Omad?

newbies

(Becky) #1

Quick question

I have been doing the OMAD technique but I am having issues getting all the calories, just out of curiosity how badly would I harm my progress if I did maybe breakfast and dinner? I’d have about a 12 hour gap between dinner and breakfast the next day, then about 10 or so between breakfast and dinner…ideas

(Susan) #2

I do TMAD for a 20:4 myself. I eat lunch at 1pm and then supper at 4:30 or so that I have no food from 5pm and 1pm the next day. This works well for me for getting in the all the calories in 2 meals and still gives me 20 hours of not eating a day =).

(Allie) #3

2mad works best for many people. I function best with breakfast early, something else around lunchtime, then nothing else until breakfast the next day.

(Joey) #4

The whole intermittent fasting thing is aimed at giving your body’s insulin cycle a chance to more fully recede. Constant eating is the worst for this prospect. And so, 2-meals-a-day is certainly preferable to 3-meals-a-day. Along these lines, the larger the fasting window within your day, the better yet.

So, as @Momof5 describes her own window as 20:4, that’s more helpful for insulin cycling lower again than, say, 12:12. But the key to maintaining any such schedule is how it best works into your lifestyle and daily commitments.

If you can skip breakfast and make lunch your first meal (along with dinner at the usual time), that would likely be preferable to a breakfast + dinner combination. But again, it’s got to work for your lifestyle (and daytime hunger sensations) for you to comfortably stick with it - which ought to weigh heavily in how you go about things.

(Becky) #5

I guess I’ll try the 20:4 thing, it shouldn’t be too bad, I think I can handle it…or at least give it the best I got!

(Becky) #6

Does the exact time frame make a difference? As in, what time I do my 4 hour eating window?

(Susan) #7

I do 1 pm and 4:30 pm because I want 20 hours a day not eating. You can choose whatever time suits you =).

(Becky) #8

So I would be ok between 2 and 5:30 correct

(Joey) #9

The “doing it” part matters more than the “time of day” part. So think about what’s most convenient for your daily schedule, tempered by what’s easiest for you to be comfortable with.

Having said that, if you’re going for as long as a 20/4 daily fast/eat cycle, then you’ll want the “20” part to fall during your sleeping hours :wink:

(Becky) #10

Perfect, thanks @SomeGuy!!

(Susan) #11

Yes, that is perfect =).

(Marianne) #12

Great idea; just go back to TMAD if you find you are uncomfortable. It will come in time.

(Becky) #13

@gingersmommy
Thank you for the positive support, but now I’m a little confused (doesn’t take much to confuse me :roll_eyes:)
Am I only supposed to eat one time during that four hour window? Or just eat whenever during it?
Sorry guys, I’m just so wanting to do this correctly…
@Momof5
Am I understanding you correctly that you eat two meals during this window?

(Susan) #14

TMAD so you eat lunch, then supper, no snacking inbetween.

(Becky) #15

Got it, thanks again! I’m really making this so much more difficult than it is!

(Susan) #16

The reason you have the two meals and not snack between has to do with spiking your insulin -I am not a scientist, so not sure of the details but that is what I was told, hehe.

(Marianne) #17

I eat OMAD, which is technically a 24-hour fast. There are days, however, when I find I come home from work or whatever, and I am hungry, so I eat something. Not necessarily a meal, but something to satisfy my need for fuel (pepperoni slices, cheese, hard boiled egg, couple slices of bacon, etc.). If eaten in a four- or six-hour window from dinner, that would be a 20:4 or 18:6 fasting schedule. You must find what you are comfortable with. That will change the longer you are on this, and fasting - if you want to do it - will come naturally because your body is getting sufficient energy from your fat stores and what you do eat.

(Marianne) #18

I think we all fight with this - it is so different than what we learned from conventional dieting. In many ways, it is counterintuitive.

(Becky) #19

@gingersmommy

Now I gotcha! So I will technically be TMAD with the hope I will eventually just need the OMAD!

I was doing OMAD but struggled with eating enough calories.

(Marianne) #20

Gurrlll, eat your calories! :grin: I don’t find that difficult - you can add “fat” to anything - bacon grease, butter, mayo, full fat dressing, cream cheese, pepperoni, eggs, etc… Get creative - we just throw stuff together for dinner and it always winds up delicious!