One to avoid

(Dan Dan) #19

Its used to get a healthy omega 3 to omega 6 balance :wink:

(mags) #20

Hi Heidi
This is a bit late but I’ve tried your mayonnaise recipe and it worked so well and was very easy. Used avocado oil and light olive oil. Lovely thank you. I shan’t buy mayo again :grinning:

(Allan L) #21

Ditto. Got an upset tummy then checked the label and spotted all the additives, will never do that again, learn the hard way.

But is this mayo tasty to use? Compared to all those commercial mayo… =.=

(mags) #23

Yes. It’s very creamy. Next time I will change the vinegar tho. Apple cider vinegar is very sharp. Will try lemon juice or mix with maybe white wine vinegar. I used mainly light olive oil and a smaller part of avocado but that does give it a slight green tinge. I’m also going to mix it with other flavours, blue cheese, garlic etc.

(Jawshoewah) #24

Im a newbie to Keto but not eating healthy. What is the problem with using hellmans mayo? If I’m reading things correctly there is an issue with rapeseed oil? What is the issue with eating rapeseed oil?

(Sybella) #25

Your very welcome. Im glad you found that the recipe worked for you. I will have a go with using the avocado oil as I haven’t tried that yet.

(Chris) #26

Most seed oils are high in Omega 6 and 9, neither of which you need or want. Poilyunsatureated oils are unstable (something to do with the missing hydrogen atoms in the bonds increasing the risk of oxidation, not a chemistry expert). So while fresh cold pressed canola (rapeseed?) oil may be safe, what is on your grocer’s shelf not so much, it has oxidized. Finally, anything in a commercial product has been extracted using all sorts of chemicals you do not want in your food. However, as mentioned above, even the ones cold pressed 6 months ago are not stable. In the US, corn and soybeans are heavy GMOs and are in everything. I think canola may be as well

Even friends who have no interest in keto I encourage to only use Avocado and Coconut (high heat), light olive oil for moderate heat, Extra Virgin Olive Oil for light sauteeing and salads

(Dan Dan) #28

Because someone will demand ‘show me the science’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

" it is not clear whether the use of vegetables oils for cooking increases the risk of chronic diseases."
" the myth that frying foods is generally associated with a higher risk of CVD is not supported by the available evidence "

If you can afford it Virgin Olive oil is most likely the best :thinking:

"Some consumers that prefer the bland taste of vegetable oils do not like the stronger flavor of olive oil, so they will not cook with it. But a test done at America’s Test Kitchen found that extra virgin olive oil that had been heated at 350°F (177°C) for ten minutes was virtually indistinguishable from heated soybean oil. All the volatile grassy flavors of extra virgin olive oil had been driven off. So food can be sautéed with olive oil and not taste like olive oil. "

So now you can make mayo with olive oil and not get the strong taste :smiley:

(Doug) #29

I LOVE good oilve oil, and of course in this day and age there is a bunch of BS going on with the claims of many manufacturers and marketers… Was reading about this book recently:

Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, by Tom Mueller.

At the very least, let the buyer beware.

(mags) #30

I’d be glad to hear about your experiments

Does this go for the seeds themselves as well? I’m assuming that seeds in general are ok to eat within a Keto diet. Flax, linseed, sunflower seeds etc. Should any of these be avoided?

I am not sure of the carb content but sunflower should be fine. I do not know enough about linseed to comment. As for Flax because of the estrogen it is hugely controversial with some people saying because of its good Omega 3 profile it is great both as an oil and a seed, some people saying it is very unstable, must be kept cool and is an estrogen mimicer so should be avoided. I have it every once in a while if a recipe suggests it. I do refridgerate or freeze my seeds. It is recommended to grind your own but I do not have a grinder.
I try to only eat non GMO corn and soy as that those along with sugar beets contain the most GMO (I do buy cane sugar rather than packages simply marked sugar for that reason when shopping for my family who are not keto) . I do eat walnuts but I will not use the oil because of its Omega 6 profile so that may indirectly answer the question

Note I am in the US so the comments regarding GMOs may not be relevant to someone in the UK

Here is a basic and interesting article on Canola that was posted on here by @mtncntrykid

(Wendy) #33

I don’t know if this was answered yet but we want to avoid “vegetable” oils like corn, canola, soy, and other seed oils. They are inflammatory and too high in omega 6.
Most grocery bought mayos are made with these oils.

Okay, I understand that. But, what if my goal is just to achieve fat-loss by getting into ketosis and not to achieve maximum health?

I know I am twisted for having this kind of mindset. I am just curious.

(Dan Dan) #35

Not all ‘vegetable/Seed’ oils are high in omega 6 for example canola/Rapeseed oil has high omega 3 and considered one of the best omega 6 to omega 3 ratios and high temp stable but some object because in the US/Canada it is considered highly processed and many are anti-GMO.

Just a side note cooking at high temp which is known to cause inflammation and other health risks (frying, charbroiling, grilling, blackened, seared, caramelizing, meat well done) :thinking:

Common Sense and a Proper Perspective should be used before avoiding anything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Wendy) #36

Well I do not have any unprocessed seed type oils so I will continue to use coconut oil, olive, and animal fats.

(Norma Laming) #37

Yes that stuff is an abomination

(JM) #38

OMG I have this in my fridge right now! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: