #4

I always try to make extra efforts to have Keto snacks. Eventually you will get somewhat full. Lots of macadamia nuts, BPC, pork rinds to snack on, dill pickles for bitterness, make some cheese crisps. I consider it my feasting period. Then in a couple of days after feeling somewhat better again, I’ll do a 24 hr fast. Alternate day fasting always is easiest for me, one day on, one day off. I really hope you feel better soon. The self defeat is always the biggest struggle for me. Letting myself down is more of the mental block than simply getting back on the wagon. Not a failure, simply a stumble!!!

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #5

Bacon and eggs!

(Jules Swart) #6

No guilt! Along with 120 grams of carbs per meal, the sad diet also feeds us tons of guilt about eating “wrong”. Just move on…and have some bacon!