OMG! Fried Brussels Sprouts, done Buffalo style!

fryingbrussels

(anneedens) #1

Finally put oil in my deep fryer and fried up some fresh Brussels Sprouts. Oil temp was 400F, Brussels were cleaned and cut in half, gently lowered into the hot fat. Fry until you get some browning on the leaves (I actually overcooked my, but they were good.) Drain on paper toweling, then toss in equal amounts of butter and Wing Sauce (melt together) and top with crumbled blue cheese. A local restaurant makes something very similar, now I can make it at home!

Frustrated with vegetables

This sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing I can’t wait to try it!

(cqtcmg) #3

This sounds tasty! I never really liked Brussels sprouts–until recently. I started to roast them in the oven with just salt and pepper. Oh my goodness! So tasty. I love the caramelization that happens! Same thing with green beans–they taste similar to French fries.

(Dean) #4

great idea, I’ve never liked brussel sprouts when i was a kid but now they are pretty tasty with lots a butter

(anneedens) #5

Fried up some more spouts tonight. Tossed them in some Ken’s Greek Salad Dressing. Again, OMG GOOD! This time I did not overcook them. Definitely like this deep frying thing.

(softail925) #6

Richard on this week’s podcast had a couple of good pointers - cut off the small base tip of the brussel sprout as it gets really tough, and the score the top of the brussel sprout so it’ll thoroughly fry up.

(Tovan Nhsh) #7

Made this tonight & it absolutely rocked! Anyone with a fryer- give it a shot, it’s well worth it :slight_smile:

(Rob) #8

Lots of great recipes I am going to try but my QUICK go to is to was, halve them, trim stalks and then nuke (microwave) 6oz of them for 4 minutes in an inch or so of water and then drain, shake them dry a bit and transfer to an already hot skillet/pan with a couple of tbls of bacon nectar which will caramelize them quickly. Season in the pan with kosher salt (large flakes) and pepper. As the outer leaves blacken, whip them out and they will be crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. Lovely and takes only 7-8 minutes start to finish.

Definitely going to try the buffalo sauce idea though.

I steamed some Brussels sprouts tonight then cut them in half and tossed them in the cast iron pan with some breakfast sausage. Cooked in lard. I found some that wasn’t hydrogenated (finally). I should’ve bought a case of the stuff in case they ever quit selling it.
Fried Brussels sprouts are awesome.