OMAD and KETO

omad

(Dearan) #1

Hey Everyone,

I have been doing OMAD for almost two weeks now and am also attempting to do it Keto which is what I prefer. I restrict my feeding window to a literal one sitting meal as opposed to having a small eating time frame.

I was wondering what are some of the best meals to eat on a OMAD Keto. I do not really get hungry throughout the day but instead just find myself bored of what I have been making to eat.

(Robert C) #2

Welcome @Dearan
Bake 5 pieces of bacon - to medium - not too limp, not too crisp (10-12 minutes at 375).
Drain the bacon fat into a pot (that you have a lid for) and fry 3 scrambled eggs (add coconut oil if not enough bacon fat renders because you like limp bacon).
Cut up the bacon while stirring (scrambling/cooking) the eggs every minute or two.
Add the bacon and stir it in - also add 2 ounces of cream cheese and a quarter teaspoon (more or less to taste) of cayenne pepper.
Cover for 3 minutes (turn off the heat after 1 minute) so the cream cheese becomes almost a liquid.
Stir well and serve - top with a little sour cream or sprinkle cheese on top (or both).

Depends on your cultural preferences and what you have on hand - and how much you like cooking.

When I have an OMAD day (usually I do TMAD to keep my protein up as I do strength training) I eat a huge salad or servings of low carb veg that take up 2/3 of my plate and provide lots of alkalinizing antioxidants (the keto-green approach), plus aim for around 30-40g protein, cooked in good fat - with a side of extra crunchies like almond flour crackers or flax seed crackers. Sometimes that means a huge salmon/chicken/tuna salad bowl with lettuces & crackers - other times an Italian bowl with cheeses, salami or other meat, olives, artichokes, and some sundried tomato. Other times it might be leftover Indian restaurant Saag/Palak green mush with eggs and cottage cheese.

Figure the fatty protein serving you’re aiming for, then round it out from there. The classic LCHF book Protein Power has lots of helpful menu plans in general for that, though not OMAD oriented it’s quite informative.

The more you have on hand in your house, the easier it gets to combine for tasty OMADs without stress. Personally, I’ve always preferred to have at least a bit of color on my plate for VLC mostly meat meals - which means some sauteed long green onions, or a bit of fried tomato, and/or paprika sprinkles - variety is the spice of life as they say.

The classic LCHF/keto books have lots of great recipes to explore - The New Atkins DIet book by Westment/Phinney/Volek also emphasizes daily veg and has a great restaurant guide for doing keto with a variety of cultural cuisines - and also George Stella’s Quick & Easy Keto cookbook is great for ideas that are easy to make and gourmet-level taste.

I also like to work with canned organic black soybeans when I’m making a Latin American type of OMAD, they’re super low carb and are great fried and eaten with sour cream with other animal protein and veg and hot sacue/salsa to make a rather exciting platter of food including crispy heated kale wraps or flackers for added crunch.

It’s also good to either add a little chopped organ meats to your cooked proteins, or supplement with high quality beef liver capsules or B complex to round out the micronutrients.

(traci simpson) #4

OMG RobC - I’m eating that tomorrow!

(Marianne) #5

My husband and I have been eating OMAD for about 4-5 months. It is very sustainable. I don’t love to cook, so every night we just have a nice piece of meat, pan fried, and usually a steamed vegetable with butter and/or some cole slaw made with mayo and vinegar. Meat is usually some kind of steak or pork cut, which is our favorite. If the meat isn’t fatty enough, I’ll melt a Tbs. of bacon fat over each piece. Once in a while we’ll have chicken legs or thighs, although I don’t love the taste of chicken fat. Haven’t gotten tired of it after eight months and look forward to every night.