Frustrated with vegetables

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #18

Pretty sure liver is a vegetable.

(Darlene Horsley) #19

I’m sort of feeling the same way about cauliflower and broccoli.

(James Willis) #20

thanks everyone for the responses. Not sure about being “zero carb” lol- do want to include as many veggies as I can and still be keto- but it’s worth a look for the recipes and general information

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

You people have got to stop doing this to me. Coffee is not good for keyboards! :grin:

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

These might float your boat? Found them at my Costco today, they are awesome.

(Rob) #23

There’s a great Brussels sprouts thread in vegetables area with some good ideas. Sprouts are OK from a net carb POV though not much help if you are doing total carbs <20g

There are more ideas down the thread.

(Madge Boldt) #24

Those sound great. And what about plain old ordinary kosher dill pickles? Those are just cucumbers. Pretty low in carb and you’ll get your salt in.

(Ross Daniel) #25

I know what you mean, but also keep in mind that one or two meals per day and no snacks should be very achievable on a LCHF diet. If you eat a 10g meal 3 times a day plus snacks, it will certainly add up.

(Edith) #26

I just went to Costco this evening. I wish I’d seen your post before I went. Oh well… next trip. :grinning:

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

Yeah, pickles, olives, and sauerkraut are all excellent choices. Love the brines when fasting.

(Richard Hanson) #28

If you don’t like it don’t eat it. Keto is not a punishment.

There are many items I no longer eat that I greatly enjoyed. I try very hard to focus on those foods that I love to eat, those that I can still eat, and just ignore those that I can’t. I am certainly not ever going to eat any foods that I don’t like as that only makes keto a bit more difficult rather than a culinary delight.

I do eat vegtables, those I like, in moderation and well within my carb count.

At least some of the Inuit peoples would only eat plant based foods as a last resort when starving. The attitude was that vegetables and fruits where not proper food fit for human consumption. They did, however, eat organ meet and other nutrient dense parts of animals that might offend the sensitive sensibilities of those long accustomed to the SAD.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Richard

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #29

I love this! Thanks, @FatMan! Would make a nice graphic tee!

Are you doing total carbs or net? With veggies I do net. I’ve been making a smoothie in the Vita-mix with spring mix, a couple baby carrots, 1 stalk of celery, a small handful of mixed berries (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry) a couple of strawberries, a splash of vanilla and a couple of squirts of Stevia. There are some carbs in this, but it does not throw me out of ketosis and I feel like I’m covering a lot of the different colors of fruits and veggies.

(Stephanie Sablich) #31

I eat SO many dill pickles. In a related note, I’ve stopped dating or talking to anyone within a few feet of me :wink:

(James Willis) #32

I’m doing net. The literature is clear that fiber doesn’t count (or at least not insoluble fiber- I’ve seen some conflicting information on soluble fiber–different topic for a different time, though)
That smoothie sounds like a dream right now! One of my “uncheats” (which I call that because it feels like it would be a cheat but I’m staying under my daily 20g) is blueberries- I’ll mix 1/4 cup of them–3 net carbs–in with cream cheese or something like that. Actually, one thing I did today was that, but also with unsweetened marscarpone melted in with the cream cheese to further increase the fat content, and a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder, with a touch of stevia. Kind of like a keto-friendly “chocolate cheesecake goop” for lack of a better description!

(James Willis) #33

and I won’t! I’m done being angry at vegetables.
As for organ meat- got no problem there. I love liver, and also chicken hearts. I have enjoyed Vietnamese pho soup with tripe as one of the meats many times. Also, IF done well, sweetbreads are amazing (that’s the cow’s thymus gland, I believe) Gotta count those protein grams, though!

(James Willis) #34

yeah you’re more or less confirming what I was thinking when going through some of these recipes–and a lot of them might be a bit more suited to people already in the keto state. The decreased hunger and cravings is what I am going for, possibly even more so than the goal of weight loss! So, I will get there in due time. I’ve only been doing keto for about a week, hence this thread being under “newbie questions”. thanks for the response

(Ross Daniel) #35

You’ll get there! And when you do, you’ll be amazed at how not hungry you are. Lol

I’m not a big fan of leafy greens either, nor of veggies in general. I was ZC from April to about a week ago. Now I’ll have an occasional peeled cucumber or some salsa. Veggies aren’t necessary for health but I do like the crunch of cucumbers and the flavor of salsa.

(Madge Boldt) #37

I make keto “goop” as well when I need something like that. Full fat ricotta cheese, cocoa powder and sweetener. Yum! Sounds great with mascarpone too.