One meal a day psychologically helps me control my snack cravings

intermittentfasting
omad

(Allan L) #1

During December I stopped following such a strict way of eating. In other words I added in lots of Keto snacks and didn’t fast much at all. Between Christmas and NY day I ate what ever I wanted (As long as it was Keto food) and yes, I put on weight.

Everyone says “calories don’t matter” but for me personally, they do. If I overeat Keto food I will put on weight even though my carbs remain below 20g and my protein is within limits, but max of limits. I still loosely tried to track my food and the average calorie count was 2,500 - 3,500 (lots of whipping cream snacks etc)

So for January I decided to have 1 month where I went back to basics with my keto way of life:

• No alcohol
  • Max 1400 calories
  • Incidental carbs only (No veg, no carb food, only incidental carbs found in meat, dairy, fat etc)
  • Eat one meal a day (23hr fasting window)

And other than a weight / size decrease, I’ve discovered the following benefits:

• Eating OMAD (one meal a day) has psychologically helped me control my snack cravings. Its simple, I’m allowed to eat once, no BPC, nuts, cheese snacks etc during the day. Its an amazing mental shift that I think I will continue with. I don’t crave snack foods at all.
  • Removing non-incidental carbs has reduced my hunger levels. I mean foods like Avo, Spinach, Cauliflower etc. Since I have dropped cabs to almost zero my hunger levels have also dropped.
  • Red meat is much more satiating than other forms of protein. If my one and only meal has a large rib eye or home made burgers etc I am more full for much longer.

I have concerns about micro-nutrients and eating such low carb for an extended period of time but considering the benefits to date I can’t see me rushing to change things.

(Liz ) #2

Fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

If you can add things like liver you should be getting all your nutrients just fine, from what I understand. Whole Foods has a liverwurst I just love from Wellshire Farms, I think, very clean. I just eat it as a slice, but I know it’s an acquired taste :smile:

(Allan L) #3

Thanks Liz, and love liver! Make an amazing creamy chicken livers and try eat once or twice a week. Have been favouring beef products the last week though due to satiating effects of beef.

(Liz ) #4

Right on! So how many calories do you think you are eating now? Because I think calories matter to me too. Are you still drinking coffee just black?

(Allan L) #5

1,400 calories per day orally and I’m very full, if my metabolism needs more it can get it from my fat stores. I’ve also tried to reduce my coffee consumption so moved to green tea, but occasionally I want a boost before a meeting at work then I drink it black.

(Jeff Davis) #6

Allan, I’m interested in how this experiment goes for you as well. I put on a little bit of weight over the holidays as well, but even prior to that I have been stalled for about six months. I’m trying

• No alcohol (well, mostly. I’ll relax this rule just a tad on weekends)
  • At least two (and hopefully three) 40-44 hour periods of fasting per week: fast from dinner on Day 1 until lunch on Day 3.
  • One or two meals on feasting days.
  • No snacking.
  • Extremely limited incidental carbs.

If I don’t get some results from doing this, I may try your protocol. I’m down to about my last 15 pounds to lose, but they are stubborn ones.

(Allan L) #7

@onlyjeffdavis, We’re in exactly the same position re Christmas weight and last few pounds to lose. I’m also about 15 pounds remaining and they are stuck for around 3 months now!! :slight_smile:

Will keep you updated on progress.

This approach has worked for me in the past. I’ve become a bit “too lazy” and there is creep of all types coming in. Keeping it simple has worked for me in the past. I am trying to find a way to get back to the KISS principle for the weight loss phase.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #9

I had a fairly similar experience in terms of controlling snack cravings by switching to a one meal a day regimen. If I’m not eating, I don’t want to eat. If I’m eating, I want to eat.

Some people are just wired that way.

(Erin Macfarland ) #10

Why are you keeping calories so low or tracking them at all?

(Bella) #11

Hi Allan,
I have been craving liver since starting keto and I haven’t eaten it for over 20 years.
I know its been a while since your post but do you have the recipe as I have had a few failures with pinterest recently
:unamused: