Old man just trying to keep breathing

(OldFatJoe) #114

Tried that too. I remember over 30 years ago seeing a self hypnosis book at the grocery check stand for a buck or so. It worked wonders for me at the time to get to sleep. I’ve tried to apply it to go back to sleep lately with no luck.

Until I discover why I’m waking up early in the first place I probably won’t figure out the remedy.

Joe

+1

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #116

If you’re willing to take NyQuil, have a shot of a good Scotch instead. Your taste buds will thank you. If you’re going to drink that much alcohol, it ought to be alcohol worth drinking, in my opinion. (My first drunk was on NyQuil, and I can still remember the godawful taste.)

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #117

I’m having the sleep thing too. Go to bed somewhere between 10:00 and 11:00. Wake up somewhere between 2-3. Go back to sleep, wake up between 4-5. Go back to sleep, wake up late for work. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s my body crying out for carbs while I sleep. I had gotten into the habit of waking up and snacking over the last couple of years. The sugar always put me down for the night, but it left me groggy the next day too. I seem to be getting fairly good sleep when I get it because I’m not dead on my feet during the day, but I still hope this passes soon.

(OldFatJoe) #118

I don’t wake up craving anything other than an answer to WHY?! It’s driving me absolutely nuts to keep getting only 3-4 hours of sleep at best. If non prescription meds were put in front of me right now I would gladly pay for them. That’s how bad it’s gotten for me. Can’t blame it all on the new diet though I’m sure it is in some responsible.

Gotta work through it and make this a big success. Still losing weight and “feel” lighter. Even my daughter commented this morning that it looked like I lost some more weight. I’ll keep up with the Keto but if the sleep situation doesn’t change soon I’m not sure what to do. I may be forced back to the DARK SIDE.

Joe

(Ron) #119

There are some interesting articles in this thread if you have time to look.

(Ashley) #120

It’s not the same formula as NyQuil, it’s a sleep medication, think it’s called zquill

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #121

Yeah, but I still bet it doesn’t taste as good as a good Scotch whiskey! (hic!) :champagne:

(Ashley) #122

You got me on that one!

(Retta Stephenson) #123

I used to have sleep problems. Tried all the usual. But the absolute best and most effective (for me) was to buy some “rain” sounds from Joe Baker, called Rain for Sleeping and Relaxation. No thunder, no loud surprises. Just… raindrops. After I got used to it, it was as though my mind and body had been trained to instantly start relaxing and drifting off when I turned it on. Mine was an mpg download that I put on my ipod. Lasts for an hour. But nowadays I never make it past 5 minutes. If I wake up later, I turn it on again and am drifting right off. One of the reviewers for it said they put it onto their Echo Dot and have Alexa play it on a loop. Or perhaps you can load it onto your phone. Here’s the link, which has a “listen now” button to sample it. I love the sound of it, but understand it’s not everyone’s cup o tea.
https://smile.amazon.com/Rain-Sleeping-Relaxation-Joe-Baker/dp/B001K5AAJA/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1527413750&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=joe+baker+rain+for+sleeping

Edited to add: just discovered another one very similar, but much cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Just-Natural-Relaxing-Sounds/dp/B001AU6GNE/ref=pd_cp_340_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001AU6GNE&pd_rd_r=874c3d0f-6192-11e8-857f-ef2b1f8c4388&pd_rd_w=kjD1N&pd_rd_wg=nuJAp&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=80460301815383741&pf_rd_r=4R6C1ZZ4GYQ725Y45RNW&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=4R6C1ZZ4GYQ725Y45RNW

(Cathy) #124

I would suggest that you go back and try some of the things that you have already tried over the years. Being in ketosis means that your physiology is now different and things like melatonin may be all you need. Also supplements such as magnesium might be more critical now with age. Our bodies are all moving targets… things are changing all the time.

I was desperate enough that I would have tried just about anything and did what seemed logical and reasonable.

(OldFatJoe) #125

I’ve been hearing a lot about magnesium lately so I did a bunch of research this morning. Holy cow, there are so many different varieties!! I finally decided on KAL Magnesium Glycinate 400 | Vegan, Chelated, Non-GMO, Soy, Dairy, and Gluten Free from Amazon. It costs a few bugs more for this version over just vegan. I went for free shipping so won’t have it for 5 days or so. Hope it helps with sleep like so many reviews claimed. I’m starting to find white noises just tend to irritate me so I stopped. I have no trouble getting to sleep. It’s STAYING asleep that I can’t make happen no matter what I take or do.

Joe

(Omar) #126

They used to sell good melatonin. liquid form under the tongue. I do not see it any more. even if I do not actualy sleep, liquid melatonin give me the feeling that I get after long satisfying sleep.

the pills form of melatonin is useless.

Valerian root also works for me.

(Cathy) #127

I take a pill form of melatonin and it is sublingual (under the tongue). I would think that this delivery would be better than liquid as it takes more time to absorb than a straight up liquid.

(Michael) #128

Waking early. Could it be sleep apnea?

Hi Joe, how is your journey going on? I’ve been cheering for you and your family from far away, hope you are ok. If you can and want please share some update.

All the best. KCKO.

(Wendy) #130

Nice. Just got this. Took my magnesium and am trying to go back to sleep since I work until after 10 tonight. Hope it works. I need to get back to taking my mag again.

(OldFatJoe) #131

I’ve been taking Magnesium Glycinate I got from Amazon for just over a week now. 200 mg in the morning and 200 mg before bed. Not sure if it’s the magnesium or the diet or both but I finally sleep at least 5-6 hours a night without waking up. I feel much more rested and surprisingly have less morning stiffness and pain. I hope it works as well for you.

Joe

(Wendy) #132

I have had good success with it in the past I just started forgetting to take it. Never went back to sleep this morning but I feel well rested. It’s just a long day today. :neutral_face:
Glad you have been getting some sleep! I did get probably 6 hours last night.

(OldFatJoe) #133

Sorry for the lack of updates. Super busy lately as papers were just signed on the new house. Build will hopefully be done by Christmas. VERY excited! Just over two weeks since my job disappeared and still trying to decide whether to go ahead and get a job or just take Social Security and finally relax. Gotta have at least some income to help my daughter with expenses. :wink:

Still not full Keto yet but we’re getting closer every day. We try to work the “bad” stuff in every other day until it’s all gone. My daughter has been exploring Keto deserts lately. OMG! She made a sugar free Jello “creamsicle” fat bomb pie that was amazing and SO filling.

While I don’t yet feel 20 years younger I do feel much better overall since starting Keto. 22 pounds down from my heaviest. I even “feel” much lighter than I look or weigh. Even if I never reach full Keto I know I’ll end up finally losing the weight I’ve been fighting for the last 20 years and I’ll feel so much better and be healthier as an added benefit. All these years I’ve been buying all the wrong foods based on all the wrong diet information that we’ve been “fed”. The so called “experts” have been killing the population with their misinformation. :rage::rage::rage:

Joe