Old man just trying to keep breathing

(Karen) #21

Oh I how I wish I could get my mom to go Keto. Too late for dad.

K

(Raj Seth) #22

am I missing something here - hot dogs - read the labels and buy the one without sheet and sugar - lowest carb content. Cheap and Delish. I have a 4 lb pack of Thumanns frozen in packs of 8.
Beef and Pork fat from the butcher is free or cheap. buy some, chop it up, put it in a crock pot on high within 24 hours, fabulous tallow or lard - use for cooking.

(OldFatJoe) #23

WOW!!! Thanks for that warm welcome everyone! Looks like a bunch of great people here to help us on our journey to good health. Much appreciated!

We’re just starting out right now. Mostly investigation to lessen a lot of the confusion from what we’ve been told for years was supposedly eating right. I’m amazed at what I CAN eat now. I love eggs, cheese, bacon etc. and I can eat them without guilt now. Not having bread will be hard at first but we’ve found some nice Keto bread recipes. In fact my daughter just bought the recipe books from Ketoa_ademy.com. This is not a plug for that website and we have no affiliation whatsoever. I’ve been looking at a lot of the recipes there and what I’ve found online at other sites. I can do this Keto thing standing on my head! So many things I’ll miss but so many new things that I think will become my new favorites.

I don’t drink soda. I don’t eat fast food. I don’t use sugar in anything. I actually look at the calories and ingredients on every food item I buy. In looking at the Keto diet I now know why I haven’t been losing weight even though I’ve been following the “traditional” way of thinking.

My daughter is simply beyond incredible when it comes to making something new like this work for us. We have a lot of food that simply can’t be thrown away right now and will be eaten. We’ll have to eat up what is closest to Keto and the rest we’ll donate to a local food bank. Then the Keto party begins! Probably in about 2 weeks. Heck, I’ve even found Keto friendly alcohol recipes. WooHoo!

Thanks again everyone for making me feel so welcome! :heart_eyes:

Joe

(Raj Seth) #24

Glad you found Keto before it was too late. If you have carbage, don’t think about what you paid for it, but what damage it will cause you. Give it away ASAP. Why take another 2 weeks of damage. Go full keto now

(OldFatJoe) #25

That’s just not possible right now. She’s on a fixed income and next Tuesday I’ll have NO income other than unemployment when it finally kicks in. Finances are what will decide the changeover date for us unfortunately. I have a box of veggie burgers that I have to eat first! And here I thought they were good for me. Now I see they’re not. Bummer, I like them a LOT more than real meat…

Joe

(Liz ) #26

Maybe you can use the transition period to gently dial down carbs so when you have the funds to go fully keto you’ll already be most of the way there.

(OldFatJoe) #27

That’s her master plan right now. Use up everything kinda/sorta “good” for us now and go shopping for everything GOOD for us next week.

Joe

(Candy Lind) #28

Oh, Liz, that’s WONDERFUL!:heart_eyes:

(Liz ) #29

Thank you! After I see them tomorrow I’ll update my parent thread :blush:

(Chris W) #30

One of the beautiful things about the cheaper ingredients like eggs they are almost macro perfect so you can pretty much eat a lot of them. I microwave my bacon, cook my eggs with some spinach, dump the whole mess together grease and all and the dog gets to eat the little bit of grease left over, no grease to my drains.

(Bev Walton) #31

BONE BROTH has amazing benefits for all health condition :grinning:please please YouTube it …best thing I found to help my fibro and a probiotic and magnesium malate b4bed … cheap n Amazon or eBay have it…

(Cheryl Meyers) #32

Here is another great resource for low carb recipes that are tried and true: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

And you might find the much-loved and very well done recent keto documentary film The Magic Pill (have linked a free version from youtube, better quality version on Netflix and Amazon). Encouragement for a new way of life, which is actually quite an ancient way - in some respects.

Ya’ll aren’t alone in the struggle to both survive & thrive - and the forums here are open 24/7 :avocado: :bacon::potable_water::herb:

(Candy Lind) #34

I couldn’t find any hot dogs today (WalMart, Costco) with less than 1 carb per link, & most were 2. Maybe it was Sam’s where I saw some that were zero carb. And they’ll be pricey because they’re higher quality … FRUSTRATING.

(OldFatJoe) #35

We saw the “Magic Pill” on Netflix. That was the final push for us to start the change over. Amazing documentary!

Joe

Welcome Joe.

(Karen) #37

Use your veggie burger. Morning Star has 17 protein, 12 net carbs. Add a shmear of mayo to up the fat. And watch other carbs during the day. Check your burger. For nutrition. Not great but you do what you can, right.?

K

(Auden) #38

Dr. Barry talks about cheap keto: https://youtu.be/GHNL4kDcIfo

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

Bacon is not cheap, but you can use bacon fat to fry with and save money on fancy cooking oils (the cheap ones are deadly, anyway; you don’t want to use them no matter how much money you have). You can also get a pound of lard to cook with for much less than the cost of a pound of butter.

My local supermarket sells family packs of chicken legs and thighs with the skin on for a very low price per pound. I get one or two and then parcel everything out into freezer bags in individual servings or in family-meal sizes (but individual servings are better in my house, because we all eat lunch at different times). Pork picnics (shoulder joints) are delicious, inexpensive (per pound), and easy to roast. Even with the bone in, I can get eight to ten servings.

My goal is to buy at a price per pound that makes the cost of a serving less than a dollar. My mother taught me at an early age to gauge portion sizes and figure the cost per serving instead of the cost per pound. Some apparently more-expensive deals actually work out cheaper, when you go by serving size. Buy in bulk whenever you can, and freeze whatever you can’t eat immediately. Don’t forget that you’ll be saving tons of money by not buying carb-loaded processed crap.

Tim Noakes, a physician and nutrition scientist in South Africa, has found that the poor people his foundation works with save so much on doctor’s fees and the income lost from having to take off from work, that they can actually afford a much healthier diet than they at first believe. One woman he speaks of had to take the whole day off, and spend a fortune on bus fare to another town, in order to see her doctor and get the medicine she needed. Once she started eating a whole-food keto diet, her health improved to the point that she no longer needs that medication, so she can save all that money she’s no longer losing—or spend it on better food!

(Candy Lind) #40

Joe, if I can be nosy - where do you live? Maybe folks who live in your region can give out even more shopping tips.