OMAD reducing metabolism?

fasting

(Thao Le) #21

@anon54735292 @mememe here’s my Dexa scan result after 2 months of OMAD 800 calories a day. @Brenda told me that she expected lean mass will be gone with fat b/c of 800 calories.

(Running from stupidity) #22

Yes, I think most of us would expect that.

And I’d say the assessment of “Not bad” for the weight needs to be read in conjunction with the loss of lean mass, meaning “not bad” might be a generous assessment. (Not that all lean mass loss is bad, of course, but that’s a fair bit, I think.)

Thanks for that data, most interesting.

Ok so, if I’m reading it right, the results are not bad with the exception of the lean body mass reduction. Which is higher than you would like.

So knowing this, was it worth it to you?

I wonder how that would compare with fasting instead of calorie reduction.

(KetoQ) #24

Hi –

I did OMAD for the first 6-7 weeks of low carb and lost 30+ lbs. I was averaging about 1750 calories a day on OMAD during that period.

Then I changed it up by eating when hungry, generally 2x day, and incorporating a mid week fast (48 hours), and lost another 25 over the next 4 months. Averaged a bit over 2,000 calories a day, including the fasting days, so I’m eating way more than 2,000/day on the days I do eat.

I think 600 calories a day is a bit low. But if you do it for a week no harm, especially if you let loose a bit over Thanksgiving. But if you like doing OMAD, I advise finding a way to get more calories.

Perhaps increase or get some physical activity to rev up your appetite for the purpose of keeping your metabolism up. I made a conscious decision to stop OMAD earlier in the year after I read about The Biggest Loser study because I worried I wasn’t eating enough. But now I’m doing OMAD again to Christmas. Because it is a change in my habits.

Also, based on my personal experience and from reading stories on this forum for almost six months, there can be a lot of benefit by changing up your eating – going from OMAD – to eating to satiety – to fasting – to egg and fat fasting – because your body is always seeking to adapt to what you’re doing, and by changing it up, you might be able to get better results, especially when it comes to weight loss.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

(Running from stupidity) #25

There is a fair bit of data around on that comparison in general population terms.

+1

(Thao Le) #26

Yes, I think it worth it, I like to reduce fat around my organ and like to see A1C below 5.0. I just need to lift hard in the gym and increase calories/ protein to rebuild lean muscle.

(Central Florida Bob ) #27

I just wanted to point out that I think most of the population would like to have that problem.

what was your eating macros like?

(Thao Le) #29

Average fat 60, protein 30, carbs 10. Towards the end my fat is higher around 75

Thanks for sharing @tle77070 & congratulations on the A1c & body/visceral fat reduction :slightly_smiling_face: But yeah, bummer about that lean body mass.

Sounds like a good idea. You may find this article interesting. Different situation to your own but it does show that lean body mass can be increased even at a fairly sizeable calorie deficit.

(Running from stupidity) #31

Hey look, it’s Stuart Phillips, Safi’s crush :slight_smile:

Or Guru if you want to insult me :grin:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #33

Fasting preserves muscle, even better, after a complete absence of food intake fast, there is a release of HGH to build muscle. I would never recommend a very low calorie diet because it does reduce muscle mass in this way. Different mechanisms are involved when doing a total fast. I expected her to lose lean mass.
https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-muscle-mass-fasting-part-14/

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #34

VERY RECENT blog post, 9 days ago:
https://idmprogram.com/does-fasting-burn-muscle/

Read the first one some time back, but have bookmarked the second link for a look later tonight. Thanks

(KCKO, KCFO) #36

Reading this I realized why my urea no. is so different now. Thanks, if I read this before it didn’t register at the time. It was the chart that really caught my attention, and bam, my brain made the connection. Keto clarity to the rescue again, I was in fasting mode when I read it.

(Thao Le) #37

Thanks for the quoted study.