One Month Guidance Appreciated

Today is officially one month on Keto and I would love some people to weigh (pardon the pun) in on what I am doing. Just want a gut check as I continue and see if I need to adjust anything.

I have lost about 9lbs, but the scale has not budged in 3 weeks. Somewhat disappointed, but I have read what everyone says so being patient and ketoing on. I do have some NSV lost about 2 1/2 inches around the hips and inch around the waist. I am used to a LCLF/CICO diet where I consistently lost 1-2lbs a week. I have always and continue to exercise - 2 days 30-40 min spinning and 2 days strength training. I am 47F, SW 201.6, CW 193, GW 140-150, Height 5’6”. Not on any medication, no pre-existing conditions (though have a dr appt in a few weeks :grimacing:)

Attached is my target macros, tracking everything on MFP and on average I am getting 80-90g of protein, 70-90g of fat and I am always below 20g net carbs. Drinking up to or more of 125oz water. Averaging anywhere between 1,100 and 1,400 calories. Not sleeping the greatest, but never had keto flu, have lost my appetite and started IF 16:8 sometimes b/c I’m just not that hungry which means lower calories (can’t eat that much in those 8 hours). I’m a bit of a creature of habit when I eat. Maybe I’m fat adapted?

Breakfast
2 eggs
1/2 tsp avocado oil
1/2 avocado
2 pieces bacon (sometimes)
1-2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (it has potato starch so thinking of shredding my own)
Coffee with 1tbsp heavy cream

Lunch
Typically a salad 2 cups letttuce, cucumber, 3-4 ounces protein (chicken, turkey or tuna mixed with 1/2 avocado), full fat dressing (it might have hidden sugars, it’s from Europe but carbs still low). I’m on the fence about tossing it, I love it.

Dinner
1-2 cups spinach, broccoli or other LC Veggie in 1tbsp olive oil with garlic
4-5 ounces protein cooked in 1tbsp olive oil (salmon in olive oil, turkey, chicken, lamb chop, etc)

No snacking, have zero desire. There you have it. Love any advice as I am satiated, but maybe I need to tweak something or just wait for the scale to catch up with my body or maybe my body is still figuring it all out.

Thank you!

(Charlotte) #2

Since you are working out, I would try to eat more calories. You’re probably not getting enough calories so your body is hanging on to everything. Also… you’re working out… you could be building muscle offsetting any weight loss you’d see on the scale. I don’t see anything super wrong with what your eating that you haven’t already pointed out, but someone else might see something I’m not. Are your clothes fitting better? How do you feel overall?

@Luckymisslucy Thanks. Aside from not sleeping well, I feel just as good as I did before I started Keto. My pants are looser and I had to start using a belt. I’m trying to find the optimal calorie intake for loss, in the sense of making sure I am eating enough. I had a very similar workout routine before I started keto, so it would surprise me if muscle was the reason. I don’t believe I have become more tone than I was before, but I can’t ignore the inches, inspite of the scale.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The question is, is it more important to be losing fat or to be losing weight? You could easily lose quite a bit of weight by cutting off a foot, for example, since bone and muscle weigh quite a bit.

Let me propose that what you really want is to lose fat, and that what your scale is doing is irrelevant. Suppose your bones are now denser than they were—that extra weight could easily offset the weight lost from fat, no? Would denser bones therefore be a bad thing? Is a lower number on the scale worth brittler bones?

A lower scale number might truly be so important to you that it is worth paying for in reduced health, but I suspect that if you ponder these questions, you might end up revising your views. :bacon:

(Charlotte) #5

Since your pants are looser that means you’re losing fat which is what keto does. You’re doing good. Just try to hang in there.

Thanks @Luckymisslucy and @PaulL.

(Carl Keller) #7

I’ve noticed here in the forum that quite a few people didn’t see much weight loss in their first month or even month and a half. It takes some people longer than others to sort out metabolic damage and to make their body comfortable enough to let go of fat that your scale will recognize. Just realize that if you are not losing weight and doing everything right, then you are certainly healing and that’s a good thing, perhaps even on a much greater scale (pun intended).

Stress and not sleeping well can prevent weight loss. They can lead to elevated cortisol and insulin levels and these are two hormones we want to be as inactive as possible.

(Mel Simpson) #8

Maybe try eating only two meals a day instead of 3 but the same calories or little bit more if you need to. Only eat when you’re hungry