One month update and something a little embarrassing

(BT3100) #1

A little history. I’m a 45 Y/O male who was around 242 lbs on January 1st 2020. I was planning to begin a keto lifestyle in the new year and began on 1/2. During my 20’s I lost over 50lbs on ditry Atkins and when my son was born 12 years ago I weighed 176lbs. Typical SAD while adding beer more and more over the last 10 years. Fell in love with IPAs. Always layered weight on my back and legs. But over the last 2-3 years it began to increase in the abdominal area. Two years ago I watched Dr. Lustig’s sugar videos on YouTube and started what I now know was bad dirty and not real Keto diet. I was never a sugar or sweets guy but the IPAs were just as bad. Anyway I started the diet 2 years ago and never had success. I obsessed over the scale and when it didn’t move day after day I got frustrated and quit. Over the last 26 days something big has changed and I wanted to share what I learned.
This time I was committed to learn how Keto works so I dug into the science in mid December to prepare for January. I learned that during my last attempt I did not hit my fat macros at all. I also used too much Spenda (I would have 5 packets in the morning with coffee and 5 more in the afternoon with coffee!, Not to mention my Diet Coke). So I prepared for January by setting up my meals and getting rid of all booze (don’t worry, no Alcohol was destroyed I consumed it all responsibly :slight_smile:
I started the Keto WOE and within a 4 days I was turning my sticks purple. Felt okay but wanted to experiment to see if Splenda would kick me out of Ketosis. Put 4 packets in my morning coffee and by the evening I was out of ketosis. Wow I would have never imagined that a few carbs would do that. What I learned is that the insulin spike is big with Spenda (at least in my body). So I completely cut out all artificial sweeteners and now drink bullet proof coffee and after a few days of slight headaches (detoxing from the artificial sweeteners) I felt so much better. I cut out all booze and surprisingly I don’t miss it. I refuse to weigh myself as in the past the scale would frustrate me and I would quit. The good news is that today 26 days in I feel like a whole new person. Yesterday for the first time in over 20 years I felt like exercising. That’s unreal. I don’t even remember the last time I pushed myself to workout. I always viewed it as a chore.
This morning I attempted to put on my size 42 pants (Was 44 on 1/1/20) but they didn’t fit. I went into the closet in the very back and found a size 40 from years ago (pleated pants if that gives ya a visual) and they were a little tight but fit! Wow. Also my thighs no longer rub together when I walk.
And now the embarrassing part. About 6 months ago I began to experience pain down below. I never had hemorrhoids before and was freaked out. After research online I realized it was part of obesity and was caused by inflammation. I used the creams and medication and have been living with it for months. Horrible. Well in the last 3 weeks they have gone away! I can’t believe it. Final note has been my blood pressure which was sky high. I have this cheap wrist tech meter that I used every day and log my results. Day one my BP was 141 over 96. Had been in that range for a few months but I was reluctant to get to a doctor as I don’t want to go on meds. I check my BP every morning at 9AM. Today it was 108/67. I am in utter shock and disbelief. It has been going down each day but I am so happy about the progress. Not sure of my weight but I feel great!
KCKO

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Happy Dance on the BP. Awesome. Mine is resistant to lowering. Today is 588 days into strict keto and I was told to stop taking one med 100% today. Yea!

Great progress. Keep going.

(Bob M) #3

That’s great news for both of you!

I also had hemorrhoids a few years ago, some few years into keto. I think it was going back to eating a lot of fiber (resistant starch, etc.). I find low fiber to be better for me. Since eating less fiber, I have not had hemorrhoids.

Alcohol might be one of the worst things to keep the blood pressure high. The healthy diet and especially cutting out the booze seems to have helped. I’ve got the diet part, but the stopping of the weekend booze has been slower.

(Susan) #5

Welcome to the forum, BT! Congrats on your progress so far and I wish you success in the rest of your journey, keep up the good work!

(Rebecca ) #6

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your testimony!!

Keto is great but you have to do it right LOL
Congratulations and welcome!