Old man just trying to keep breathing

(Jo) #41

Maybe, but many supermarkets sell bacon cutoffs that are very fatty and very cheap. If they’re not displayed ask the butcher department about them. THey may have other fatty discarded cuts of meat that they might sell for less money. Build up a relationship with those folks so that they think about you and your needs as they are cutting up the meat to package for sale.

(Ashley) #42

I just got a sams club membership, and I didn’t find any zero carb hot dogs :frowning: about a week ago a checked

(OldFatJoe) #43

LOL! Right now I’m eating a Morningstar Farms Chipotle black bean burger for dinner with two string cheese… Still have 6 burgers left in the package. I love these things. I’d eat every one of them tonight if my daughter wasn’t here to keep me from being stupid. Wish these things weren’t on the naughty list…

On the subject of mayo…what about Miracle Whip instead? I haven’t researched the difference yet but like they say “a sandwich isn’t a sandwich without the tangy zip of Miracle Whip”. I simply won’t eat regular mayo.

Joe

(OldFatJoe) #44

I’m in blazing hot Mesa, Arizona. Almost 6:00PM and it’s still 103 degrees on my patio!!!

Joe

(Candy Lind) #45

They might have been 1 carb each … I just know they weren’t 2! I can’t figure out why they think they have to put all that sugar in them. :rage:

(Ashley) #46

Yeah I ended up going with brats because they were 1-2 carbs on sale. I think the all beef ones are the best bet but I had thought national Hebrew were good until I read the packaging.

(OldFatJoe) #47

I’m finding you MUST, MUST, MUST read the nutrition info on the label. It has been a real eye opener for me lately. The only problem is that when you do that you find most of your favorites are not allowed. That’s OK though.I’ve been finding a lot of alternatives.

As an example: The price of liquid Stevia is just KILLING me right now and I refuse to buy any although my daughter probably will:rage:! We’re using Truvia and sucralose until it’s all gone. Most other kETO SAFE ITEMS as well are way overpriced. The best thing so far is education. I look even HARDER at the label now than I ever did before. The ONLY way to do this is with a focused eye budget in the very beginning.

Joe

(Ashley) #48

Joe, I don’t even use sweeteners, I cut all that out. I literally eat meats, cheeses, fats for cooking, eggs. If I want something a little sweet I will have some vanilla almond milk ( but it’s rare). It’s actually costing me less keto because I will cook in bulk. EXAMPLE: throw some eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, heavy whipping cream or things like that into a casserole dish (after browning the meat) cook it all up and I have 8 servings of food. Easy simple. I made chili with 3 pounds of chili, 1 pound of sausage, tomatoe purée, tomatoes(not much at all because of carbs) threw in 32 ounces of broth, spices like chili spice, cumin, salt, pepper, couple of others I can’t remember. Cooked it all in a slow cooker. Then when I want some I add couple spoons of sour cream, handful of cheese. And I’ve literally got about 12 meals to spilt between my dad and I. And altogether it probably cost me about $15 which is cheap. I say $15 but that’s because I had left over items which I’ll incorporate into something else. Also I used a cup of the hamburger meat fat in it to up the fats.

(Karen) #49

Interestingly the difference between miracle whip and mayo is a bit of vinegar and a bit of sugar. Add your fav. Sweetner instead to mayo and vinegar and you’ll have a similar taste.

K

(Candy Lind) #50

When you start using the pure powder or liquid sweeteners, you’ll be astounded at how long they will last. Yes, they are more than the :poop: with maltodextrin and other sugars, but they are so much stronger you use miniscule amounts. I got this tiny scooper when I bought stevia powder from “Mama Knows Best” on Amazon, and though I’m buying in larger bulk amounts now, I still use that tiny scoop.

What’s wrong with sucralose? Nothing, AFIC. Just use the pure stuff instead of the ones mixed with maltodextrin.

(Candy Lind) #51

PROPAGANDA to get you hooked to something that contains the “evil triumvirate” - salt, sugar, fat. The salt and fat are fine (the RIGHT kind of fat - not what’s in commercial mayo and dressings) but with sugar added it’s an addictive nightmare.

You will find that your tastes change when you get completely away from sugar. You won’t want it, then suddenly you’ll be able to taste its presence, and YOU WON’T LIKE IT. When you’ve been eating keto for six months, you won’t like MW any more, trust me.

I really look forward to saying “I told you so!” - evil, isn’t it? :smiling_imp:

(OldFatJoe) #52

We’re making yet more Keto progress. Baby steps if you will. This morning about 8:00 am my daughter made some eggs and great tasting Keto friendly pancakes from a recipe she found on Pinterest. It’s now 1:30 pm and I’m not even remotely hungry. Not interested in lunch. Not at all hungry. We’ll have dinner later but probably will be light. Even more weight loss for me! Gotta love it! :heart_eyes:

I’m a big fat pig. My daughter isn’t. However she IS concerned about my and my grandson’s health thank God! I know she will keep pushing with this until we’re both the picture of good health. :wink:

Today I completely dropped Crystal light and aspartame! Been drinking close to a gallon daily for no less than 15 years. :scream: I finally got some liquid Stevia this morning. Filled my normal Crystal Light 24 oz water bottle with filtered (Pur) water, lime juice and a quick squirt of liquid Stevia. This is an EASY replacement. Tastes great and I’m drinking twice as much. Here in Phoenix it’s tough to stay hydrated so this change has many positive added benefits for me.

Simply from paying even closer attention to ingredients and meal foods over the last twp weeks I’ve dropped 6 pounds! I’m not even remotely close to Ketosis yet but the minor changes we’ve made so far are 100% positive. Still have a bit of “bad” food to go through but my daughter is out getting fresh 100% Keto produce items right now. I did a grocery pickup at Walmart this morning for non-food and a few Keto friendly “dry” items.

We’re still hangin’ in there!

Again, many thanks to all here for all the positive support! It helps much more than you think.

Joe

(Ashley) #53

Keep at it joe your doing great! Kudos to your daughter for helping get you and your grandson on the right path. Make sure not to limit your grandsons protein though as he is probably still growing? Depending on his age.

(Jane) #54

I do believe you can heal a lot of your health issues with keto.

I will say you food bill will likely increase in the short term until you are fat-adapted and eating less… 6-8 week’s out.

You can certainly manage on cheaper meats like hamburger and fatty pork.

You will not regret this lifestyle choice if you stick to it for at least 3 months to get past the initial pain of switching to a fat-burner.

Get plenty of salt the first few weeks (forget everything you were told by the so-called experts about animal fats and salt) and come here for support and questions.

Good luck!

(Jane) #55

Oh and we always take a peek into the quick sale meat bin at Kroger where they mark down the cuts they need to move out quickly. Found some great deals there.

(Consensus is Politics) #56

Wow, sir, so many replies already. I’ll most likely repeat many of them here, but I’d rather reply to you instead of reading what everyone else had to say. No doubt a ton of good info. But don’t forget, if you doubt it, say something about it. Ask questions. Be sure you know why something is. My number one rule of life, Question everything. Especially those in authority.

Now that I have that off my chest :cowboy_hat_face:

Good choice to go keto. And to answer you budget question. Next to growing your own food, it’s got to be the cheapest way to eat. For starters, you will be eating mostly non prepared or boxed foods. As those are mostly carbohydrates. Take it from me, the best way to go is cold turkey on the carbs. You want to get your body into ketosis as soon as possible. Eating any amount of carbs are going to slow that down, albeit a small percentage. But I’m just guessing there. Guesstimates are something I’m pretty good at, it’s one of my “super powers” you might say.

For example, I just bought a package of chicken thighs. 12 thighs, for about $7. Not bad, seeing as that will make three days meals for me. And I’m down to one meal a day, AND NEVER HUNGRY :sunglasses:

As for health reasons. Wow. Again, in my opinion, the best choice possible. Keto cured my type 2 diabetes. Hearing how your short walk wore you out, I can relate. Just last summer before I was diagnosed with T2DM, just going upstairs in the house winded me. Even the trip back down. I had to stop and take breather. I’m 5’10”, and at the time was 245 pounds. Six months later I’m 56 pounds lighter. I lost 40 pounds of that in my first two weeks of going zero carb. And I keep feeling better every day. My health has improved a lot. I’d also recommend supplementing your vitamin D3 (D3, that “3” is the important part there, it’s the hormone your body is drastically short of, unless of course you sunbathe in the nude from 11:00 to 1:00, which, I just find life just gets in the way of those pleasantries :cowboy_hat_face:. And do a little research to see what else you might need to supplement. I’ve just added biotin to my supps. My finger nails have gotten very brittle. So I did some research and found biotin should be the answer to that. No doubt there are some here (looking at @atomicspacebunny) that can give you in depth reasons for almost anything. I’m in awe of her knowledge, or even her “google-fu”. When she adds to a topic, she always has my full attention.

Now, to really get into this, to get a good understanding, go listen to the Two Keto Dudes podcasts. Start with the first episode and work your way up. It’s a fantastic resource. You might find yourself relistening to them as well. Some of them I’ve listened to three or four times. I get new insights from them as well as new ideas and more questions “what if…”

And of course, in my humble opinion, you have found the single most valuable resource, this site, with thousands of folks just like us. Don’t hesitate to ask. Thats what this forum is all about :grin:

(Hoteski) #57

Pls keep updating. It’s nice to follow your journey as I go through mine.

(Candy Lind) #58

And from there, it only gets easier!

What kind of stuff do you have left? Maybe we can advise you on how to use it up without holding up your getting in to ketosis. At the very least, you can just use much smaller servings, eating with plenty of fat to slow their absorption.

NOT. You are on your way to a healthier life. Accompany that with a new resolution to think positive thoughts about EVERYTHING. OH! You might not want to right now, but TAKE PICTURES. You’re going to want everyone to see your progress when you post before & after pictures.

(Raj Seth) #59

Miracle whip is sweet

(Wendy) #60

Miracle Whip has sugar. Have you tried homemade mayo? I hear it’s really good. I haven’t tried it yet myself